× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Need help on which to buy WiFi 6 RAX 75 or RAX 200

Spen-
Follower

Need help on which to buy WiFi 6 RAX 75 or RAX 200

I am currently looking at the RAX75-100NAS at Costco or the RAX200. We just upgraded out internet speed to 400mbps and had to purchase all new equipment. Basically our equipment is obsolete we purchased a new router CM600. We currently have a Netgear router for our Arlo cameras, and the Apple router which we found is no longer supported. We also have a Linsky WRT To install our VPN on ( purchased last week for the business computers at home and cloud backup we have 2 wdmycloud but that router and vpn has not been installed yet). We need to replace the Apple Router and we are currently considering the RAX75 or the RAX200 not sure if we even need to consider additional options.

OUr home is 3 floors with a walkout basement to the deck where we would like to also eventually install an outside tv with surround sound (Sonos is our speaker choice as it’s compatible with Apple HomeKit), Our Home is just over 5,000 sqft. Not sure if we have Dead spots because we have been having one bar for the last week inside the house over cellular and WiFi. We have 2 gaming systems, PlayStation and Xbox, 9 tv streaming devices and counting, And 40 smart home devices ( 2 outdoor And indoor plugs, blinds, smart coffee maker, refrigerator, washer/dryer electrical outlets, etc...), plus 5 desktop (2 will go on the vpn router) 3 tablets 2- Laptop, 4 iphones and one iPod.

Our iPhones will be the only devices with wifi6 however, since we need to upgrade we decided to go with the wifi6 since it will still work with older devices.

Any suggestions, please help!
Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

with a home thats 5000sqft I'd recommend a mesh setup and not a single router setup. A single router solution is going to struggle to cover that much area. My house is tri-level 3200sqft and a single router wasn't enough. I switched to a mesh setup and it was a night and day difference in coverage and performance

Message 2 of 6
jay_w
Guide

I agree. 5000 sq ft cannot be covered unless you have a perfectly square house and the router is exactly in the middle of the house. That said, why aren’t you considering the RAX120 with the Broadcom chip. 1.0.0.84 is very stable with AX disabled. I have great signal on 2.4 and 5.0. The Tri-band router is only exciting if you’re interested in a dedicated network for your gaming... but my Switch with rocket league is continuously 50ms Ping..:: on the 5mhz channel.
Message 3 of 6
avtella
Prodigy

RAX120 uses a Qualcomm chipset, which I believe is better than the Broadcom chipset used in the RAX80 and RAX200. Qualcomm generally has all advertised features working in a proper manner unlike Broadcom with its MU mess last gen. Even if you game and have numerous devices I highly doubt a tribals will really help much. Plus with 8 antennas on a single 5Ghz band it has better antenna diversity. Trina did won’t increase coverage over the RAX120.
Message 4 of 6
avtella
Prodigy

Stupid auto correct I meant Tri-band when it corrected to “tribal” and “trina did”.
Message 5 of 6
jay_w
Guide

Yes! Sorry I was mixed up, thanks for correcting.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7