× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk RAX 50 VPN settings

Steven1256
Aspirant

Nighthawk RAX 50 VPN settings

I'm interested in putting a VPN on my router for protection. I found the place to set it on the router but can't find any tutorials or info. Also, is this the same as the VPN's being advertised like Nordvpn or expressvpn.  Could someone point me there or assist. Thank you??

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
Kitsap
Master

Re: Nighthawk RAX 50 VPN settings

@Steven1256 wrote:

I'm interested in putting a VPN on my router for protection. I found the place to set it on the router but can't find any tutorials or info. Also, is this the same as the VPN's being advertised like Nordvpn or expressvpn.  Could someone point me there or assist. Thank you??

The Open VPN option you can enable on your router enables an Open VPN server that can be configured and used to connect back to your LAN from the outside (internet).  For instance, for access to your LAN from away from home to see security cameras, file servers, etc.

Services like NordVPN or ExpressVPN offer outside servers that you can connect to via an encrypted internet connection to hide your IP address and thus your identity.  Some of these outside services offer firmware that can be flashed on Netgear router models.  Each is different and you would have to look for a list of supported router models on the web site of each individual service.  Please note, installing third party firmware on a Netgear router will void the warranty.  Read the description and the configuration process for each service very carefully.  Each is different.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
Kitsap
Master

Re: Nighthawk RAX 50 VPN settings

@Steven1256 wrote:

The Open VPN option you can enable on your router enables an Open VPN server that can be configured and used to connect back to your LAN from the outside (internet).  For instance, for access to your LAN from away from home to see security cameras, file servers, etc.

Services like NordVPN or ExpressVPN offer outside servers that you can connect to via an encrypted internet connection to hide your IP address and thus your identity.  Some of these outside services offer firmware that can be flashed on Netgear router models.  Each is different and you would have to look for a list of supported router models on the web site of each individual service.  Please note, installing third party firmware on a Netgear router will void the warranty.  Read the description and the configuration process for each service very carefully.  Each is different.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7