× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk RAX80 Continually Drops Internet Signal

JordanG05
Tutor

Nighthawk RAX80 Continually Drops Internet Signal

My Nighthawk WiFi Router continually drops any kind of internet signal (both Ethernet and WiFi) periodically. At least a few times a day. Not sure what the heck is going on. I’ve updated firmware. Factory reset. Turned it on and off again. I’ve just kind of run out of ideas to try to fix this.

My cable modem is the Surfboard DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem (Model #SB6190).

This is starting to get really frustrating. And my gf made the comment the other day that the internet worked better when we had the modem given to us by Comcast/Xfinity.... talk about a punch to the gut especially after how much I talked this combo up.

Anyone have the same issue or know of a fix that I am missing?

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk RAX80 Continually Drops Internet Signal

If you directly connect a pc to the modem and run it for a day or 2 (however long the router would take to drop) does it stay stable? 
Its important to make sure its not a modem issue before moving on to the router. 

Message 2 of 5
JordanG05
Tutor

I have my PS4, AppleTV and my TV all connected to the router via Ethernet. When it drops, which is maybe once or twice a day, it’s everything. Stuff that is connected by Ethernet and the WiFi.
Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

Fully understood that everythings connected to the router. 

But the router is connected to something else (modem/gateway). 

When you're having both wired and wireless devices dropping, its worth checking out the gateway first to ensure it has a good/stable signal and isn't causing the drops. 

Message 4 of 5
JordanG05
Tutor

Yep, sorry, I should have clarified. I have cable coming in to my modem and then my router is connected to my modem.

My cable modem is the Surfboard DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem (Model #SB6190).
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7