× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX120 QoS / speed issues?

neagle392
Follower

RAX120 QoS / speed issues?

Hello,

I just installed my brand new RAX120 router and I noticed that im having some issues regarding speed between wired and wireless connections and QoS. I don't have my ISP activated at 1gps yet (apparently comast has to do a "professional install" aka money grab). So for now, don't expect 1,000mbps speeds. After initial install my wifi-connected internet speeds were 200+mbps (very good for my current ISP speeds). However, my wired desktop connection was just over 100mbps. 

I disabled QoS on the router and my wired desktop speed shot up to anywhere between 250-400mbps. However, my wifi-connected internet speeds dropped to 30mbps. 

So what gives? Am I just supposed to chose which type of connection that I want to be fast, and which one that I want to be slow? 

Any ideas on a solution?

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
jay_w
Guide

That sounds very strange to me. QOS usually doesn’t impact wired vs wireless, it’s the traffic type or MAC address that gets prioritized and going to 30mbps on wireless is very low and very odd. When you say that you disabled QOS, did you actually enable it first and then disable it? There’s the “enable upstream QOS” option but there isn’t an option for downstream.
Message 2 of 3

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router. The model number could be useful.

I disabled QoS on the router and my wired desktop speed shot up to anywhere between 250-400mbps. However, my wifi-connected internet speeds dropped to 30mbps. 

The general advice is that QoS is best turned off for any Internet speed above 300 Mbps, some recommend even slower, especially if you aren't doing anything that justifies using QoS.

QoS just puts a strain on the router's processor and generally slows things down. Likewise the traffic meter.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7