× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX120 Internet drops on iPhone

Ar3
Tutor
Tutor

RAX120 Internet drops on iPhone

Hi all - I am having an annoying issue with my RAX120 that I really hope you can help me fix!  A few times per day, I lose internet connectivity on my iPhone, until I toggle the wifi on and off, which makes it start working again.  Interestingly, the wifi signal strength on the phone always shows full strength when it happens, but there is no internet access. However, I CAN still connect to 192.169.1.1 when it happens so I know the connection to the router is good.     

This also happens to other family members' iPhones as well, but not to other devices in the house (laptops, IOT devices, Roku, etc. never have this issue that I can tell).   It happens at different times during the day with no discernable patterns.   When it happens to me, I can walk around the house and see that other devices are still streaming video or otherwise working just fine.

I have AX enabled and SmartConnect.  I have tried pin-hole rebooting several times.  I am on .122 firmware.  I have disabled Armor.  I have tried both DHCP and manually setting IP address.  I have tried both my ISP provider's DNS settings and also tried 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4. I am using a very basic router configuration and not using VPN, Access Control, QoS, or USB devices.

Because I can still reach 192.168.1.1 when it happens it makes me believe this is a bug with the router, but its strange that it only seems to affect iPhone devices.  

When I look in the router logs, all I see is the device reconnecting after I toggle the device wifi on/off.  If there was a way to enable more detail logging on the router maybe I could get some more clues but I dont know how to do that.

I really want to love this router, but this is extremely annoying!  Sometimes my phone will drop calls in mid-sentence because the phone was using WiFi calling and the internet cuts out mid-call, which is not good for work!

Thanks for any help with this problem.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
Topology
Virtuoso

Ar3, it may be helpful to perform a “network reset” on your iPhone - see Step 7 here.

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem, RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 2 of 8
Ar3
Tutor
Tutor

@Topology wrote:

Ar3, it may be helpful to perform a “network reset” on your iPhone - see Step 7 here.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I have tried that, but it didn't help.  The problem is also happening to the other iPhones in my house (4 others) and this never happened with my previous router, so I'm pretty sure it is not a problem with the phones.  

Message 3 of 8
Ar3
Tutor
Tutor

Anyone else have something like this happening?  Its still happening and its still annoying for a $400 router to be doing this 😞

Message 4 of 8
rinthos
Luminary

@Ar3 wrote:

Anyone else have something like this happening?  Its still happening and its still annoying for a $400 router to be doing this 😞

What type of Modem do you have? Is your modem also asking as a router by chance? If so, either disable that or change your Router to Bridge or AP-only mode.

Also try turning SmartConnect OFF and see if that fixes the issue?

Have you updated the firmware on your router?

What version of iOS and what model iPhones are you using that all exhibit the same issue?

Message 5 of 8
NordicBastrd
Apprentice

Basically that is the same issue that occurs in this thread:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/RAX120-Slow-Wifi-Speeds/m-p/195173...

In that thread it is talking about how the speeds drop but the actual negotiation still stays at high speeds.  Just actual traffic is basically useless. On mine if I do a speedtest it hiccups a bunch before spitting out around 6 Mbps but because of those hiccups internet usage is for all intents and purposes dead.  The solution is to return the router if you still can and get something that works.  I would suggest amplifi alien or Asus

Message 6 of 8
Jlopuski
Aspirant

I am experiencing the exact same problem with my RAX120. In addition to IPhones dropping the connections it’s also happening to my MacBook Pro. It is very annoying and more annoying to be happens after spending $400.00 for what you think is a good router.
Message 7 of 8
sjbhh
Apprentice

Same here - these Netgear routers are just disastrous considering how much money you spend on them. 

I have this router now for a few years and there is not one week where it work without any error. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7