× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Need to open port 8081 for security camera access away from home network

jmhga44
Star

Need to open port 8081 for security camera access away from home network

I am trying to set up my laptop to access my security cameras when I am away from my home network and have found that my IP address is blocking port 8081 which I think is a needed port to access the cameras. I contacted my IP provider and they mentioned that I would have to work with my router since it's not provided by the IP provider. Is it possible with the RAX 50 router admin page to open port 8081 so that my IP address can see it and if so how would I do that?

Message 1 of 14
schumaku
Guru

Yes, of course permitting your ISP does assign a public routeable IPv4 address to your RAX50 router. Your undefined security camera does listen on the LAN on port 8081/TCP?

If yes, look here: How do I add a custom port forwarding service on my NETGEAR router? 

While talking, have an eye on your router user manual, and read into the chapter "Set up and manage Dynamic DNS" (on the Nighthawk AX6 6-Stream AX5400 WiFi Router Models RAX50 and RAX50v2 User Manual it starts from p.120) - likely something you need to be done to locate your router public IP address from the other Internet connected computer.

The "Manage port forwarding to a local server" is documented and starts from p.139 in the fine User Manual.

Last, assuming your security camera is getting it's IP address on the LAN from the RAX50, I suggest to reserve an IP address for your camera, as shown in the chapter "Manage reserved LAN IP addresses", p.62.

Regards,

-Kurt.

Message 2 of 14
jmhga44
Star

Kurt..thanks for replying. I tried the instructions in your first link to see if port 8081 would show as open from canyouseeme.org and it times out..Port 37777 (the port I'm using to get to the camera from my home network) shows as open. I'm thinking that port 8081 needs to be open too. On the instructions in your first link number 12 mentions the internal IP address. Is that the IP address of the camera?

Message 3 of 14
schumaku
Guru

8081/TCP can't how open before you have enabled the NAT forwarding for the port 8081/TCP (one to one NAT), the IP address on the LAN is the one the DHCP server assigns to the camera on your LAN, visible in the list of currently connected devices on your router.

Are you convinced the camera does listen on port 8081/TCP on the LAN?

Tell us more about the camera in question

Message 4 of 14
jmhga44
Star

I used the IP address for the camera in your port forwarding instructions and was able to get port 8081 opened to my IP provider address...but I'm still unable to access the camera from outside my home network. I may contact the vendor of the security camera/software next. Thanks again for the help.

Message 5 of 14
schumaku
Guru

Can you reach the camera on the LAN while connected to the LAN or on the RAX wireless network?

Where is the idea coming from you desperately want to use 8081/TCP instead of the 37777/TCP you said before?

If 37777/TCP works on the LAN and you like to use 8081/TCP, put this port as the  WAN / Internet facing port number, while keep the destination pointing to the LAN IP on port 37777/TCP. This is named port translation, perfectly valid.

Message 6 of 14
jmhga44
Star

I can get to the camera from my phone which is connected to my Wi-Fi...and I can also get to the camera from my home laptop which is connected to my home network via Ethernet.

Message 7 of 14

@jmhga44 wrote:

I am trying to set up my laptop to access my security cameras when I am away from my home network ....

What are these security cameras? You did not answer @schumaku when they asked for that information.

Some cameras have no need for network tricks. Arlo, for example, has its own cloud interface for the job.

Message 8 of 14
jmhga44
Star

I should have mentioned that the system consists of a HD DVR and 4 HD cameras attached to it. I'm using the Smart PSS software to access the HD DVR from the home laptop. Whenever I'm trying to access the DVR when I'm away from the home network I'm using the same laptop/software. I'm going to contact the vendor of the Smart PSS software later this week to see if they can help with getting the remote entry on the software set up correctly.

Message 9 of 14
schumaku
Guru

Short investigation shows the ability to access the Smart PSP by a peer-to-peer system Smart PSP P2P Remote Access (usually much more secure [or obscure]) than exposing a port to the wild Internet. Alternate, they offer Smart PSP Remote Access Port Forward (undisputed there is something you have to configure on your router, too). Hope this helps. Happy Sunday @jmhga44 ! 

Message 10 of 14

@jmhga44 wrote:

I'm going to contact the vendor of the Smart PSS software later this week to see if they can help with getting the remote entry on the software set up correctly.

Sounds like a good strategy.

It isn't really the router maker's place to know how all the different bits of connected stuff work.

One way to check local expertise is to search this community on the make of the devices you are trying to set up.

As you can see, you have thrown a new one into the mix:

Search - NETGEAR Communities – "Smart PSS"

Message 11 of 14
schumaku
Guru

Smart PSS of course, sorry for my typos.

Message 12 of 14
jmhga44
Star

Kurt.. I looked at your first link for SmartPSS P2P Remote Access on how to set up a new entry..I followed those instructions and the new entry came online and when I set up my home laptop to not be on my home network (using the Mobile HotSpot) I was able to see the cameras with that entry. Thanks for the help.

Message 13 of 14
jmhga44
Star

Michael.. Yes I think I added some new software to the mix...didn't see any prior threads other than mine. I was able to get the remote access to the cameras working using a link to a doc from a prior post. The true test will be when I'm out of town and try to access the cameras. Thanks for the info.

Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7