× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX120v2 keeps randomly restarting

derekcannady
Guide

RAX120 V2 Constant Random Reboots

The router reboots  frequently sometimes every 30 minutes. I have noticed that the router reboots under heavy system load of +50% on the processor.  The only way I have been able to drastically lessen the issue is by turning off 2.4 Ghz WMM  services.  Unfortunately my 2.4 Ghz devices pay the price for that with slower  throughput. I can't even view some security camera streams any longer because the bandwidth is so poor.

I first purchased this router about a month ago and have already had the unit replaced by NG once but unfortunately the replacement does the same thing.   I am within the time period to return the router.  I'm hesitant to purchase the RAX200 because of the same issue.  I may have to try another brand after 10 years of using NG.  It doesn't look like Netgear has a solution for this either- I've spent plenty of time troubleshooting with the Level 2 support folks (they spent a lot of insinuating that the power outlet was the culprit, even after trying the router on several outlets and APC backups)). 

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 18 of 707

Accepted Solutions
UnKnOwN-SiA
Tutor

Installed beta firmware 1.2.3.33 on it and then turn fan on in debug.htm. Just check mark it , don’t click on apply.
And bought a cool pad from amazon $10 . 4 days in a row no restart and router works perfect.

Laptop Cooling Pad,ESGAMING Laptop Cooling Stand Laptop Cooler 10-15.6 Inch 2 USB Ports 2 Fans with Blue LEDs https://a.co/d/dXVVnxw

View solution in original post

Message 143 of 707

All Replies
Zoza83
Initiate

RAX120v2 - Reboot

This thing continues to reboot at random throughout the day.  I prevously owned an Orbi and I'm quickly regretting spending the cash on this indadequate device.  Considering the amount of $$ I hadto shell out for this, there's zero reason as to why I should have any issues with this device.  What an absolute waste.

Message 1 of 707
plemans
Guru

Re: RAX120v2 - Reboot

Did you just buy this? 

Have you tried going through support?

To get a hold of support. Click on "MyNetgear" at the top.
Register an account (or login) and then the device.
From there you can start the support process. Keep in mind that its only free for the first 90 days.

Message 2 of 707
AvgNetBoi
Tutor

RAX120v2 keeps randomly restarting

Hi,

My router keeps randomly restarting. Network provider is doing fine - stable connection without any disturbances (I tested on different router while Nighthawk is going down. I also contacted the provider and they said there's been no problems on their side. I did turn off auto firmware updates but it did not help. I tried to browse logs but it only shows new logs from the boot up moment. My home network setup is super straightforward - minimal setup to make it work, did the Netgear app setup.

My setup is:
Nighthawk AX12 RAX120v2
Firmware V1.2.3.28
Router Mode

Router restarts few times a day, not more than 10.
Any suggestions would be really appreciated!
Thanks!

Message 3 of 707
AvgNetBoi
Tutor

One thing to add - I did work properly like 2 months ago. Updates were turned on and my patience can't handle the restarts anymore. I was thinking about downgrading firmware but I don't know to which version.

Message 4 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapter for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch. Power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute then back ON as well. 

Message 5 of 707
AvgNetBoi
Tutor

I did the factory reset, basic Netgear app setup and still the same. I live in a new apartment so there are few neighbours, I can detect 4 networks. I did power off and on many times for like 5 minutes and it still did not help. Again, my old router worth less than $50 had zero issues.

Message 6 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapter for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch. Power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute then back ON as well. 

Message 7 of 707
AvgNetBoi
Tutor

How do I check that? Technican from my internet provider connected one cable from some magic box with multiple ethernet outlets to Nighthawk router and it all worked 🙂

Message 8 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 9 of 707
AvgNetBoi
Tutor

What's Mfr and model#?
Yes, I have performed full factory reset and it's been setup from scratch via Netgear app as I mentioned before.

Message 10 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

Brand and model# of ISP Modem or ONT that the RAX is connected too.

Message 11 of 707
AvgNetBoi
Tutor

There's no label on the ethernet outlets, nothing to guess the brand.

Message 12 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, sounds like you have a wall jack for your ISP services and there is a switch or something else centrally located else where. 

Message 13 of 707
AvgNetBoi
Tutor

How can I contact Netgear support in this case? I bought RAX over 3 months ago and I have no option to contact them 😞

Message 14 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

Try this? https://my.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Or contact a forum moderator.

Message 15 of 707
AvgNetBoi
Tutor

There's no option to contact them for me. It says I have no warranty support even though RAX is under warranty for 2 more years... Awesome support.

Message 16 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

Contact a forum Moderator to see what options you have. Explain what your having problems with. 

Message 17 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RAX120 V2 Constant Random Reboots

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Is Smart Connect enabled? 

What 2.4Ghz devices do you all have connected? 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Message 19 of 707
Eric35
Guide

The router can reboot because of heat as well...
Eather it's some settings 2.4ghz or heat issue.
Message 20 of 707
derekcannady
Guide

Re: RAX120v2 - Reboot

Disable WMM on 2.4 gHZ solves reboot issues. 

Message 21 of 707
derekcannady
Guide

Disabling WMM on 2.4 Ghz Spectrum should solve your reboot issues. 

Message 22 of 707
derekcannady
Guide

It's not a heat issue. It's a system load issue- the system load shoudl not be at 75% for any reason, ever. 

Message 23 of 707
AvgNetBoi
Tutor

I did some testing over the time I've been quiet here.

1. I have disabled all the devices
2. Turned on Access Control
3. I have added only PC
(few days passed, no restarts)
4. Then MacBooks
5. Then iPhones
6. and then HomePod Minis

HomePod Minis make RAX120 restart. I have tried both 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz networks but the issue is the same on both. I wonder who should solve the issue - Netgear or Apple, or me doing some configurations to make those devices work together.

Message 24 of 707
Killhippie
Prodigy

Turning off WMM really slows your wifi network down, I have the V1 which does not reboot and since the v2 has no new features over the v1 I would contact Apple to start if you have Applecare as Apple suggest to leave WMM on, as I said it wrecks wifi performance with it off so thats not a long term solution. If its Apple gear causing issues you should be able to get help, it may be that your RAX120v2 is actually in need of replacing, but I would try and get the attention of a Netgear mod on here who may be able to pass you to level 2 support. Have you tried just using the router in AC mode and see if its more compatible, also dont use 160Mhz as that can cauuse issues, the same as 40Mhz on 2.4 can cause issues. Has the router been reset using the pinhole in the back of the router? Then reapply the firmware via a laptop or PC and dont use the app, I would try that way as updating firmware or having auto update on can much things up sadly as the fiormware is buggy to say the least, resetting via the app is not the best way to do things, tbh I dont even use the app, I just update via my Mac.

Message 25 of 707
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7