× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX120 V2 Constant Random Reboots

jrgerber
Initiate

Same exact scenario here.  I'm currently on RAX120 firmware 1.2.3.28.  The reboots were so bad over the past three weeks that I assumed power was possibly causing the reboot and bought a UPS.

Suspecting this could be a software bug in the latest firmware or worse a security bug someone is remotely exploiting I did an internet search to see if anyone else is having the same issue.  From what I'm reading, in December 2021 they had 16 severe security issues fixed in the latest firmware.  Of course those 16 are known vulnerabilities.  With that many known just last month in December, statistically this suggests there are many unknown.

My first thought is the same.  What other routers (and companies) are out there where I don't have to deal with my router interrupting watching movies and so on due to security exploits?

The problem is it's too easy for hardware manufacturers to grab any old license free Linux distro, stick it into a box and call it a router, and not care or need to have OS and security experts within the company maintaining the OS.  Make a flashy looking device and suckers like myself will buy it.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 26 of 707
beachmiles
Apprentice

Thanks for the idea, disabling the 2.4ghz wmm definitely helped reduce the random reboot I could easily cause by having a 2.4ghz client attempt to do a long 4gb download from Microsoft. I tried like 5 times and always it would cause the router to reset like a minute into the download. I disabled the wmm and it downloaded fine the first time.

I did a full system reset, disabled smart connect, forced 2.4ghz in 20mhz mode on channel 1 with no luck before disabling wmm.

It's crazy that this high end fairly new wifi 6 router would have this kind of terrible stability.
Message 27 of 707
AwesomeSeaMonky
Initiate

I bought this router in November where it auto reboots 2 to 3 times a month. Ive tried searching online for answers but all everyone talks about is updating the firmeware or that there might be power, cable or heat issues. What a load of bull. There is nothing wrong with the power, cable or heat and firmware updates have made no difference to the issue. Why don't Netgear own up that their router has problems and they need to invest in a fix.
I had an Asus router for years which never rebooted by itself, then I decided to upgrade for a beefier unit and moved to Netgear. Now I'm stuck with these rebooting issues and bad advice for a fix. 
I will be getting rid of my Netgear and purchasing a Asus again... that's the best fix out there. Too many posts online about Netgear rebooting with no good help, so do yourself a favour and change to another brand.

Message 28 of 707
AvgNetBoi
Tutor

Re: RAX120v2 keeps randomly restarting

I have done more and more digging - updated all devices to the latest, restarted and so on. HomePods still make Netgear RAX120v2 restart randomly. I took HomePods to my parents house, configured them with no issues, zero restarts, worked perfectly. At this point I must assume RAX120v2 is broken and I am looking forward getting another router, probably Linksys from Apple store. I have talked to Apple support and they also confirm there's no such known issue on their side and it's defo a new case.

I just hope Netgear will understand and accept warranty since IMHO router for around $500 should not have such issues. 

Message 29 of 707
eastside
Tutor

Hi,

Has anyone been able to enable WMM for the 2.4GHZ radio and not have dropped connections and both 2.4 and 5GHZ radio SSIDs dissapear?

I have been communicating with Netgear support for weeks now with so many different recommendations but none of them have resolved this issue. 

It seems the only way this router will work is with 2.4 GHZ WMM turned off which is junk since your speeds are greatly reduced.

Message 30 of 707

I've been dealing with this issue non-stop since December 2021 and I think I've figured this out.  The router has a processosr that apparently is very sensitive to any change in voltage.  Any fluctuation will make it reboot so this can be caused by router features, but it is mostly caused by power fluctuations that can be caused when you plug your router into a UPS that houses other devices.  If you are having this problem, try puging the router directly into the wall, on a spower strip by itself or on a UPS by itself.  I tried this and my router has never again had this proble.  I realize this is still a flaw on Netgears part but at least I can use the router withut issues.

Message 31 of 707
beachmiles
Apprentice

Are you able to leave the wmm 2.4ghz enabled and still not get the random reboots??
Message 32 of 707

Update: The router didn't reboot for almost 3 days, and then out of nowhwere it rebooted twice in about an hour.  Now it's been stable for 14 hours without a reboot.  I have 32 connected devices with a mix of 2.4 ghz and 5ghz, wireless and wired, and the only change I made was connecting directly into the wall socket.  This definitely did not fix the problem, but it has reduced the frequency of reboots significantly, even with 2.4ghz running.  I opened a ticket with Netgear support and we are in on going discussions over next steps.  They have offered to replace the router if we don't reach a permanent and acceptable solution.

Message 33 of 707
beachmiles
Apprentice

Thanks for this post about the voltage. I thought I had a pure sine wave UPS APC unit but evidently it was a hybrid between modified sine wave and pure sine wave. I replaced with a 180 dollar cyber power pure sine wave UPS and re-enabled 2.4ghz WMM and the router has been on for over 8 days straight which would never have happened before. So I would recommend everyone get a pure sine wave UPS with active APC if you experience random reboots with Netgear routers.
Message 34 of 707
jmcorra
Tutor

I've been encountering the same problem and in working with Netgear Tech support who have been very helpful, concluded that the router should be exchanged which has been in service for 6 weeks. Prior to the installation of this RAX120v2, I had for 6 years a Nighthawk R8000 which never rebooted on its own; hence, the setup and location (prior to current) is exactly the same with of-course the exception upgraded router to a Rax120v2. Netgear support tried the obvious things in their problem determination. Plug the router directly into a wall outlet eliminating an extension cord, they reinstalled the latest firmware V1.2.3.28, and when the problem of random rebooting continued, they had me perform a factory reset. None of the aforementioned corrected the problem which could occur in my case, once every 3-4 days or 2-3 times in a single day. Seemingly the only constant with the reboots, is a variable when considering current conditions, and elapsed time in-between the random reboots. Unfortunately when I inquired with Netgear Support, they informed me that this device does not log error codes, nor can any traces or traps be implemented which is surprising to me. This leaves open the question for all,  (clients, and Tech Support) of determining what the root cause of this random rebooting of the RAX120v2 is.  My exchange for the same device has been requested and if this solves the problem one could assume a hardware problem, and should it reoccur, it's likely an unidentified logical problem and I'll need to select a different model. 

Message 35 of 707
doctorcito
Star

Same issue here. Have been going back and forth with support for MONTHS! They have provided a replacement RMA device that has the same issue. My ISP is Verizon FiOS and my router is connected directly to the ONT modem via Ethernet. Netgear has provided multiple beta firmwares that also have not fixed the issue. In addition to providing them with countless logs and config files. This is the worst router ever, dropping zoom calls on the daily, can't watch a movie without it dropping midway through. I am way past the return period for my router. I am considering marking this as a loss and moving on!
Message 36 of 707
beachmiles
Apprentice

Disable 2.4ghz WMM in QOS setup.
But the best fix may be to get a pure sine wave UPS to fix power issues at your house. I got one of these and my router has been up 18 days straight with 2.4ghz wmm enabled still.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00429N192/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_PWZTAMACNR8FQJKH52DF?psc=1
Message 37 of 707
doctorcito
Star

Disabling 2.4GHZ WMM seems to be doing the trick. I am at 21+ hours of uptime for the first time in a while. Will look into getting the UPS if I continue to get the issue. Requiring a UPS on a router would be a first for me as all other routers in the past have been plugged in directly into the wall socket.

Message 38 of 707
doctorcito
Star

Does anyone with more technical knowledge understand why disabling WMM is making it more stable? I am currently at 1+ days of stable uptime. Albeit with a very very slow 2.4ghz band.

Message 39 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What channels are you using? 
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Most of the time WMM should be enabled as this allows for best wifi performances on 2.4Ghz to be seen. Depending on what you have connected, your environment and conditions and possible bad FW code, could be anything leading up to this odd problem. 

Also has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update?

@DarrenM 

@doctorcito wrote:

Does anyone with more technical knowledge understand why disabling WMM is making it more stable? I am currently at 1+ days of stable uptime. Albeit with a very very slow 2.4ghz band.

Message 40 of 707
doctorcito
Star

Hi, I am currently running a beta firmware provided by Netgear (V1.2.3.33-0315). The router is connected to a Verizon FIOS Alcatel-Lucent I-211M-L modem.

Channels

2.4ghz: Channel
Auto ( 4(P) + 8(S) )

5ghz: 36(P)+40+44+48

There are various other networks around me así live in an apartment. Finally, I did perform a factory reset when I upgraded the firmware.

Message 41 of 707
doctorcito
Star

Attachment of 5ghz network channel scan
Message 42 of 707
doctorcito
Star

Disabling WMM is the one thing that has seemingly made stable. I'm currently at 1 day and 5 hours of uptime
Message 43 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

@doctorcito wrote:
Hi, I am currently running a beta firmware provided by Netgear (V1.2.3.33-0315). <You might downgrade to v.28 and see if this changes anything. I don't see v.33 being listed as of yet on NGs site. https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RAX120#download

The router is connected to a Verizon FIOS Alcatel-Lucent I-211M-L modem.

Channels

2.4ghz: Channel
Auto ( 4(P) + 8(S) )< channels you should be using are 1, 6 or 11. If you have wifi neighbors around, try turning down the power output from 100% to 50 or 25 % with SC, MIMO and WMM enabled to see if this helps.

5ghz: 36(P)+40+44+48

There are various other networks around me así live in an apartment. Finally, I did perform a factory reset when I upgraded the firmware.

Message 44 of 707
beachmiles
Apprentice

I've done all the tricks with no luck (factory reset, disable wifi smart mode, etc). The only thing that worked to stop the random reboots using the firmware settings was disabling the 2.4Ghz WMM.

But when someone said something about dirty power being the problem for him I found out my UPS wasn't a pure sine wave UPS like I thought. I replaced it with a pure sine wave UPS and I re-enabled the 2.4GHZ WMM and I have been running for 18 days straight. So the root problem appears to be dirty power and somehow disabling 2.4Ghz lets the router handle the dirty power better.

Message 45 of 707
doctorcito
Star

Thanks for the response! Netgear really dropped the ball on this one. This is the first I hear of dirty power causing issues on a router in all my years of having routers. The UPS is another $180. I'm might as well switch to another product. At this point I just want my $350 back. Sadly, I doubt that will happen. This router belongs in the trash.🗑
Message 46 of 707
doctorcito
Star

Support is also trash, I have been going back and forth with them for MONTHS! At this point I feel that I work for Netgear. Do you guys know if the RAX200 is having the same issues? It's been more than 10+ years of great Netgear products for me.
Message 47 of 707
doctorcito
Star

I think I pissed someone off on the Netgear support team. They are not responding to my support ticket anymore. I have resorted to threatening the router as a last resort. I told the router: "If you restart one more time, I am throwing you in the trash". Will update with my results later today.

Message 48 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

So did you try the suggestions I mentioned? 

@doctorcito 

Message 49 of 707
doctorcito
Star

Hi @Furry,

I did a downgrade back down to v1.2.3.28. Haven't messed around with the channel settings yet. Disabling WMM was not the solution as the router still restarted after 1 day and 6 hours. Currently at 15 hours of uptime after the downgrade and factory reset. Will keep you posted!
Message 50 of 707
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7