× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Night Hawk AX8 web interface attached devices edit issues.

BBAZ
Guide

Night Hawk AX8 web interface attached devices edit issues.

When editing my devices under "Attached Devices" tab, I renamed some of my connected devices and changed the icon so I knew what was connected. The next day when I turned on my computer and accessed RAX80 interface, most of my devices have reverted back to their default name and icon.  This makes it tough to determine what is connected because we have 3 different Alexas in the house, some smart plugs and two Fire tv's.  How do you fix this?  When I re-edit these items, they just revert to their default.  The only items that have kept their new names/icons are my hardwired desktop, wifi printer, Android cell phone and Android tablet.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

I'd love to give you a way to fix it. Problem is I've found that the RAX and the orbi devices connected devices page both have had issues with this. It works in some firmwares and not in others. Its a fairly large frustration. I have noticed that the issues tends to be more prominent if you have >30 devices connected. 

Message 2 of 9
xjn
Apprentice
Apprentice

It has been broken all year for me on every firmware... I just gave up 

Message 3 of 9
GabboCH
Apprentice

i found out the hard way it is not working properly after spending quite a bit of time scanning the network to determine the IP addresses of everything & edting teh details only the realise after an hour, everything was still showing "Unknown" after a reboots.

I also found that using the Nighthawk App and Web Interface to label devices is not compatible so changing something in one would then cause the other loose all information about it.

Message 4 of 9
BBAZ
Guide

Yeah, this seems to be one of the many issues with this product.  I bought it to replace a old Linksys router which could not handle a recent bandwidth bump I made with my ISP.  I looked at the reviews on Amazon and while there were some bad, most were very good.  I have no idea how that could be after the sketchy performance issues I have experienced.  After spending hours on the phone with Netgear, they finally decided to replace my router with a new one which is no better.  I would return mine to Amazon but the 30 day window has passed.  This is unacceptable for a $300 dollar piece of hardware.  I'm looking around now for a replacement.  It won't be Netgear 🙂

Message 5 of 9
xjn
Apprentice
Apprentice

I think all of the good reviews are from people that just use default settings. Anything more than that seems to not work well... basic router features are broken for most of the year on a $300 device. I will not be purchasing any Netgear equipment until this is one has basic features fixed.

Message 6 of 9
GabboCH
Apprentice

The only setting I wanted to change was the SSID and the router still doesn't work properly.

My guess is the good reviews are from people running the older firmware & who haven't bothered to update it.
Message 7 of 9
LBT
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just got my Nighthawk router and love the upgrade in speed from my old one.
BUT - I have the same issues as you - there is no way to get it to retain the label & icon edits I make. SO - I guess I’m stuck guessing or spending a lot of time turning devices on & off and looking up I.P. addresses to figure out the id’s of my 20+ online devices. It appears this is a systemic weakness with Netgear (based on the overwhelming number of cases shared in this community) so - I’m glad I didn’t waste any more time trying to fix a basic, unfixable design flaw. CAN’T understand WHY Netflix can’t get this solved with firmware updates!
Model: AC2400|Nighthawk AC2400 Smart WiFi Router
Message 8 of 9
PDWhite
Apprentice

Attached Devices does have an edit capability. Some of the settings would appear to affect how the router will deal with it handles data flowing to and from that device. One of these is Priority, obviously a no-brainer. Some types of devices need a lot of attention, and some not so much. That brings us to the device identification. On the RAX80, that is done by selecting the device type from a list. Doing that should tell the router what kind of data requirements that devices needs. Unfortunately, the default appears to be network devices only.

So, you can sit down like I did and edit each device's information and continue until each one has be correctly identified and defined. Which is all very nice, except the changes I so carefully made were gone a few hours later.

I started a tech support incident. The technician did not seem to understand what I was asking about.

Netgear devotes a significant amount of webpage space to describing how these advanced routers can accommodate this growing variety of network devices. In order to do so the router must first know what the attached device is. If the attached device editing functionality doesn't work, the router's potential to handle behavior and traffic to and from these devices vanishes. This is an important issue, because plainly, this functionality does not work.

Bottom line: If the device type capability really functional, it should be repaired. Or, if Netgear doesn't intend to support this (advertised) capability, it should be removed.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7