× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No internet with new modem rax200

hossmail
Guide

No internet with new modem rax200

So i upgraded my modem, contacted my ISP to activate, but my rax200 shows as No Internet Connected, even though all is connected and activated correctly.  What gives?

I contact netgear support.  They tell me because my router is out of warranty and that I am outside of the free 90 day support window, that I have to pay them to configure it to work with the new modem.  Huh?

Can someone confirm this?  I've changed out modems in the past, with various routers, and it's always been a seamless process.  Now I have to PAY netgear to allow it to work with a new modem.

Is it something I can do on my end?  I cannot find any articles going over this.  What am I missing?

Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
hossmail
Guide

Re: No internet with new modem rax200

Good news.  Got it working.  Thanks to all above posts on how to do it.  Here is a quick summary of the issue and what was done to resolve:

Issue: 
After activating new cable modem (Motorola MB8611) with ISP, my Netgear RAX200 router was not passing internet via wireless nor hardwire connection.

Resolution steps:
1- Power off RAX200 router
2- Activate modem with ISP (DO NOT CONNECT TO ROUTER YET)
3- Confirm modem internet connectivity via hardwire connection to pc
4- Power off modem
5- With both modem and router powered off, connect the internet output cable to the internet in-port on the router
6- Power on the modem ONLY
7- Wait about 5 mins
8- Power on router
9- Wait about 5 mins
-END   This process worked.

BONUS:
For me, i upgraded my speed plan with ISP.  The modem is for 2.5gbps, so I updated the router setting to activate it.  In the router settings interface, I went to Internet - Selected the middle option Multi-Gig Port (2.5/1gbps).  Apply   -  This initiated a router reboot. Then quickly connected the internet output cable to the 2.5ghz port on the opposite side of router, and after a few mins, all worked fine.  My internet speed increased as desired.

Thank you everyone for your help!!!

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 17

All Replies
Kitsap
Master

@hossmail wrote:

So i upgraded my modem, contacted my ISP to activate, but my rax200 shows as No Internet Connected, even though all is connected and activated correctly.  What gives?

I contact netgear support.  They tell me because my router is out of warranty and that I am outside of the free 90 day support window, that I have to pay them to configure it to work with the new modem.  Huh?

Can someone confirm this?  I've changed out modems in the past, with various routers, and it's always been a seamless process.  Now I have to PAY netgear to allow it to work with a new modem.

Is it something I can do on my end?  I cannot find any articles going over this.  What am I missing?

The RAX200 is strictly a router only.  It does not have a modem.  Will will need a modem to connect between your ISP and your new router.

How does your ISP deliver internet services?  Via coax cable or fiber optic cable?

Message 2 of 17
hossmail
Guide

Cable internet via Xfinity.  It's my own purchased modem.  It's replacing a previous modem I also owned, and have been using fine for 2 years with the rax200.  It's just now that I'm upgrading the modem, the rax200 will not allow for internet.  Netgear says I have to pick and pay for a service plan, and then they will "fix" the issue so that it will work with the modem.

Message 3 of 17
hossmail
Guide

Do you have to pay netgear to allow rax200 to work with a new modem?

I upgraded my cable modem that allows for more speed to work with my existing rax200.

My isp activated the modem and all seemed fine until realizing the rax200 will not allow for internet connectivity.  Assumed it was the modem with the issue, but all was fine on the isp side.

So I contacted netgear support, they told me that because my rax200 is no longer under service contract, that I would need to pay for a 1 or 2 year service plan in order for them to "fix" the issue and allow the rax200 to work with the new modem.

I've never had this issue in the past when upgrading modems.  The routers have always just worked.  Is this something new?  What am I missing?  Is there something I can do to configure the rax200 to work with the new modem?  I don't want to pay nearly $200 to have netgear "allow" the rax200 to work with a new modem.  That darn thing cost a lot of money for me 2 years ago.  Any help greatly appreciated.  

Message 4 of 17
Kitsap
Master

@hossmail wrote:

Cable internet via Xfinity.  It's my own purchased modem.  It's replacing a previous modem I also owned, and have been using fine for 2 years with the rax200.  It's just now that I'm upgrading the modem, the rax200 will not allow for internet.  Netgear says I have to pick and pay for a service plan, and then they will "fix" the issue so that it will work with the modem.

Hold off on the service plan purchase!  Most likely will not be necessary.

Need to know the specific brand name and model number of the new modem.  Details are important.

Have you activated the new modem through Xfinity?

Do you have a means to plug a computer direct into the output of the new modem via an Ethernet cable?  For test purposes only, no router in the data stream.

Message 5 of 17
Kitsap
Master

@hossmail wrote:

I upgraded my cable modem that allows for more speed to work with my existing rax200.

My isp activated the modem and all seemed fine until realizing the rax200 will not allow for internet connectivity.  Assumed it was the modem with the issue, but all was fine on the isp side.

So I contacted netgear support, they told me that because my rax200 is no longer under service contract, that I would need to pay for a 1 or 2 year service plan in order for them to "fix" the issue and allow the rax200 to work with the new modem.

I've never had this issue in the past when upgrading modems.  The routers have always just worked.  Is this something new?  What am I missing?  Is there something I can do to configure the rax200 to work with the new modem?  I don't want to pay nearly $200 to have netgear "allow" the rax200 to work with a new modem.  That darn thing cost a lot of money for me 2 years ago.  Any help greatly appreciated.  

Stick to one post and one thread.  Stay away from the service plan. 

Message 6 of 17
hossmail
Guide

The original post seemed unclear.  I couldn't edit it.  So i created a new one.

Yes, I don't want the service plan, but I don't know how to "allow" my rax200 to work with the new modem.

Message 7 of 17
hossmail
Guide

I activated the new modem, but because of the rax200 not working with it, I had xfinity turn the old modem back on.  That's how I'm currently accessing internet.

The new modem is a Motorola MB8611.  DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem.  2.5 gig ethernet port.

I can power on the new modem, and connect ethernet cord from it to PC if needed.

Message 8 of 17
hossmail
Guide

For reference, if anyone is interested, here is the original, active post:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/No-internet-with-new-modem-rax200/m-p/227975...

Message 9 of 17
Kitsap
Master

@hossmail wrote:

I activated the new modem, but because of the rax200 not working with it, I had xfinity turn the old modem back on.  That's how I'm currently accessing internet.

The new modem is a Motorola MB8611.  DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem.  2.5 gig ethernet port.

I can power on the new modem, and connect ethernet cord from it to PC if needed.

OK.  The general sequence is to activate your new modem.  Connect your PC direct to the output Ethernet port and confirm you have the throughput capacity you are paying for from Xfinity.  If your PC has a 1 Gbps Ethernet port, the most you will see incoming is around 940 Mbps.  Recommend you use the Ookla test application.  Also confirm the indicator LED's on the front of the modem are as expected and you can see the internet connection established.  With this configuration, you should be able to test connect to some of your routine web sites.

Once that is done, power down and pull the power cord for the modem.  Also power down your PC.   Disconnect the Ethernet cord from the modem and power the modem back up and give it plenty of time to boot and stabilize.  With your RAX 200 powered down (pull the power cord), connect the input Ethernet to the output Ethernet of your new modem.  Power up your RAX 200 and give it plenty of time to boot and stabilize.  The internet indicator LED should be one of the last items to illuminate.

If this sequence does not work, you may have to repeat it except you will have to do a firmware default reset on your RAX 200 prior and reconfigure from scratch.  It is a pain and I do not suggest it lightly.    Do you have a lot of custom configurations in your RAX 200?

Some of the internal connection details between your old modem and the RAX 200 are sticky and need to be re-established between your RAX 200 and your new modem.

Message 10 of 17
hossmail
Guide

Would i be able to backup my router settings, factory reset the router, and perform the instructions you indicated, and then if successful, restore the backup? 

I don't have a lot of custom settings, but tons of connected wifi devices.  I presume I would have to go to each one and reconnect.

(thank you for even acknowledging this post and offering an idea of remediation;  I'll give it a try in 2 days when I'm free for a few hours and can contact the ISP again)

I'm surprised there is no other documentation or post about this issue.

Message 11 of 17
Kitsap
Master

@hossmail wrote:

Would i be able to backup my router settings, factory reset the router, and perform the instructions you indicated, and then if successful, restore the backup? 

I don't have a lot of custom settings, but tons of connected wifi devices.  I presume I would have to go to each one and reconnect.

(thank you for even acknowledging this post and offering an idea of remediation;  I'll give it a try in 2 days when I'm free for a few hours and can contact the ISP again)

I'm surprised there is no other documentation or post about this issue.

Yes to backing up your settings.  You would only need to restore them if the firmware default reset is used.  Do not get impatient and proceed with that default reset too quickly.  It could take several minutes for the IP address from your ISP to be passed through the new modem to your router.  Especially if you just had your computer directly connected to your modem.

You should not have to do too much with your various connected Wi-Fi devices.  They have been previously connected to your RAX 200 and you should or will be using the same SSID and password.

Message 12 of 17
plemans
Guru

When you first install the Rax200, it natively looks for an internet connection on the 1gig port. Make sure the settings in the router has that set as default. Once you get the modem activated and connected to the router. Then you can switch it in the routers settings to the 2.5gig port and then actually switch the routers wan port over to the 2.5g physically. 

Message 13 of 17
pkaytes
Guide

Good advice!

I too have a RAX200 and recently replace my modem with a Motorola MB8611 on Xfinity/Comcast. You should not need to buy support from Netgear to make this work.

After the initial activation of the modem and verification that you have internet access by plugging in a pc or laptop directly into the modem, it is crucial to power down the modem, move the ethernet connection from the modem to the powered off RAX200 and allow sufficient time for the modem to power up/reboot before turning on the RAX200 router.

I have a cat6 cable between the modem and the router. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Message 14 of 17
hossmail
Guide

I will post tomorrow's results when I contact Xfinity again to try the new modem. Thank you community!

Message 15 of 17
hossmail
Guide

Good news.  Got it working.  Thanks to all above posts on how to do it.  Here is a quick summary of the issue and what was done to resolve:

Issue: 
After activating new cable modem (Motorola MB8611) with ISP, my Netgear RAX200 router was not passing internet via wireless nor hardwire connection.

Resolution steps:
1- Power off RAX200 router
2- Activate modem with ISP (DO NOT CONNECT TO ROUTER YET)
3- Confirm modem internet connectivity via hardwire connection to pc
4- Power off modem
5- With both modem and router powered off, connect the internet output cable to the internet in-port on the router
6- Power on the modem ONLY
7- Wait about 5 mins
8- Power on router
9- Wait about 5 mins
-END   This process worked.

BONUS:
For me, i upgraded my speed plan with ISP.  The modem is for 2.5gbps, so I updated the router setting to activate it.  In the router settings interface, I went to Internet - Selected the middle option Multi-Gig Port (2.5/1gbps).  Apply   -  This initiated a router reboot. Then quickly connected the internet output cable to the 2.5ghz port on the opposite side of router, and after a few mins, all worked fine.  My internet speed increased as desired.

Thank you everyone for your help!!!

Message 16 of 17
Kitsap
Master

Good!  Glad you got it working.

Message 17 of 17
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements