× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: QoS Question

jesseinla
Aspirant

QoS Question

I notice when I enable QoS and only I am connected, my speed then lowers from 582Mbps to about 450Mbps. Is the QoS on my RAXE500 — Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream AXE11000 Tri-Band WiFi 6E Router not that intelligent? Also, I noticed when I disable QoS my Ping goes down a few ms. This makes me not want to use QoS. Are they going to improve this in a future Firmware update?

Message 1 of 3
Kitsap
Master

@jesseinla wrote:

I notice when I enable QoS and only I am connected, my speed then lowers from 582Mbps to about 450Mbps. Is the QoS on my RAXE500 — Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream AXE11000 Tri-Band WiFi 6E Router not that intelligent? Also, I noticed when I disable QoS my Ping goes down a few ms. This makes me not want to use QoS. Are they going to improve this in a future Firmware update?

When internet throughput capacities moved past the 200-300 Mbps range, QoS became obsolete.  Turn it off and leave it off.

Message 2 of 3

@jesseinla wrote:

I notice when I enable QoS and only I am connected, my speed then lowers from 582Mbps to about 450Mbps.

QoS requires your router to do things to the traffic on our network. That's what it is for. This processing slows things down and eats into the router's processing power.

QoS is an old technology designed for conflicts on slow Internet connections. When you have an Internet service above about 300 Mbps, some say lower, it is pointless. Your bandwidth can handle just about anything you throw at it.

Whenever people turn up here with complaints about the speed of their router, the first advice is to turn off QoS, followed by anything else that eats into the router's processor power, like traffic metering.

What were you hoping to achieve with QoS? If you have a problem of some sort, tell us what that is and you might get suggestions for other things that you could try to fix it.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7