× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New RAX75 - is it really only 32 devices per band?

GH305
Follower

New RAX75 - is it really only 32 devices per band?

Just bought a new RAX75 from Costco. I'm trying to test something where I need to connect 100 devices to my home wifi that just go to a simple webpage. So my issue isn't bandwidth (have gigabit internet) but I can't seem to connect all 100 devices at once. They're on the 2.4GHz network, and I'm using both my main and guest SSIDs. I just called netgear support who said this fancy modern router can only handle 32 devices per frequency. I seem to be able to get about 50 devices connected, but what I don't understand is this claim from netgear's own product literature: "8 WiFi streams (four in the 2.4GHz band and four in the 5GHz band) offer four times the device capacity as compared to typical 2x2 AC WiFi." So shouldn't I be able to connect 32 x 4 = 128 devices in the 2.4 band? If not, back to Costco this goes and I guess after many years with netgear it's time to switch brands.

If possible I'm hoping someone can answer that it can support X number of devices. Surely there's some known number of devices. I'm using router as a DHCP server from .2 to .254 so I certainly have room for 100 devices, I would think.

Thanks.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: New RAX75 - is it really only 32 devices per band?

Most consumer routers limit the active number of wireless connections possible.  This ensures stability/performance. This isn't just Netgear doing this.  I think cisco had it set at 32 and then 50 wireless devices for a while. I'm not sure if they're still at that though.

Your options to get around this are to go to 3rd party firmware (not supported here) or stepping up to business class routing devices. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7