× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Purchased Nighthawk RAX43 USED from Amazon, SSID and Pswd reset overnight to former owner

jweber4_2000
Follower

Purchased Nighthawk RAX43 USED from Amazon, SSID and Pswd reset overnight to former owner

First - I would consider myself a step below expert in the ways of routers, switches and modems, having once been Novell and Microsoft certified.  I bought this Amazon Warehouse returned Nighthawk RAX43 to replace a 5yr old R7000.  Amazon had a killer buy on this, under $50 shipped, figured it was time to jump up to AX.  I'm an old fart, I'm retired, my needs are very simple, I don't need the absolute newest top of the line stuff.  Getting AX for $50, albeit a returned item, sounded great, and I already had several devices that could use it.  

* Upon unboxing and plugging in, it clearly had been hard-reset, it went through all the normal initial new-owner setup steps.

* Setup went great - except - I could not register it with Netgear, it was already registered under the previous owner, Netgear would not allow me to enter it.

* I let it do it's thing as far as full firmware update to the latest firmware (as of yesterday).

* Wifi SSID's - I of course used the exact same SSIDs and passwords as my old one.  After setup, all my wifi devices lit up and were happy, even the ones with AX.

Here's the problem---

* Next day, the SSID's and passwords reset themselves, NOT to any Netgear default, back to clearly what would have been the previous owners, with specific SSID names and passwords.

I'm guessing ET phoned home, logged in to it's previous owner's Netgear account, and restored it's old setup.  How do I stop this?

The only entry in the log when it reset is this---

[Initialized, firmware version: V1.0.12.120_2.0.83] Sunday, Jan 08, 2023 02:04:55

I have disabled Router Auto Firmware Update

Message 1 of 2
microchip8
Master

Re: Purchased Nighthawk RAX43 USED from Amazon, SSID and Pswd reset overnight to former owner

You've set up the router prior to the new firmware update. I'd hard reset it again (button on the back) and set up from scratch one more time.
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7