× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Not getting full internet speed over Wifi

Drumman3
Aspirant

Not getting full internet speed over Wifi

I purchased the RAX120 router because lots of reviews and post I’ve seen say this router has over a Gig throughput over Wifi, I have Gig+ xfinity internet, the internal speed test shows I’m getting between 1300 and 1400Mbps internet speed to the router, but my WiFi speed just does hit 800Mbps. Is it what I’m using to test with not capable of hitting those speeds (iPhone11) or am I missing a setting somewhere?
Message 1 of 10
microchip8
Master

You're not missing anything. Advertised wifi speeds are mostly theoretical and in an ideal environment. You'll never fully reach them in practice due to various issues like interference, amount of streams, wifi hardware, etc. I'd say 800 Mbps is pretty good for a 2x2 client
Message 2 of 10

As @microchip8 suggests, your expectations are not in the real world.

It might be worth a bit of background reading.

Understand Wi-Fi 4/5/6 (802.11 n/ac/ad/ax)

@duckware knows their stuff and can bust a few myths and cut through marketing hype.

Message 3 of 10
Drumman3
Aspirant

So the people I’ve seen say they are getting over a gig have the right unit to test the speed or they did it at the right time and the environment was perfect or they are lying?
Message 4 of 10
microchip8
Master

Could be both...
Message 5 of 10
Drumman3
Aspirant

So, the only way to find a router to give me a gig output is to buy and test, can’t listen to the reviews?
Which stinks because I bought this router off eBay and it seems to be working just fine, it’s brand new just not getting the output I am looking for.
Message 6 of 10

@Drumman3 wrote:
So, the only way to find a router to give me a gig output is to buy and test, can’t listen to the reviews?

What do you do that needs Gigabit Wifi?

How many Wifi clients do you own that are that fast?

Message 7 of 10
microchip8
Master

You're not getting the "output" you're looking for because your test client device (iPhone 11) can't handle more than what you already get (~800 Mbps). It's a 2x2 MIMO device. As mentioned, you not only need the right equipment but also an ideal setting to get even close to the advertised speeds
Message 8 of 10
Drumman3
Aspirant

Amazon FireStick sideloading apps. The faster the internet the less problems with buffering. May just buy the adapter to use it hardwired.
Message 9 of 10
schumaku
Guru

@Drumman3 wrote:
I purchased the RAX120 router because lots of reviews and post I’ve seen say this router has over a Gig throughput over Wifi, I have Gig+ xfinity internet, the internal speed test shows I’m getting between 1300 and 1400Mbps internet speed to the router, but my WiFi speed just does hit 800Mbps. Is it what I’m using to test with not capable of hitting those speeds (iPhone11) or am I missing a setting somewhere?

Nice marketing numbers, unreal however. Technically, the iPhone 11 with it's 80 MHz bandwidth capability and an MCS 9 (VHT) can reach a physical link speed of 866 Mb/s on AC and and MCS 11 (HE) of 1200 Mb/s on AX, Sources: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/deployment/dep268652e6c/web and https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html#wifi6 

Yes, it's interesting Apple does restrict the hardware capabilities for AC 5 and AX 6  to these average 80 MHz bandwidth, except of the 6E (6 GHz) channels - this is what limits the physical max link rate.

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7