× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: New - RAXE500 Firmware Version 1.0.10.86 Released

FURRYe38
Guru

New - RAXE500 Firmware Version 1.0.10.86 Released

New Features: 7/12/22

• Supports SpeedTest sever manual select list
  • Supports HK, UAE Wi-Fi country options

Security Fixes:

• Fixes security vulnerabilities.

For more information about security vulnerabilities, visit https://www.netgear.com/about/security

Bug Fixes:

• Fixes IEEE 802.3ad can not establish connections issue.
  • Fixes new USB folder created with admin not working issue.

Firmware Update Instructions:

Download Link:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/raxe500.aspx#download

To update your router’s firmware, follow the instructions in your router’s user manual. To view your router’s user manual, visit https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RAXE500.aspx#docs

NOTE: Nighthawk app or the routers web page may not report seeing new FW updates. NG may not push this to there auto update services immediately and may activate the newer FW update being seen on there auto update services at a later time. User will have the choice to manually update if you want too.

Manually update FW on the router if this isn't seen on the routers web page:

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

NOTE: Use a wired PC and web browser to update router FW. If continued problems are seen after a FW update, it's recommended to try a factory reset and setup from scratch with out loading any saved configurations from backup files.

https://kb.netgear.com/9665/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-NETGEAR-router

This article applies to:

Let us know how it works for you...

Message 1 of 51
Tonkinite
Luminary

I saw some odd behavior with this build after startup:

- On startup the Guest networks briefly appeared and then went away. I don't have these enabled, perhaps this was happening previously and I just haven't caught it in the past.

- The 2.4GHz band showed as Hidden even after the 5GHz network appeared, Smart connect is enabled and neither should be hidden. I was going to bounce the router, but I used the front panel to disable the hardware radios and reenable them, and this issue went away. Possibly a startup race condition of some kind.

I took some screen captures of the WiFi patterns this time. The attached shot shows the 2.4GHz Surveillance Guest network at the top of the status list, and the main 2.4 GHz network hidden, Netgear:39:F1:A3, while showing the main 5GHz network Ascension up and running.

I have additional screenshots that show more details, but it appears I can only attach one at a time. 

No, I haven't done a factory reset yet, if the issue reoccurs I'll do that, and I'll likely explore further on the weekend. I wish factory resets were't so time consuming.

Message 2 of 51
FURRYe38
Guru

A pro for factory reset is that if you can reset and setup from scratch, soon after, make a backup configuration to file. I recommend this backup not include additional router features like Access Controls, Armor, SPC and Traffic Meter. Just make a base backup config to file. This will save you time IF and when factory resets are needed. You'll be back up in a few minutes rather than hours. LOL. Afterwards, if you enable any additional features, make another back up of this as well. So you have a base and a featured backup in case something happens. 

Message 3 of 51
Tonkinite
Luminary

I don’t use those features, so I’m more or less doing that already. I have a number of other features that default to on turned off as well, such as PnP, IP6, media sharing, etc

Message 4 of 51
FURRYe38
Guru

Kewl. Sounds good. Less is more. LOL

Back ups save time for sure. 

Can you tell us if you see System Uptime on the routers debug web page and also do you happen to see Thermal Fan option anywhere on this page? 

Message 5 of 51
p0se1d0nX
Star

How come Netgear’s last couple of firmware updates for the RAXE500 (including this one) are NOT being pushed via the automatic fw update feature either on the Nighthawk app or through the gui login page? 

Instead it now needs to be updated manually by the user. Did I miss something that NG has changed regarding fw updates?

Message 6 of 51
FURRYe38
Guru

Some FW updates may not come down via AU. Also if you have AU disabled, you may not see it. 

NG maybe scaling back some AU processes as we've seen historically that AU has causes problems. So it's recommended that users, IF you wanna update, manually update FW. Again, this is keeping with letting users have some control over there router systems and dealing with FW updates. 

Message 7 of 51
p0se1d0nX
Star

Is the consensus to update to this latest firmware or is it buggy and advisable to stay on the last fw release?

Also is it recommended to have AU enabled or best to update firmware MANUALLY?

Message 8 of 51
Tonkinite
Luminary

With a hard restart of the router this morning, I saw the same symptoms as previously (with the 2.4GHz SSID being hidden and staying hidden). I examined the router settings via the admin interface and found some of the lower band settings appearing incorrect, most notably the security setting which indicated off rather than mixed wpa3/wpa2. I corrected this and modified the channel, which I had previously planned to do anyway, and applied. The startup was clean this time, though the guest network appeared briefly as before (curiously this doesn’t happen with the higher bands). I then did another hard restart and the behavior was fine also. I have to wonder if the router must be sometimes having a problem corrupting internal settings during a firmware update and whether that’s at least a partial rationale for the factory reset recommendation.

I did see the System Uptime on the debug page but I do not see any Thermal Fan text on this page either with Safari or Firefox, might this require some other option to be set?

Message 9 of 51
FURRYe38
Guru

Would you post screen captures of what you see if and when this happens again? 

Ya, I guess thermal fan wasn't included in the UI for the 500. Would be nice to have that to help keep the unit cool. I have external fan running with my 500. 

@Tonkinite wrote:

With a hard restart of the router this morning, I saw the same symptoms as previously (with the 2.4GHz SSID being hidden and staying hidden). I examined the router settings via the admin interface and found some of the lower band settings appearing incorrect, most notably the security setting which indicated off rather than mixed wpa3/wpa2. I corrected this and modified the channel, which I had previously planned to do anyway, and applied. The startup was clean this time, though the guest network appeared briefly as before (curiously this doesn’t happen with the higher bands). I then did another hard restart and the behavior was fine also. I have to wonder if the router must be sometimes having a problem corrupting internal settings during a firmware update and whether that’s at least a partial rationale for the factory reset recommendation.

I did see the System Uptime on the debug page but I do not see any Thermal Fan text on this page either with Safari or Firefox, might this require some other option to be set?

Message 10 of 51
Tonkinite
Luminary

I’ll try to remember to do that.

I restarted the router over the weekend, the 5GHz band was half width at 80 at the time and had been like that for three or more days prior to that. After the restart, the 5GHz band was back to full width at 160. The router had been running for almost two weeks since the previous restart.

Message 11 of 51
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds good. Have you added any additional cooling under the router? 

Message 12 of 51
Tonkinite
Luminary

No, my router has never run especially hot, the air coming off the top is perhaps 85° to 90°, even with roughly 55 devices attached, including 8 WiFi cameras. I do have virtually all of the optional features turned off though.

It sounds like your router is having a tougher time, I wonder what is different?

Message 13 of 51
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok if it's running cool and working fine. I was just making a recommendation. I like to keep a little extra cooling with any router I run. Just helps extend the life. 

Message 14 of 51
p0se1d0nX
Star

If you don’t mind me asking, exactly what cooling fan/system are you using with your RAXE500. I might consider getting one. Thanks
Message 15 of 51
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/RAX120-V2-Constant-Random-Reboots/...

@p0se1d0nX wrote:
If you don’t mind me asking, exactly what cooling fan/system are you using with your RAXE500. I might consider getting one. Thanks

Message 16 of 51
Killhippie
Prodigy

I saw some odd behaviour setting this router up, first of all it automatically downloaded the latest update (I dont use auto update but it checks for new versions, I set the router up logged in and everything was German, a switch to English then back to auto sorted this out.Then I did a factor reset, all I got was the screen for Netgear privacy though, not the start up screen via Ethernet, and of course it would not connect as it had not even been set up so you go into this never ending spiral. Turning the router off for a while seems to correct this issue. I set up via Wi-Fi this time and then took over via Ethernet, but if I factory reset the router displays the Netgear privacy screen not the log in screen, you have to power down then it works, most odd behaviour.

Message 17 of 51
Killhippie
Prodigy

I also noticed only my Ethernet port lights are flickering my Wi-Fi lights don't flicker at all. tried turn them and onn again but nothing happens, is this how they are meant to be?

Message 18 of 51
FURRYe38
Guru

Anything is possible with NG FW now days. 

I haven't seen any issues during factory reset and setup from scratch using ethernet. I always use ethernet. 

You didn't see this behavior on prior version of FW? 

Message 19 of 51
Tonkinite
Luminary

With this build the 5GHz band is consistently shifting from a width of 160 to 80 after around ten days and I usually restart it at that point 

Message 20 of 51
FURRYe38
Guru

How do you have wifi and advanced Wifi configured? 

What all do you have connected on 5Ghz? 

Does the router feel extra warm to the touch on top? 

Any wifi neighbors near by? 

Message 21 of 51
Tonkinite
Luminary

My 2.4 and 5 GHz bands share settings: mixed wpa3/wpa2, same SSID name and password, nothing special, 5GHz band is currently at channel 36.

My phones, tablets, desktops, and laptops along with the WiFi cameras use the higher band, no more than two of the former are in use at any one time.

No, the router is cool every time I check, no indication it’s overheating.

With the channel currently in use for 5GHz there are two to three other routers that show there, but lower power and so likely farther away. Less in the higher part of the band where my router gives up spectrum, it makes little sense unless it’s a bug, or it’s signal interference I can’t measure. But if it’s signal interference then it likely wouldn’t take ten days for it to have this effect…

Message 22 of 51
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you tried changing the channel to something else? 

Message 23 of 51
Tonkinite
Luminary

I think so, using anything in the UNII-2C spectrums drives some of my WiFi cameras nuts. I've changed it to 52 for now. Hopefully that will go better.

I had another occurrence of the lost security issue on the 2.4GHz radio after bouncing the router due to several settings changes. I've attached the router admin screenshot. Note that it is literally not set, not even to None, as if the Javascript can't match it up.

Message 24 of 51
FURRYe38
Guru

I wonder if disabling AX mode on 2.4Ghz and setting 40Mhz only on 2.4Ghz could help some...

Message 25 of 51
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 50 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7