× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6700AXS VPN

aldo2433
Tutor

R6700AXS VPN

Hello,

I bought this R6700AXS router to be able to use VPN (I have expressVPN) but it looks like I can only use it for PureVPN which I'm not interested in. ExpressVPN does not have firmware that would support this router. What can we do about this? Do I just need to return the device since it does not meet my needs or can I solve this problem?

Please let me know.

Message 1 of 6

Re: R6700AXS VPN

@aldo2433 wrote:

ExpressVPN does not have firmware that would support this router. What can we do about this?

You'll have to ask ExpressVPN for help there.

If a device needs custom firmware, Netgear isn't going to support it and won't advise you how to "break" its routers.

Message 2 of 6
plemans
Guru

If you're wanting to install 3rd party firmware, you need to make sure to buy a router that supports it. The only R6700 they supported was V3. Not the AX version. 

This page has what routers they do support. 

https://www.expressvpn.com/support/knowledge-hub/supported-devices/

Message 3 of 6
aldo2433
Tutor

thank you for replying to my post. I did ask them and they advised that it may "break" but is that true? Would it damage the router completely?

Message 4 of 6
aldo2433
Tutor

Thank you for replying to my post. I thought that as long as the router has VPN capabilities it will work just fine, but I did not know that it needed OPEN VPN. I guess my question is what router is best where it matches or is better than the one I bought? Does not need to be Netgear just something below $100. Please let me know as I'm not an expert in those types of things. 

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

don't try to put the v3 firmware on the R6700ax. If you can even get it to take the firmware (it shouldn't), its different hardware and will brick it. 

Your best option if you're using expressvpn is to look at their list of supported routers and pick one of those. 

You can use that router as the primary and use a 2nd router as an access point if you want better wireless than the 1st can provide. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7