× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk rax70- add mesh

jayceross
Aspirant

Nighthawk rax70- add mesh

I have a RAX70 router-  and wondering if adding an EAX80 or EAX20- would make it a "mesh" network-  

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk rax70- add mesh

The EAX is only dual band supporting while the RAX is tri-band supporting so would be more of a Extended WIFI system. MESH is a dedicated wired or wireless backhaul that's mostly seen on Orbi or Nighthawk MESH MK systems. 

Message 2 of 4
plemans
Guru

Yes you can add a mesh extender. 

it doesn't make it a full mesh system like orbi where there's a router controlling it. 

But the extender does use smart roaming functions so devices roam between it and the router as needed. 

Its a form of mesh. It works great if you just need the 1 extender. If you're needing more than 1, its better to go with the full system like orbi or MK nighthawk. 

Message 3 of 4

@jayceross wrote:

I have a RAX70 router-  and wondering if adding an EAX80 or EAX20- would make it a "mesh" network-  

According to the Netgear literature, the EAX80 is an "AX8/8-Stream AX6000 WiFi 6 Mesh Extender". The EAX20 is an "AX1800 4-Stream WiFi Mesh Extender".

So, the EAX80 and RAX70 are both AX8 WiFi 6 devices.

To me that says possibly "yes". But for informed feedback from someone who has used the kit you might do well to seek help in the section where people chew over extenders.

WiFi Range Extenders & Nighthawk Mesh - NETGEAR Communities

You might like to search there for messages related to your question.

In the meantime you could visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for the hardware.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear stopped supplying printed manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7