× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk Rax120 AX6000 plex port forwarding

pgjscottieuk
Guide

Nighthawk Rax120 AX6000 plex port forwarding

After installing this router both ny netgear NAS 516 and 316 can no longer send alert messages

or update antivirus i configured this router with the same port forwarding as the old BT homehub 6 but it doesnt send out the email messages the plex server on my 516 also is no longer available even after applying 32400 as a custom TCP please help anyone i have spent 3 hours on the phone to netgear to no avail

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12
schumaku
Guru

Re: Nighthawk Rax120 AX6000 plex port forwarding

Reads more like a different issue, unrelated to port forwarding. Have posted how to test the email notifications on ReadyNAS -> https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-ReadyNAS-Users-General/RN104-OS695-unable-to-send-alert-message...

Message 2 of 12
pgjscottieuk
Guide

NAS messaging was all working fine before installing new RAX120 router swapped back old BT home hub all works problem is a setting in the router it is blocking outgoing from the NAS was also blocking Plex server on the NAS remote access
Message 3 of 12
microchip8
Master

is your NAT type set to "secure" or "open"?

Message 4 of 12
pgjscottieuk
Guide

I did look at that but when googled it said Open took down all your security leaving everything else computers etc vunerable so didnt try it is that the problem if its secure 

Message 5 of 12
microchip8
Master

That's not true. Secured NAT only modifies a few things and will not expose your computers to the wild Internet. Secured NAT can interfere with things, though. Secured NAT is a "NETGEAR only" thing that advertises to "protect" you more at the expense of blocking too much, like blocking fully ICMPv6 in case of IPv6 (as an example). Same thing for IPv4

Try setting it to open and see if your problem goes away. If it doesn't, we'll look at other things. I have mine set to open since I bought my R7800 (more than a year ago) and have yet to encounter any wrongdoing from the Internet. It interferes with a few services I run, though, when set to secured

Message 6 of 12
pgjscottieuk
Guide

Thank you for your support will reconnect the Nighthawk and set NAT to open and report back many thanks again

Message 7 of 12
pgjscottieuk
Guide

It was on secured have changed to open will go through the NAS devices and the plex outward connection tomorrow

Message 8 of 12
pgjscottieuk
Guide

Changed to open still no remote plex and NAS devices still unable to send alert emails or update antivirus which it does on a daily basis

Message 9 of 12
pgjscottieuk
Guide

Readynas not sending alerts problem resolved after changing from BT Smart hub to RAX120 had not realised that needed to go itnto Network Settings on Readynas and change the IP address from the old router 192.168.1.254 and the DNS setting beneath to the AXR120 IP of 192.168.1.1

Message 10 of 12
schumaku
Guru

Better approach than a static IP config would be using a DHCP client on the ReadyNAS, and create a MAC<->IPv4 reservation so the NAS would get the same address reliably. Funky details like default gateway, DNS servers, would propagate automatically.

The test I've suggested above would have unveiled this issue (DNS, default gateway, ...) in a few seconds.

Message 11 of 12
pgjscottieuk
Guide

Hi thank you for your input it would be good if you could give detailed information on how to do that it will benefit myself and others who come looking for the same answer

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7