× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk RAX29 Router Constantly Dropping WIFI

j1inha
Follower

Nighthawk RAX29 Router Constantly Dropping WIFI

My Nighthawk RAX29 constantly drops WIFI for some but not all devices. It may stop working for my laptop for example while the XBOX, Vonage, and Google Home and other devices still have internet.

On the laptop, the device is connected with 'no internet'. Disconnecting & reconnecting has no impact. Only reboot of the router works. Another laptop or computer is still connected and WIFI is fine. It is random and device independent.

When logging into the router from the affected device, all of the settings are active and the internet signal from the provider is strong. Only rebooting the router brings back WIFI to the device.

The previous firmware was V1.0.6.74_1 and I upgraded to V1.0.7.78_1 with zero change in WIFI dropping.

I have an older 2.4 GHZ Netgear router that never drops connection.

Searching the official Netgear forums for "WIFI drop" - the problem affects a lot of users with higher and lower-end routers of the same variety; therefore, this is not a problem with the RAX29, but a large-scale Netgear problem.

The wired connections are unaffected - they continue to have internet. Only random WIFI connections drop.

Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk RAX29 Router Constantly Dropping WIFI

What modem/gateway is the router connected to?

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7