× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Office No Modem Just Ethernet Port on Wall

bluejway
Aspirant

Office No Modem Just Ethernet Port on Wall

I tried to set up the Nighthawk AX12 in my university office. There’s no modem, just an ethernet cable coming out of the wall. I registered the AX12’s Mac Address with our university server as required, but the set up fails. No Internet connection. 

Any suggestions? 

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Razor512
Prodigy

While you will be under a double NAT, (no avoiding it in that case), make sure you give then the MAC address for the WAN port (available on the advanced tab of the router page).

Also, does the university heavily restrict network traffic, e.g., only allowing a small number of ports to be used, in addition to a restriction for a wide range of traffic types?

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Suggestion? 
Check a little more with your university network/it department. 

Maybe the wrong mac is registered, maybe they haven't authorized it appropriately. 

when things are connected to university setup, its usually something in their firewall/setup that needs to be addressed. 

Message 2 of 5
Razor512
Prodigy

While you will be under a double NAT, (no avoiding it in that case), make sure you give then the MAC address for the WAN port (available on the advanced tab of the router page).

Also, does the university heavily restrict network traffic, e.g., only allowing a small number of ports to be used, in addition to a restriction for a wide range of traffic types?

Message 3 of 5
bluejway
Aspirant

It's fixed

Message 4 of 5

@bluejway wrote:

It's fixed

Care to share how, so that you can help anyone else who turns up here with the same problem?

Did you follow the suggestion from @Razor512?

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7