× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk Ax80 got hacked?

Fanale12
Follower

Nighthawk Ax80 got hacked?

Recently, I realized the internet got extremely slow, so I checked and show devices I don’t recognize on my network through the mobile app.

I Tried locking those devices, still seem very slow. So I decided to Change my password. then speed got SO much faster.

Then a few hours later those devices came back on again. I checked all my network devices and realize those login doesn’t seem like to be any device at my home. So I am thinking someone has hacked my network. I change password, no one suppose to have it, I didn’t connect any home devices, this person would manage to connect to my WiFi.

I have the AX80 with new firmware update.
I don’t recall the admin passwords but I had it setup on my phone. So I can still login from my phone. What should I do? I have tried using more complicated passwords too. Doesn’t seem to help.
Using WPA2 as well.
Model: AC2100|Nighthawk AC2100 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Fanale12, 

I would recommend getting in contact with our support team using the link below. You may also try factory resetting your router and going through the setup assistant again. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/default.aspx

Christian 

Message 2 of 4
additude
Virtuoso

Devices connected WiFi or Cable?

Don't just change your admin login password but equally as well change your SSID passwords for 5 and 2.4

Disable "Guest" logins...

Disable "Remote Login".....

Message 3 of 4
Topology
Virtuoso

Fanale12, you may wish to enable Access Control in the router, to allow only known devices to connect to your network – and, enable the access rule “Block all new devices from connecting.” While MAC authentication isn’t perfect, it should assist in preventing unknown/unauthorized devices from using the network.

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem, RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7