× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New Firmware for RAXE500 1.0.11.94 released

Killhippie
Prodigy

New Firmware for RAXE500 1.0.11.94 released

New Features: 11/25/2022

• Adds the options for Japan.
  • Supports the WPA2+WPA3 mixed mode for a guest network.

Security Fixes:

• Fixes security vulnerabilities.

Bug Fixes:

• Fixes a bug that prevents you from accessing the router web interface when the router is in AP mode.
  • Fixes a bug that causes throughput degradation when a client goes off channel and the channel width for the 5 GHz radio or 6 GHz radio is 160 MHz.

Download Link:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/raxe500.aspx#download

Manually update FW on the router if this isn't seen on the routers web page:

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

NOTE: Use a wired PC and web browser to update router FW. If continued problems are seen after a FW update, it's recommended to try a factory reset and setup from scratch with out loading any saved configurations from backup files.

https://kb.netgear.com/9665/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-NETGEAR-router

https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...

NOTE: Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.

Cooling: Its recommended to install a USB laptop cooler under the router for 24/4 cooling. Helps keep the router cool and helps avoid heat damage to the electronics.

This article applies to:

Message 1 of 15
Killhippie
Prodigy

Re: New Firmware for RAXE500 1.0.11.94 released

The lights still don't flicker for Wi-Fi but do on Ethernet as in the last version, straight upgrade with no factory reset, all appears to be working fine so far, but early days ...

Message 2 of 15
plemans
Guru

Updated mine. We'll see how it works. 

Thanks for posting that it was updated

Message 3 of 15
Killhippie
Prodigy

I just noticed it this morning and was thinking one would be along soon, I'm guessing the internet lights are not meant to flicker on Wi-Fi on this unit? Has this been reported to Netgear? I did a factory reset in the end, not really needed but I like to make sure, all working as it should so far, no overheating issues, never had any with RAX120 (v1) either but and that included up to 40C in the summer in the UK this year. Router runs cool but its winter here, as long as the router has a clear airflow around it it should be okay but if not follow the instructions if needed, no issues with standard DHCP pool either but everyone's mileage varies once again, all good advice if you run into issues.

Message 4 of 15
Tonkinite
Luminary

My RAXE500 upgraded with no issues, so far it seems quite stable.

Message 5 of 15
Killhippie
Prodigy

Are you internet and Wi-Fi lights flickering with traffic passing though? Mine have been static but the Ethernet port lights flicker with traffic movement only, same as in the last version. Is this how yours has always been if it has the same behaviour?

Message 6 of 15
Tonkinite
Luminary

The Ethernet LEDs are flickering, and the Internet and WiFi ones seem static on my router, I don’t recall if the static ones were the same before, but I think so. I wondered if the static ones might be flickering, just at a speed too high to notice, so I took slow motion video of the front panel; the Internet LED seems definitely flickering, and I think the WiFi ones might be also, but faster.

if you have a smartphone with a camera capable of slow motion video, you might try to capture the front panel lights on your router and see what happens.

Message 7 of 15
Killhippie
Prodigy

I tried it on my iPhone 14 Pro and they seem pretty static as you say the Ethernet port ones flicker, the RAX120 ones also flicker but slowly enough that you can see them. I'm guessing its either a bug or by design, as the RAX120 didn't have the orange light for loss of internet like the RAXE500, well my version 1 didn't, or its just a bug but tbh maybe they just represent the fact Wi-Fi is on and flickering would be seen as annoying, even though I would like to see them do it personally. Great idea though, I recorded at 1080P at 240FPS and 1080P at 120 FPS and saw no indication of any flickering.

Message 8 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Checking with NG on this:

Solid white - The WiFi radios is operating or enabled.
Blinking white - The router is sending or receiving WiFi traffic.
Off - The WiFi radios are off or disabled.

I've passed this on to NG for there review...

Message 9 of 15
Killhippie
Prodigy

Had a reply from Netgear about the RAXE500 wifi lights and network lights etc not flickering.

"Wi-Fi LED is the design instead of a bug. In the RAXE500, we connect the LED to GPIO pin which means the LED is controlled by SW not Wi-Fi chip. So its hard to do the blinking when traffic go though Wi-Fi interface."

Hope that helps people, its by design not a bug. 

Message 10 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Confirmed: 

" The Raxe500 lights do not blink when traffic is happening. They said they will update the user manual to reflect this"

Message 11 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

So here is a first to date ever seeing 4800Mpbs connection rate between two devices. 😲

RAXE500 in wireless bridge mode connected to a RBKE960 on 6Ghz:

image_2022-12-10_105209040.png

Message 12 of 15
PM3
Guide
Guide

Still didn't auto update.

When I clicked check for update it only updated GUI Language Version V1.0.11.94_2.1.46.1 not the firmware.

I had to download and install the firmware manually from the web site.

Liked the added support for WPA2+WPA3 on guest network.

Still would love to see Smart Connect on the Guest network.

Message 13 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend avoiding using AU.

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats