× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RAX43/RAX50 Firmware Version 1.0.12.120 Released

microchip8
Master

@Retired_Member wrote:

After initially 1.0.12.120_2.0.83 didn't work for me, I had returned to 1.0.11.112 for my RAX43 (which RAX54S uses) and the network in my home was solid for a couple of weeks. I had left auto-update function on and today it must have somehow pushed 1.0.12.120_2.0.83 again and my wife lost connectivity during work and our handheld devices and phones were posting three times slower wifi speeds while our AppleTVs could not even connect.

So just reporting that 1.0.12.120_2.0.83 is still not functional for RAX43 routers. I used to test and submit logs for Netgear for better firmware but I can't do that anymore as my wife works from home and can't mess with the network as much. 

Works just fine here on my RAX43. This is after a maunal update. Auto-update here is disabled since it can brick your router, not just reset it.

Message 26 of 72
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@microchip8 wrote:

Works just fine here on my RAX43. This is after a maunal update. Auto-update here is disabled since it can brick your router, not just reset it.

Not here. I have disabled auto-update indeed because it did end up updating and degraded wi-fi speeds and connectivity. Wasn't sure about bricking, so that is good to know as well. I have done manual updates back in the second week of November when it first came out as well. It could be my particular configuration but it is not 100% on my end.

Message 27 of 72
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@PaulGo wrote:

Bushmaster78FS - Did just going back to the previous firmware resolve the problem?  For me it was a lot more difficult.  I had to  go back to the previous firmware (that did not help) do a reset (that did not help). I could not load the config file I saved since it was for the newer firmware and was not compatible with the older firmware.  I the put the newer firmware back (that did not help).  Finally what worked was loading the saved config file which I saved and that restored my Wi-Fi speeds.  So far it is working but I am not changing any settings since that seems to trigger the WI-Fi slowdown.

It indeed worked for me; I went back to 1.0.11.112_2.0.77 via a manual upload on the Admin/Router Update page. Once it successfully uploaded that, I selected "Revert to factory default settings" under Admin/Backup Settings and re-configured the router. So far so good. 

Message 28 of 72
PaulGo
Luminary

After Comcast had a lengthy service interruption I had to reboot the cable modem and then the router. The problem with the slow Wi-Fi speed happened again and this time I could not recover. I was able to return the router and instead I went to
Costco and got the RAX54S. Netgear has not yeat released the updated formeare for this router but it uses the same firmware number and usually release date as the RAX50.

Message 29 of 72
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Mine is a Netgear CM1000, I own it, not sure why this matters though

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Absolutely

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

This is standard practice for me

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Yes

A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.

This has been accomplished as well. 

Message 30 of 72
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@PaulGo wrote:

After Comcast had a lengthy service interruption I had to reboot the cable modem and then the router. The problem with the slow Wi-Fi speed happened again and this time I could not recover. I was able to return the router and instead I went to
Costco and got the RAX54S. Netgear has not yeat released the updated formeare for this router but it uses the same firmware number and usually release date as the RAX50.

RAX54S is currently using the previous firmware for the RAX43.  (1.0.11.112)

Message 31 of 72
keith7777
Aspirant

Did you just revert to the old firmware and revert then factory reset? I just reverted but didn't factory reset yet. 

Message 32 of 72
PaulGo
Luminary

Yes, first I tried a factory reset on the new version - did not work.  Then I went back to the older version and another dfactory reset  - did not work. Then I went back to the new version - did not work.  Then I loaded my confg file from the new versio which previously workedbut not longer resored my Wi-Fi speed.  Then I gave up!

Message 33 of 72
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I always reset to default settings, I upload the desired firmware, and I do another factory reset to the uploaded firmware.
Message 34 of 72
FURRYe38
Guru

Too All RAX43/50v1 series users:

For those of you who saw or continue to see FW auto update issues after your router was updated. Please PM me your model router and serial number. NG would like to look further in to this issue. 

Message 35 of 72
Twitchrot
Star

Hi all,

Uploaded this new firmware about a week ago and there has been nothing but issues with WIFI (mainly 5Ghz), general throughput issues and random timeouts.  

After sticking it out for 5 days and troubleshooting different options,  I have had to do a factory reset, and load up v1.0.11.112 and everything has returned to normal.

My overall concern is the stability of this version so would not recommend it for anyone.  The other issue with this is the security vulnerabilities that exist between v1.0.11.112 and v1.0.12.120, what confidence do we have that they are actually addressed if the firmware itself is this unstable?  

Message 36 of 72
PaulGo
Luminary

After replacing the router with the RAX54S I needed to wait a month for v1.0.12.120 to be released.  So far the version for this router has been 100% stable. 

Message 37 of 72
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you factory reset and setup from scratch after loading v.120? 

Would need more details and information and troubleshooting before calling v.120 bad for everyone. 

@Twitchrot wrote:

Hi all,

Uploaded this new firmware about a week ago and there has been nothing but issues with WIFI (mainly 5Ghz), general throughput issues and random timeouts.  

After sticking it out for 5 days and troubleshooting different options,  I have had to do a factory reset, and load up v1.0.11.112 and everything has returned to normal.

My overall concern is the stability of this version so would not recommend it for anyone.  The other issue with this is the security vulnerabilities that exist between v1.0.11.112 and v1.0.12.120, what confidence do we have that they are actually addressed if the firmware itself is this unstable?  

Message 38 of 72
Twitchrot
Star

Alright I admit perhaps bit dramatic and this might work for "some" but this isn't the first time this has happened.   I did do a factory reset and start from scratch with poor results, but Netgear should be asking, is that the experience we want for our customers?    Do we have to do a factory reset every time a new firmware is released.  If this was BETA firmware then I could completely understand operating in this type of environment but we are not.  This is public release firmware, not BETA.

Message 39 of 72
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya I get that aswell. 
We don't know what goes on in the dark dungeons at NG. QA and testing there seems not fully working as we would expect. 

All we can do on this side of the moat is to troubleshoot where we can which includes FRs. Mostly used as a last resort. A power cycle of the router and ISP modem OFF for 1 minute then back on is generally a good first step to take. Making or taking suggestions given in some configuration changes on the router along the way. If all troubleshooting has been exhausted then a FR is needed. See this fix issues many times so it is was it is. 

Message 40 of 72
PaulGo
Luminary

I still have problems with Comcast’s IPv6 vCMTS. After three weeks I lost IPv6 and In the advanced tab for IPv6 I has to restart the acquisition of IPv6 either through DHCP or Auto Detect which for Comcast defaults th DHCP. It is a lot better than before sine I used to lose IPve with the previous build every few hours.   

Message 41 of 72
Zeila
Aspirant

Having nothing but problems with this firmware. Had to revert to older firmware + factory reset. I kept getting a lot of disconnections at random. Hard to have that when working from home.

Message 42 of 72
rax48user1
Initiate

Created an account here to post that my RAX48 got this firmware and after 5 days troubleshooting little issues in the house, looked to see if the router got a firmware update - yup,1.0.12.120. Saw this, reverted to V1.0.11.112_2.0.77 and everything is golden again.

My issues were all related to stability on the 5ghz band, mostly with smart home devices. We use smart connect for a single SSID, but every device having issues was seen in attached devices running on 5ghz. I did factory reset my router twice before I found the post to revert. And, when I loaded the 1.0.11.112 firmware from the GUI, it appeared to be a factory reset then too. 

Lmk if any hardware info would help Netgear disable this firmware that is impacting customers. 

Message 43 of 72
alsina86
Aspirant

I think the problem may be related to the high temperatures of the router. I have recently noticed when I have the air conditioning on the router remains stable and when I turn it off a moment later the WiFi disconnects. I'm doing some tests with a fan to see how it goes. I will keep you informed.

Firmware Version 1.0.11.112
Message 44 of 72
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you install a laptop fan cooler under the router? 

What is the CPU usage % seen on the routers ip address/debug.htm page? 

Message 45 of 72
alsina86
Aspirant

great idea, i'll try it
Message 46 of 72
Gregoirec
Tutor

Just wanted to chime in to also notify that my RAX50 with firmware 1.0.12.120 is losing current settings after every restart / power off.

I also noted that if I download current settings in a cfg file, the file contains the same old settings the router would revert to after a reboot, not the current settings.

Message 47 of 72
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.

@Gregoirec wrote:

Just wanted to chime in to also notify that my RAX50 with firmware 1.0.12.120 is losing current settings after every restart / power off.

I also noted that if I download current settings in a cfg file, the file contains the same old settings the router would revert to after a reboot, not the current settings.

Message 48 of 72
snowcr4sh
Tutor

Re: New - RAX42/43/45/50 Firmware Version 1.0.12.120 Released

We own two RAX45 AX4300 routers and upgrading from 1.0.11.112 to 1.0.12.120 via the web interface wipes out the wifi settings. You also can't restore saved settings after it happens.

1. If this update was meant to wipe out wifi settings, (I can't imagine it would be), it shouldn't be pushed out automatically and should be noted in the release notes. If it wasn't by design, it is inexcusable to me how this missed QA testing. They clearly didn't test it at all.
    1. You have to keep non-savvy customers in mind - they'll have no clue and one morning wake up with no internet, for example, my parents (I had to fix it).
  2. Being unable to restore an old settings file to while running a newer firmware is just poor design or laziness at the least (this is the exact scenario in which it would be helpful). I haven't seen this limitation explained anywhere, and upon restore attempt you just receive a generic checksum error - how about an error explaining this limitation so the customer knows how to correct it? Very poor error handling.
  3. I've gone through all of these forum posts and the only advice given is to factory reset, revert to older versions, etc. It is the same behavior every time - it is clearly a bad release. Very frustrating.
Message 49 of 72
PaulGo
Luminary

Re: New - RAX40/42/43/45/50 V1 Firmware Version 1.0.12.120 Released

According toi this Netgear website Netgear will be releasing version 2 of our routers.  I wonder what was changed.

https://kb.netgear.com/000061281/Which-products-support-NETGEAR-Armor

Message 50 of 72
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7