× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No trace of Wifi6 networks on Nighthawk RAXE500

Young6778
Aspirant

Re: No trace of Wifi6 networks on Nighthawk RAXE500

That's smart because I don't believe it works well either I see the same thing.
Message 51 of 111
Young6778
Aspirant

Wow I'm glad it worked for you.
Message 52 of 111
Young6778
Aspirant

That's why you use the app for testing speeds, not the airwaves.
Message 53 of 111
plemans
Guru

@Young6778 wrote:
That's why you use the app for testing speeds, not the airwaves.

I wouldn't recommend netgears built in speedtest function. Its not accurate at speeds over 500mbps.

Whenever someone is needing to test base speeds, I recommend hardwiring a pc/laptop into the router and testing speeds from several sites/servers to ensure you're getting accurate results. Some sites/servers can't saturate gigabit which is why I recommend trying several 

Message 54 of 111
Young6778
Aspirant

I would agree a wired pc is the best, however what evidence can corroborate your story? My GB speeds always come out very close using the app.
Message 55 of 111
plemans
Guru

evidence to cooroberate? 

Years of helping people on the forums? 

Over a decade of testing? 

My own speedtest findings using the app? 

You might just be fortunate that the server your app chooses is capable of maxing out gigabit. Not many are. 

Sadly the built in app has its own algorithms for how it chooses which server to test and doesn't let you change servers. Its why I don't recommend it for higher speed plans. 

Message 56 of 111
tonydi
Luminary

@plemansis right, the built in speedtest is junk.  Just ran it and it gave me 840/821.  Waited a minute and ran it again.  It showed 88/93.

If you have a Windows computer, use the Ookla Speedtest app from the Microsoft Store.  It is far more consistent and doesn't have overhead issues like using speedtest.com does on browsers.  I get really consistent numbers using this app.

speedtest.png

Message 57 of 111
Young6778
Aspirant

I got it! You shouldn't take offense to a simple question. I could have thrown out my credentials, like I've developed networks for large corporations since 1989 and was certified in many out networking capabilities but I don't play like that. I'm sure your right about the app, Netgears app
Sucks and they are slow to react. I did say hardwired is the first choice.
Message 58 of 111
Young6778
Aspirant

Good to know! What if I don't have a laptop? Can I use a wireless device and a browser and get those same results?
Message 59 of 111
tonydi
Luminary

Not really.  A wireless device is subject to all of the foibles of wifi connections so it's not consistent.  Plus, very few wifi devices can match max wired speeds on gig connections so they'll generally be slower.

But, if that's all you have then at least get the Ookla app from Google Play or Apple App Store.  No need to add all the baggage a browser brings to the party.

Message 60 of 111
Young6778
Aspirant

Thank you.
Message 61 of 111
HarrySmooth
Tutor

Here's what I'm getting now.......since switching on the Smart Connect!09DDCD94-2AF5-4C84-8BDA-874FDCF8717A.png

Message 62 of 111
tonydi
Luminary

Oh good, I can't see your picture either.  I noticed this earlier on the forum where pics I posted didn't appear.  It caused me to make a second post but with the same result.  Eventually the picture shows up so either the forum software needs a moderator to approve pictures or there's some sort of built-in delay.

Lame, either way.

Message 63 of 111
plemans
Guru

Photos have to be approved by a moderator
Message 64 of 111
HarrySmooth
Tutor

Well CRAP! Everything WAS working fine, after I enabled the "Smart Connect"..... getting good speeds and everything, NOW, the network keeps Dropping! 
about every 15-20mins I'll be watching TV and it just drops signal, checking my phone, my network is GONE! Reboot the router and back in business! 
what NOW? LOL...... I've been using Netgear forever, and never had any problems with any of my Netgear routers until now… I'm telling you this 11,000 is jinxed

Message 65 of 111
HarrySmooth
Tutor

Been timing my loss, the router is dropping the internet signal every 11 mins, almost to the minute! ???? Now wth is going on! Oops, just dropped off again after only 5 mins.....now I'm REALLY Confused? 
Any ideas?

Message 66 of 111
Altsai
NETGEAR Expert

which FW verison do you use now?

can you contact support team to provide smartconnect enabled debugging log for further checking?

for short term, disable smartconnect first for better wifi experience.

Message 67 of 111
Young6778
Aspirant

Make sure your firmware is updated, cables are good, which I'm sure you did that.
There are many possible reasons so I’ll focus a common one: confused network auto-speed detection/smart connet. The most common auto-detect confusion happens when the devices at both ends of a network connection are trying to auto-detect at the same time. The detection mechanisms can actually conflict with each other and cause one side to get it wrong. It’s not as common but the detection algorithm can also be affected by the actual data going across, or electrical noise interference.
It’s typically easy to turn off auto-speed detection/smart connet so that theory can be confirmed or denied.
Message 68 of 111
HarrySmooth
Tutor

Yep, firmware updated, AX enabled, OFDMA Enabled, Smart Connect Disabled now.......seems to be holding connection.....I got a text from Spectrum a few mins after my last post saying they were having intermittent outages in my area! Of COURSE they do s soon as I start messing with my router LOL......

Message 69 of 111
HarrySmooth
Tutor

FW Version V1.0.8.70_2.0.36

Message 70 of 111
HarrySmooth
Tutor

Sorry, FW Version: V1.0.8.70_2.0.36

Message 71 of 111
Young6778
Aspirant

Great! Yep good old spectrum! I have their service as well.
Message 72 of 111
HarrySmooth
Tutor

Welp, everything ran fine for a little while, now my TV is "Buffering".... sometimes losing signal all together! I disabled the "Smart Connect" so I can SEE my 5ghz Band, but it keeps dropping out? And in 2.4ghz, my TV s buffering! What NOW? I'm just about ready to toss this POS 11000 out the Window! 

Message 73 of 111
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

We have a test firmware you can try out here is a link to the thread https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/RAXE500-Beta-FW-v1-0-9-72-is-avail...

Message 74 of 111
HarrySmooth
Tutor

SCREW IT! I'm DONE with this POS!!! This is the 2nd one, and I have spent about 40 hrs testing various settings etc and STILL can't get crap for speed! Hooked up my OLD Nighthawk R9000..... and it's BLOWING this 11000 outa the WATER! And it's YEARS old! 
so I sent the 2nd 11000 back and got another AX6000 that just up and quit on me! No lights, no power, nothing! Just died! But it was BLAZING FAST for 2 years! Then just died about 2 months after my geek squad plan ended! Got FOUR year support on this one! Lol

yeah I truly Believe after reading all of the blogs about this 11,000 I can't find hardly anyone that is happy with this thing! I mean I have literally read hundreds and hundreds of posts saying this thing is a piece of crap! And it truly is! Don't waste your money

Message 75 of 111
Discussion stats
  • 110 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7