× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk AX8 - RAX80-100NAS - IP lease time can't be set?

t-hayes
Aspirant

Nighthawk AX8 - RAX80-100NAS - IP lease time can't be set?

Since putting in the new router I've had several problems with connections being dropped for a few seconds and couldn't understand why.  It wasn't all at once and wasn't occurring that frequently.   My NAS which I have a nat passthrough for all the sudden failed, and when I looked the ip had changed.  My previous router would almost never change an ip address for a device, so I never had to hard set the ip. So I change the ip in the routing and the next day the ip had changed again, even though the machine had not rebooted or been off for any reason. I have since told the router not change it's ip, but for other devices this is becomming a noticable occurance. 

I went looking to change the lease time, but there is no setting.  Also, why would you change the ip of a currently connected device that is using the internet?  Do I have to fix all my devices to not have their ip change?  I'm no where close to the 253 devices it can dish out for ip4, not even hitting 30, so I don't get why the ip has to change every day?  Since I've been using routers I've yet to have one, netgear or otherwise force an ip change daily. 

So am I missing something or is there some secret way to have the router not do this?  for what I paid I expect less trouble from it than more.

Message 1 of 9

Have you tried setting the IP address on the NAS device and reserving that address in the router?

There is support for the RAX80, including a manual, at the end of this link:

>>>RAX80 | Product | Support | NETGEAR<<<

See the section Manage Reserved LAN IP Addresses.

Message 2 of 9
t-hayes
Aspirant

Yes, and while I keep the same ip, last night while playing a game I got kicked off while my interenet reset.  So it appears even if I keep the same ip, it is forcing the network adapter to reset. 

Message 3 of 9

There are regular discussions about this issue. For example:

R7900 how to get into and change the lease time - NETGEAR Communities

It may be more an ISP thing.

If you haven't tried already, start here:

Search - NETGEAR Communities – lease time

Message 4 of 9
t-hayes
Aspirant

This is all internal, my isp is not changing my ip that often, and I have more than one computer and they do not drop at the same time.

My problem is that I've never had this issue with any router since...2001 or so or earlier.  So while I'm not sure what the reasoning behind it is, it's not what I would call a feature, but a bug.  In the link you posted they said it was fixed so it didn't drop the connection, but mine is, and I'm on the latest firmware.

if it happened once a month I wouldn't much care, but it's way to frequent.

Message 5 of 9
myersw
Master

I hard coded the IP address in my 2 NAS so as to not fight any of these problems. Be sure to pick an IP outside of the DHCP address scope. Never have had a failure since.

Message 6 of 9
t-hayes
Aspirant

I decided to just send it back and buy something else.  For $400 I can't see having disconect issues all the time and the number of other little weird internet issues that have been more and more numerous.  For that kind money I expect things to work. 

Message 7 of 9
myersw
Master

Things will probably work better if the replacement router does not have the name Netgear on it. 

Message 8 of 9
Offy
Aspirant

Did you try using the DHCP reservation feature in the router?

Advanced >> Setup >> LAN Setup

Scroll to the bottom and add an IP reservation for the MAC address of the device.

I do not understand why someone would attempt to direct you to telnet into your device when the setting is readily available in the GUI.

Model: RAX80| AX6000 - Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7