× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk RAX42 DNS not same for 2.4 and 5ghz

kprice61
Aspirant

Nighthawk RAX42 DNS not same for 2.4 and 5ghz

I cant figure out for the life of me why my 2.4 wireless connection is handing out googles DNS 4.4.4.4 and 8.8.8.8 instead of the routers DNS.  My adapters are set to automatic (DHCP) theres no manual DNS set in the devices. I have the nighthawk set to openDNS servers which only works (assigns the router as DNS) if you connect to 5g.  no where can i find that I have googles DNS servers or separate options for DNS by broadcast. yet when i connect to the 2.4 broadcast, thats exactly what I get, it will not Assign the router as DNS.

It works fine if connected via ethernet as well.

kprice61_0-1665838439483.pngkprice61_1-1665838511292.png

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
kprice61
Aspirant

It is double NAT. Changing it didn’t fix dns though. There’s no VPNs installed. In the end I just discovered my ISP finally implemented parental management features through an app recently so I ditched the nighthawk since that’s the only thing I used it for and it cost money for the parental controls. Thank you all for your help

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What modem/gateway is the router connected to? 

Your ip address is 10.0.0.1 which isn't the default. It switches to that if it detects its in a double nat. 

So it could be that you're in a double nat. 

A double nat happens when you cascade more than 1 router.
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Fixes? There’s 3 options but only use 1.
1. Put the modem/gateway in modem only/pass through mode. This disables its routing functions.
2. Leave the modem/gateway in router mode but put the Netgears IP address into its DMZ. This forwards the data to the netgear. You can either leave the modem/gateway’s wireless enabled or disabled. Just make sure its using a different wifi channel to prevent interference
3. Put the Netgear into access point mode. This disables its routing functions. Wifi/ethernet still works but it does disable some features.
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

Message 2 of 4
Razor512
Prodigy

Are you running any VPN software such as PIA? If so, check if you have a VPN override enabled as many allow a VPN server to be forced even if using a split tunnel.

Message 3 of 4
kprice61
Aspirant

It is double NAT. Changing it didn’t fix dns though. There’s no VPNs installed. In the end I just discovered my ISP finally implemented parental management features through an app recently so I ditched the nighthawk since that’s the only thing I used it for and it cost money for the parental controls. Thank you all for your help
Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7