× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 Version R6900v2 can't obtain ip address after restarting, works after facto

A_Payne
Follower

Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 Version R6900v2 can't obtain ip address after restarting, works after facto

Hello, I'm hopping I can get some help figuring out what is going on with my Nighthawk. I've had it for about 5-ish years, and never had any problems until recently. Everything works fine until the power resets (it has been storming here recently so that has been a common occurrence). After that none of my devices are able to connect, but it does show the networks. My phone says that it is unable to obtain ip address. No amout of restarting the modem/router gets it to work. After I factory reset the router everything works fine until the power goes out, then I have to factory reset it all over again, which is time consuming, and since I work from home, not ideal. Any ideas on how to fix it so I don't have to factory reset it every time the power goes out? Thank you!
Firmware v1.2.0.92
Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 Version R6900v2 can't obtain ip address after restarting, works after f

If you're having that frequent of power outages i'd invest in a backup power supply for it. 

I'd also make a backup of it. 

You could try downgrading the firmware a version. I've seen versions sometimes cause issues with reboots. 

Message 2 of 3

Re: Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 Version R6900v2 can't obtain ip address after restarting, works after f

@A_Payne wrote:
Everything works fine until the power resets (it has been storming here recently so that has been a common occurrence). After that none of my devices are able to connect, but it does show the networks.

It might be worth diagnosing that bit of the process. Try to track down why things don't reconnect.

It could be something as simple as the order in which the network restarts. If the modem/gateway in front of the router is too slow, then the router can just throw in the towel before it can establish a connection.

Try starting the modem before the router tried to do its stuff.

Out of interest, what is the modem?

After I factory reset the router everything works fine until the power goes out, then I have to factory reset it all over again, which is time consuming, and since I work from home, not ideal. Any ideas on how to fix it so I don't have to factory reset it every time the power goes out?

The first move should be to save a backup copy of the settings, then the next time it all goes haywire, restore that.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7