× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New RAX29 AX2400 working but wired connections are not showing correct download speed

CC82
Aspirant

New RAX29 AX2400 working but wired connections are not showing correct download speed

Installed new RAX29 AX2400 and all is working except when I do a speed test using different apps for the wired devices, they all come back barely showing over 100mbps. I pay for 200 from Verizon FIOS. Switching these devices to wifi using the same apps they show over 200+. The wired devices are connected with Cat 6 cable end to end with no jacks or patch cords. The FIOS g1100 router and a TP Link AX1800 I tried both showed upto 300mbps for the same wired connections using the same speed test apps.

Any ideas as to what I can check?

Thanks

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: New RAX29 AX2400 working but wired connections are not showing correct download speed

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Your ISP modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem. https://kb.netgear.com/25891/DMZ-on-NETGEAR-routers
https://kb.netgear.com/24086/How-do-I-set-up-a-default-DMZ-server-on-my-Nighthawk-router
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the NG router to the modem, LAN to LAN configure AP mode on the NG router.
https://kb.netgear.com/24104/How-do-I-change-my-Nighthawk-router-to-AP-mode-after-I-ve-already-run-s...

Message 2 of 8
CC82
Aspirant

I only have internet from Verizon. They have a fiber box that has a 5' Cat 7 ethernet cable going from that to the router which was used to connect their g1100 to. All I did was replace their router with the Netgear. As I said it works except the speed tests with two wired divices barely show over 100mbps but the wifi is correct. With the Fios rouer and TP link ax1800 the wired speeds were consistant. About 250 for wifi and 300 for wired. The two wired devices are Fire Sticks 4k MAX. I just ran a another cat 5e cable to one the devices and nothing changed.

I even changed out the cat 7 from the Verion box to the router with a cat5e. Switched the cat 6 cables on all 4 ports and still a lower wired reading. I am not having an issues at this time with streaming with the wired devices. The cat 6 cables going to these two devices are 35' and 50'.

Is it possible that all 4 ports on this router are bad?

Message 3 of 8
CC82
Aspirant

Verison is V1.0.5.70_1

Message 4 of 8
CC82
Aspirant

Might have found the problem:

I took my laptop and disabled the wifi and pluged it into the router and did a speed test.

Got 307mbps just like with the last two routers.

I then disconnected the Fire Stick Cat 6 cable and pluged it into the laptop.

Did a speed test and got 307mbps.

Since both tests showed the router was passing the correct speeds I can only assume it's one of two things.

1. The speed test apps used on the Fire Sticks are faulty but not likely since I unistalled them and re-installed them.

2. Something on the Fire Stick changed, possibly a update, that is preventing the Fire Stick from doing a speed test at a higher mbps.

2. The gigabyte adapters on the Firesticks are faulty. These are only a few weeks old so I am not sure how to test them and why both would crap out.

These are USB 3 adapters so I will plug them into my laptop and see if I can bypass the built in network adapter.

I can also try the USB adapter on a non Amazon streaming device and see what happens.

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

not sure what firestick you had exactly, but I thought their usb ports were 2.0

I wouldn't trust those tests. 

good thing is though, most streaming only needs 25-40mbps for 4k content. Its why you see so many tv's/streamers with only fast ethernet and not gigabit connections. 

Message 6 of 8
CC82
Aspirant

Think its a Fire Stick issue.

Conneted the USB gigabyte adapter to my laptop and got 300mbps.

I changed out the OTG cable on the Fire Stick with a new one. Still low download speed

Tried two diiferent higher watt power suplies on the Fire Stick. Still low speed reading.

I can only suspect something changed on the Fire Stick that is restricking getting the max speed form the adaper. I now only get about 100 to 150 when I used to get 300.

Message 7 of 8
CC82
Aspirant

Yes the Fire Stick is limted to USB 2 specs due to its Micro usb port but still should report speeds up to 480mbps.

Besides the tests I did above, I had access to a TP Link AX3000 and a Verizon G3100.

I hooked up again the Verizon G1100 router and the wired speed test came back as 300mbps.

I then tried it with the AX300 and barely got over 100mbps just like the Netgear.

I then tried the Verizon G3100 and got 300

The AX3000 and Netgear are the only senerios I tested where the reported wired speed tests were low. All the routers showed the the wireless speeds consistantly.

Being I am not having any streaming issues with the AX3000 and Netgear it may be possible that I am getting 300 speed and just these two routers are reporting it incorrectly, but I have no way of telling.

I am going to end this thread until I have a solution to the problem or someone can suggest something I need to look at or change.

Thanks

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7