× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk RAX29 Router Constantly Dropping WIFI

ultravista
Aspirant

Nighthawk RAX29 Router Constantly Dropping WIFI

My Nighthawk RAX29 constantly drops WIFI for some but not all devices. It may stop working for my laptop for example while the XBOX, Vonage, and Google Home and other devices still have internet.

On the laptop, the device is connected with 'no internet'. Disconnecting & reconnecting has no impact. Only reboot of the router works. Another laptop or computer is still connected and WIFI is fine. It is random and device independent.

When logging into the router from the affected device, all of the settings are active and the internet signal from the provider is strong. Only rebooting the router brings back WIFI to the device.

The previous firmware was V1.0.6.74_1 and I upgraded to V1.0.7.78_1 with zero change in WIFI dropping.

I have an older 2.4 GHZ Netgear router that never drops connection.

RAX29 is not a selectable product. Not sure why ...

Any suggestions?

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

what modem/gateway are you connected to? 

Have you noticed if it tends to be 2.4ghz or 5ghz that the issue happens with? 

Do wired devices drop?

Message 2 of 6
ultravista
Aspirant

I've been reading through the forums and it appears my problem is not specific to the device but affecting a lot of other users with varied model numbers. Same exact problem, WIFI drops for some (but not all) devices and wire connections remain unaffected - rebooting the router solves for short period. Rinse and repeat.

Search "WIFI drop" in this forum and you'll see that the problem affects many users independent of the model #.

I am not sure how the devices are connecting 2.4 or 5 ghz. The router is still broadcasting and it shows "connected, no internet". 

The RAX29 is connected to a Netgear modem and also an older Motorola surfboard modem. Regardless of which modem, WIFI drops while wired connections are unaffected.

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

Yes you will see "wifi drop" as an issue in the forums. Its a support forum where people come with issues. So you find issues here. That applies to any consumer networking forum. Search any of them for "wifi drops" and you'll find a bunch of posts. Its like going to a hospital and searching for sick people. Thats what you'll find. And then you'll think "well, everyone is sick". But its because of where you're at. 

Did you try just a factory reset? 

And what models are these modems? 

Message 4 of 6
ultravista
Aspirant

I have not done a factory reset yet but did disable the AX setting and changed the 2.4 and 5 gHz settings from AUTO to a specific channel.

When looking at the router logs, I noticed an Apple TV that was continually failing to log in. The router considered it a Denial of Service attack. I also unplugged the Apple TV to stop it from attempting to login. 

The router has been behaving since making the changes and powering down the Apple TV.

Is it possible the DOS perceived from the router was causing it to sever some WIFI connections? I could not find the lease time of DHCP. If a short time, say 24 hours, perhaps the router would no longer allow additional connections due to the perceived threat? Is this plausible?

Message 5 of 6

@ultravista wrote:

Is it possible the DOS perceived from the router was causing it to sever some WIFI connections? I could not find the lease time of DHCP. If a short time, say 24 hours, perhaps the router would no longer allow additional connections due to the perceived threat? Is this plausible?

Maybe the router got bogged down in recording those Denial of Service attacks.

At least, that is one theory.

You could test it by telling your router not to log those events. (That doesn't reduce your protection.) If the wifi issue goes away that would explain it.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7