× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk ax12 rax 120 keeps disconnecting from internet after updating. any help?

Th3-0n3
Tutor

Nighthawk ax12 rax 120 keeps disconnecting from internet after updating. any help?

Hello every one I have this problem with my Nighthawk ax12 rax 120. out of nowhere it updated by it self even those I had desible updates. Now version of the router is v1.2.0.16. I remember that before the update I didnt have this problems as often are they are happing now. I would need to do a reboot once every two months if any. Now this is happening on a daily basis. 

Every 2 days or less it starts by kicking all devices that are connected to 5ghz off. because of an authentication error. The speed gets low after that on what ever is connected with 2.4ghz band. I have to reboot the router to get it working again. 

Some times the wifi just stops working out of nowhere all connected devices say they are connected to wifi but not internet all. like if the router would reboot. then there is a chance that the wifi starts working again. If it doesnt I have to reboot the router to get it working. 

Any way to fixing this ?  Im thinking of rolling back but when I do it keeps asking me set it up with the up and it keeps forcing an update again. 

What can I do?

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Nighthawk ax12 rax 120 keeps disconnecting from internet after updating. any help?

Hello,

You may factory reset your router and run through the setup assistance again. You may also revert to the previous firmware version manually. 

Christian 

Message 2 of 7
AutomoIT-CTO
Aspirant

Surely there is a better answer than "Restore to Factory and Run Setup Again".  A simple google search shows that this exact issue has plagued Netgear routers for years.  I'd think it'd be resolved by now.

Is there a box that we're missing or a config tweak that'll resolve this?  I'm now working on the 2nd unit from Amazon with the same issue.

The latest firmware is installed, pretty generic setup.  Nothing special configured yet, knowing I might have to wipe it/start over...

Any help will be greatly appreciated! 

Router: RAX120
Firmware: V1.2.0.16

ISP: Comcast Gig

Message 3 of 7
Tofu-Golem
Apprentice

Is it possible your router has the wrong time, or a different time from your mobile devices?

Message 4 of 7
AutomoIT-CTO
Aspirant

Time was correct but Time Zone was set for Arizona and not Mountain.
I've corrected this but can't imagine it'll make much difference since the actual time was correct.

Message 5 of 7
Th3-0n3
Tutor

Hello I'm having this problem more often with the latest firmware. I have been having this issue since the router release. But now it happens more then 3 times a week and some days 2 or 3 times a day where I have to reboot the router to get the 5 ghz band to work again, and get faster speed on the 2.4 ghz . I had an old firmware where this problem would occur at least 1 a month but the router updated automatically even thoe I had it set to not auto update. At this point I haven gave up on the router and for now the brand. I'm looking for a better router from another company because this issue doesnt get solve.
Message 6 of 7
Th3-0n3
Tutor

How do I check the time on the router?

But I think it has the correct time.

Where in the settings can i check this
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7