× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk AX6 6-Stream AX5200 Router Loses Wifi Configuration Settings

greenfrog5
Aspirant

Nighthawk AX6 6-Stream AX5200 Router Loses Wifi Configuration Settings

On two separate occasions, my router has had a problem where the internet crashes, and the router loses it's configuration settings. The first time a power outage triggered the issue. The second time I don't believe there was a power outage, but I just woke up to no internet.

Both times, I manually powered the router off, then on. This restored the wired connections, but the wifi did not come back. The first time, I think I was able to log in through a wired computer and re-enter the SSID and password, eventually restoring from a backup configuration. The second time, I was unable to log in via my wired computer (even though it had internet, it kept going to netgear troubleshooting pages telling me "not connected to wifi network"), and was forced to factory-reset the router and then restore from a backup.

I am just past the free support window 😞

I am hoping this is a setting or firmware issue, though I believe this should have alonger warranty (than free service period). Any advice, or things to try would be appreciated.

Thanks

Message 1 of 5

You don't say what router you own. AX5200 is not a reliable guide to model number. Many devices come with an AX tag, but it is essentially a label that Netgear, and other brands, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds. RAX48?

@greenfrog5 wrote:

The second time I don't believe there was a power outage, but I just woke up to no internet.

Did the LEDs on the thing offer any clues?

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

@greenfrog5 wrote:

The second time, I was unable to log in via my wired computer (even though it had internet, it kept going to netgear troubleshooting pages telling me "not connected to wifi network"), and was forced to factory-reset the router and then restore from a backup.

That can be a symptom of a clash between router and modem. Henvce the question.

Message 2 of 5
greenfrog5
Aspirant

Thank you for the reponse, and sorry for the delayed response (life...). Anyway,

Yes, it is an RAX48. I have what I believe is the current firmware (I check for update every time there is a probelm): V1.0.2.82_2.0.50. Each time the problem occurred, I checked the lights and don't recall anything useful. I think they generally were all green (i.e. suggesting everything should work), but the wifi did not work.

I have the router connected to a Sonic fiberoptic Optical Network Terminal (ONT) version Adtran 411. I don't believe this is a "modem" but serves the same purpose. It is not a router (has only one ethernet jack). I have not had any problems with our service - ever (over several years). I have never had to reboot this device, and the service seems to be active and waiting behind the router at all times.

Recently, my wife had to reset the router again (by herself) due to non-working wifi. I believe she turned it off/on, and was able to restore wifi, suggesting this incident did not cause the setting-reset issue that I have experienced.

Thanks for the help, hopeing to get to the bottom of this!

Message 3 of 5

@greenfrog5 wrote:

Yes, it is an RAX48. I have what I believe is the current firmware (I check for update every time there is a probelm)

Not a reliable indicator. And V1.0.2.82_2.0.50 is not the latest firmware.

RAX48 Firmware Version 1.0.2.94 - Hot Fix | Answer | NETGEAR Support

It can take time for a Hotfix to land.

No guarantee that it will mend anything, but it is the first thing that anyone will suggest when troubleshooting.

@greenfrog5 wrote:

I have the router connected to a Sonic fiberoptic Optical Network Terminal (ONT) version Adtran 411. I don't believe this is a "modem" but serves the same purpose. It is not a router (has only one ethernet jack).

Rules out some of the usual suspects when people hit problems.

@greenfrog5 wrote:

Each time the problem occurred, I checked the lights and don't recall anything useful. I think they generally were all green (i.e. suggesting everything should work), but the wifi did not work.

Next time it happens, take a closer look.

Pinning down wifi problems isn't easy if you don't check the LEDs. That's what they are for.

@greenfrog5 wrote:

Recently, my wife had to reset the router again (by herself) due to non-working wifi. I believe she turned it off/on, and was able to restore wifi, suggesting this incident did not cause the setting-reset issue that I have experienced.

You don't say how your wife "turned it off/on".

There is a switch on the top of the router that doubles as an indicator and a switch. Too many people don't notice this and don't realise that somehow the wifi switch got pressed.  (Cats and children have been known to do this.) Again, looking at the LEDs helps.

Your first message said:

...I believe this should have alonger warranty (than free service period).

The warranty is longer than the free support period. Depending in where you are, warranties are at least a year, longer in countries that have better consumer protection than the USA. Support is a piddling 90 days.

Message 4 of 5
greenfrog5
Aspirant

The Nighthawk software says "no new firmware is available at this time." Will the hotfix eventually be pushed to the normal firmware update? Note that my firmware was current when the issue occurred, and the hotfix is only 1 week old.

My wife thinks she used the button on the back to power it off, then on. The buttons on top would not reset the router, would they? I will check the lights more carefully next time the issue occurs.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7