× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Got new Virgin Hub, need help

Jamiemc24
Guide

New Virgin Media Hub 5 and AX1800 NG problems

Hey everyone I recieved the new virgin media hub 5 (I previously had the 3) it’s connected via Ethernet to my NG router upstairs but now my NG router seems to give no wireless signal? Everything hardwired into it is fine, any help on how to fix this? Thank you!
Message 1 of 28
Jamiemc24
Guide

Re: New Virgin Media Hub 5 and AX1800 NG problems

I have the same problem anyone able to fix it?

Message 2 of 28
Jamiemc24
Guide

Do I need to factory reset my ax1800 router?

Message 3 of 28

@Jamiemc24 wrote:
I have the same problem anyone able to fix it?

Same problem as what?

Message 4 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the model# of your NG router. AX1800 is a wifi speed value. 

FYi, Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem. https://kb.netgear.com/25891/DMZ-on-NETGEAR-routers
https://kb.netgear.com/24086/How-do-I-set-up-a-default-DMZ-server-on-my-Nighthawk-router
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the NG router to the modem, LAN to LAN configure AP mode on the NG router.
https://kb.netgear.com/20927/How-do-I-change-my-NETGEAR-router-to-AP-mode
Try option #2 first...

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Factory reset maybe needed. 

Message 5 of 28
Jamiemc24
Guide

Sorry, I recieved a new virgin hub 5 too and now my NG AX1800 router is giving no wireless signal.
Message 6 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the model# of your NG router. AX1800 is a wifi speed value. 

Message 7 of 28
Jamiemc24
Guide

Sorry my router is the Rax10 model.
Message 8 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Review and try the suggestions...

Message 9 of 28

@Jamiemc24 wrote:
Sorry, I recieved a new virgin hub 5 too and now my NG AX1800 router is giving no wireless signal.

You could try following the other conversation with the same issue:

Re: Got new Virgin Hub, need help - NETGEAR Communities

Try not to stomp all over the conversation started by @payas60 but join in the flow.

Message 10 of 28
Jamiemc24
Guide

Sorry guys, thank you for your help I’ll try these steps ❤️
Message 11 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes. 

Message 12 of 28

@Jamiemc24 wrote:
Sorry guys, thank you for your help I’ll try these steps ❤️

This could be useful too:

Broadband - Virgin Media Community

I doubt if you are the only Virgin customer wrestling with a Netgear router.

Or any router, come to that. They are mostly the same in how they work.

Then there is this:

Solved: Hub 5 and Modem mode - Virgin Media Community - 5436649

Message 13 of 28
Jamiemc24
Guide

Hey I put a post earlier in the virgin forums regarding the problem with virgin hub 5 and Netgear router and just got a reply stating virgin media have nothing to do with Netgear.
Message 14 of 28

@Jamiemc24 wrote:
Hey I put a post earlier in the virgin forums regarding the problem with virgin hub 5 and Netgear router and just got a reply stating virgin media have nothing to do with Netgear.

So what?

There are Virgin users who have connected Netgear routers to their network. I just checked.

Most of these forums have other users who are happy to help each other to sort out problems.

This place has nothing to do with Virgin, but we will happily help if we can.

Message 15 of 28
Jamiemc24
Guide

Thank you and I agree with you. I was hoping to get help on the virgin forums earlier but it was disheartening getting a reply saying we’ve nothing to do with Netgear.
Message 16 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Of course they would say that. They don't want to help or support anything beyond there equipment. They do know if bridge mode is supported or not on there equipment. You'll find mostly those responses from level 1 support agents. Level 2 or higher may help more but who knows. 

NG can say the same thing as well. 

So ya, give the suggestions a try. Should be able to get something going. 

Message 17 of 28
Jamiemc24
Guide

Thank you so much to everyone you are superb humans
Message 18 of 28

@Jamiemc24 wrote:
Thank you and I agree with you. I was hoping to get help on the virgin forums earlier but it was disheartening getting a reply saying we’ve nothing to do with Netgear.

I don't know what you asked for, and how you went about it. It it took me less than a  minute to find useful comments and advice on the new (?) Virgin superhub and Netgear routers.

The way to go about it is to ask clear questions with as much detail as possible and to avoid boilerplate text that as often has nothing to do with the question in hand.

Just look at this lot:

Search - Virgin Media Community – Netgear router

You can hardly describe that as a brush off.

Dozens of messages from fellow users.

Refine that to fit your problems.

Message 19 of 28
Jamiemc24
Guide

I’ve factory reset the router as I never done the initial set up it was the guys who originally done the cabling for me and I didn’t know the answers to the security questions - I’ve done the set up wizard and named my network upstairs but the way it used to be setup on the old Virgin Media Hub it used to transition from the downstairs router to the upstairs router depending on where in the house you are. The way I’ve set it up now is the router upstairs seems to be a totally different name to the downstairs router if that makes sense. Is there anyway to set them up so you can transition between both depending on how strong the signal is? Thank you.
Message 20 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Not really recommended but if you give same SSID name and PW between both systems, however set channels on each unit to far apart channels on 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, might work ok. 

Message 21 of 28
Jamiemc24
Guide

I’d essentially want the NG router to act as a wireless access point, I’m sure that’s the way the guys had it set up on the old hub - is it able to do that?
Message 22 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 23 of 28
Jamiemc24
Guide

Thank you! And in this mode anything hardwired into the NG upstairs router will act as wired connection? Ie games console and pc?
Message 24 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Between the RAX and the host router yes. 

Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series