× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX120 V2 Constant Random Reboots

FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, what channels are currently being used? 

What is the transmit power set for currently? I presume 100%? 

Is WMM enabled currently? 

@doctorcito wrote:
Hi @Furry,

I did a downgrade back down to v1.2.3.28. Haven't messed around with the channel settings yet. Disabling WMM was not the solution as the router still restarted after 1 day and 6 hours. Currently at 15 hours of uptime after the downgrade and factory reset. Will keep you posted!

Message 51 of 707
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

I reached out the engineering about this issue and we do have a beta firmware that may have a fix for the issue if you would like to try this firmware please send me a Pm

Thanks

DarrenM

Message 52 of 707
Briarchild
Tutor

Hi I would like to try this beta firmware for the Rax120 reboots issue.
Could you send me an email: 75646772@qq.com
Message 53 of 707
Slgreen
Aspirant

Hello,  can I get the RAX120 V2 beta firmware for the reboot issue?  Thanks

Message 54 of 707
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

I have PM you the firmware.

Message 55 of 707
JayFiveAlive
Guide

Pm sent!
Message 56 of 707
SkippyNL
Guide

Hi moderator,

Could you please send me the beta firmware link?
Thank you in advance!

Best regards,
Skipp
Message 57 of 707
doctorcito
Star

Beta firmware did not do it for me. Against my own judgement, I've decided to upgrade to the RAX200 and it has been up and running for 2 days. 🤞
Message 58 of 707
SkippyNL
Guide

I understand your purchase decision, but you shouldnt have to buy a new (different) router ofcourse, i mean the AX 120 v2 is still pretty new and should do its job.
Having said that, i do hope you wont experience any issues! I've, in general, very good experience with nighthawk routers, so im still hoping for that definitive fix. Good luck OP
Message 59 of 707
pkaytes
Guide

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if the beta fw solves the inability to enable the VPN service as seen with fw 1.2.3.28?

Pete

Message 60 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/RAX120-V2-Constant-Random-Reboots/...

@pkaytes wrote:

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if the beta fw solves the inability to enable the VPN service as seen with fw 1.2.3.28?

Pete

Message 61 of 707
ekso
Tutor

I am interested in the beta firmware as well.

One thing that seems to help the constant reboots was unplugging the modem from the outlet for a few seconds then plugging it again. The power source does not have a ground connection, but my apartment electric installation also doesn't have grounded outlets as well.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 62 of 707
SkippyNL
Guide

Hi moderator,

Could you please send me the beta firmware too?

I'm currently completely unable to see my WiFi SSID, even though it's active and i'm able to connect to it through the Nighthawk app on my phone.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Skippy

Message 63 of 707
Kidhack
Star

Re: RAX120 v2 - internet connection dropped once almost every week

I have the same problem I think.

The router just stops working, both wires and wireless. It has to be rebooted to work again. It seems to happen randomly about once every few days.

I have a fiber connection and the router is connected to many devices that are wired via switches and wirelessly including Samsung TV, Apple TV, HomePod minis, NAS, Hue Hub, Arlo, PC, Macs, PS5, etc.

Hard to troubleshoot since it resets every few days and we need to use it for work.

Message 64 of 707
Kidhack
Star

Yeah they stopped responding to me too.

This router sucks. Just disappears off the grid randomly. Still has lights on, but there’s no one home and Netgear support DGAS.
Message 65 of 707
plemans
Guru

@Kidhack You can contact a mod about the beta firmware

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Routers-with-WiFi-6-AX/RAX120-V2-Constant-Random-Reboots/...

if that doesn't help, please start your own thread so we can help you 1:1 and not confuse your details with the OP's. 

Message 66 of 707
Kidhack
Star

I did. The firmware disk image seems to be corrupt. 

Kidhack_0-1650048875707.png

Message 67 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

DO NOT attempt to open the FW file after it's extracted from the .zip file. Just use the web browser to log in to the routers web page and in the router FW update section, select BROWSE and navigate out to where the .img file is located to select it. Then select the update button. 

Message 68 of 707
fiftofar
Aspirant

May I please get the RAX120 v2 beta firmware moderator?
@DarrenM
Message 69 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

Just curious if you have tried the Beta FW thats being offered? 

@derekcannady wrote:

The router reboots  frequently sometimes every 30 minutes. I have noticed that the router reboots under heavy system load of +50% on the processor.  The only way I have been able to drastically lessen the issue is by turning off 2.4 Ghz WMM  services.  Unfortunately my 2.4 Ghz devices pay the price for that with slower  throughput. I can't even view some security camera streams any longer because the bandwidth is so poor.

I first purchased this router about a month ago and have already had the unit replaced by NG once but unfortunately the replacement does the same thing.   I am within the time period to return the router.  I'm hesitant to purchase the RAX200 because of the same issue.  I may have to try another brand after 10 years of using NG.  It doesn't look like Netgear has a solution for this either- I've spent plenty of time troubleshooting with the Level 2 support folks (they spent a lot of insinuating that the power outlet was the culprit, even after trying the router on several outlets and APC backups)). 

Message 70 of 707
Kidhack
Star

I installed the beta last week and so far the router hasn't dropped, but will report back if it does.

Message 71 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Thanks for letting us know. 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...

@Kidhack wrote:

I installed the beta last week and so far the router hasn't dropped, but will report back if it does.

Message 72 of 707
K3onix
Aspirant

I have the same issue with my router. Can you send me the Beta firmware as well?

Message 73 of 707
milasido
Tutor

@DarrenM please send me the firmware, I want to try it too, thank you

Message 74 of 707
Kidhack
Star

Update. Same issue happened. Happens every few days still. 

Symptoms:
- All, wifi and ethernet, connections die (devices do not see router, no network in wifi menu)

- WPS and wifi LEDs on front are off (pressing the WPS / wifi buttons has no effect)

- Lights on back of router are flashing

Temporary solution:

- Turn off and turn on router

- Get really frustrated

Message 75 of 707
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7