× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk Wifi 6 router isnt recognized by my ten-year old HP laptop

LadyGeek2
Follower

Nighthawk Wifi 6 router isnt recognized by my ten-year old HP laptop

Set up my Netgear Nighthawk WiFi 6 router a while back. My phone, tablet, smart TV all connected almost immediately to the network -- My HP laptop did not. It's 10 years old, so I don't know if age of a device has something to do with compatibility and connectivity. I'm not super tech-savvy, so I'm asking for any help or feedback.
Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Ensure the wifi drivers on the laptop are updated as best as possible. Being that old, may not be anything to update. 

Try disabling AX mode on the router and see. 

Besure toset WPA-TPIK and WPA2/AES mixed mode on the router and see. 

Maybe time to install a updated USB wifi adapter on the laptop as a wifi upgrade solution. 

Message 2 of 3
plemans
Guru

You reposted in the proper forum but still didn't put what wireless card was in the laptop. 

1. what wifi card is in the laptop? That's kind of key. Some of the older cards struggle with AX. It was fixed by some card makers updating drivers but not all did it. So check what actual card is in the laptop and go directly to that manufacturer's website to get the driver. Don't use dell, sony, etc. go directly to whoever makes the card. 

2. You can replace the wifi card if thats the issue. some are replaceable and you can upgrade to a newer card. 

3. You can disable AX on the router. Under the wifi settings you can disable AX. If you don't have any ax devices, its not a big deal. If you do, then its not optimal and you can look at options 1 & 2

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7