× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX120v2 keeps randomly restarting

UnKnOwN-SiA
Tutor

Re: RAX120 V2 Constant Random Reboots

could you please share it with me ?

rax120 beta firmware.

thank you

Message 101 of 707
UnKnOwN-SiA
Tutor

NETGEAR Nighthawk AX12 RAX120 BETA FIRMWARE REQUEST

Hi all

Could you please someone share the latest beta firmware for rax120 v2?

I have att fiber 5000mbps service and connect it to 5gbps rax120 port.

stability of this router is weird.

on att modem speedtest, I am getting almost 5600mbps upload and download.

on router app getting almost 4200mbps upload and download.

over wifi 6 single device I am getting 1200mbps download and 1400mb upload.

my wifi laptop card is intel wifi 6E killer 1675i(Ax211). 

so please if it is possible, send me the firmware..

thank you

Message 102 of 707
plemans
Guru

Re: NETGEAR Nighthawk AX12 RAX120 BETA FIRMWARE REQUEST

A couple things. 

1. the built in speedtest on the router isn't the most accurate. we usually don't even recommend it over 500mbps because it rarely picks the best server

2. wifi isn't going to max out your connection. Or even get close. Plus AX speeds drop off quickly with distance. Not sure what link speed you're getting but actual throughput tends to be around 55-65% of what your link speed is. I've got the AX210 and on my routers, i  get about the same speed as you do from wireless. 

Message 103 of 707
lastate88
Aspirant

Please send me the beta firmware.
Message 104 of 707
lastate88
Aspirant

Hello. I want to get beta firmware. Could you send me the beta firmware with my e-mail, lastatehong@outlook.com ?
Message 105 of 707
tr4sh80
Apprentice

May I please get access to the latest beta firmware for my RAX120 router? I too am plagued by constant random reboots.
Message 106 of 707
beachmiles
Apprentice

I haven't heard of any beta firmware actually fixing the problem. I thought I had it fixed when I changed my UPS to pure sine wave but the random reboots ending coming back (although less often). Only disabling the 2.4ghz WMM QOS makes this router fairly stable at the expense of much slower dummed down 2.4ghz wifi.
Message 107 of 707
SkippyNL
Guide

Message 108 of 707
tr4sh80
Apprentice

Not looking for this firmware. Am looking for the latest *Beta" firmware to see if it improves the constant random rebooting issue.
Message 109 of 707
SkippyNL
Guide

Hi Support/ Netgear / Fellow user,

Before this update (this update/ latest version V1.2.3.28) I experienced random reboots of the router, clearing all logs and having to restart for about 5 minutes.

When the last update came out (V1.2.3.28), I experienced no issues until about 3 weeks.

After that, I seem to experience the problem when (certain) data-transfer is done.

I noticed it when:

I uploaded a file of +/- 3gb and

Friends coming over / devices connecting to the router + watching YouTube on TV

It seems to be that's a build-in safe-the-hardware protocol for whatever reason but, i agree with some posters that it seems to occur when the router is more busy, therefor maybe  a caching error/ overload, memory error/ overload or CPU  error/ overload. And / or could it be storage related?

Not trying to 'teach you a lesson' so to speak, it's just really annoying and it wasn't the cheapest router out there. That combined with some urgency for a stable connection is a real necessity at times.

Best regards,

Skipp

Message 110 of 707
tr4sh80
Apprentice

Yes, been having this reboot issue since purchasing this very expensive router. I work from home so you can imagine how annoying it is when I'm constantly being disconnected during zoom calls etc. Netgear needs to resolve this soon. There is no excuse for them not to fix this issue on such an expensive supposedly powerful router.
Message 111 of 707
SkippyNL
Guide

Ah, I see. Well, i thought this was the latest, based on the beta, but ofc. i'm expecting they're still busy working on the fix and thus a new beta release.

Please let me know if you do find it

Message 112 of 707
Merose
Tutor

Same here.  Constant random reboots since purchasing about 3 week ago.  My previous R8000P never did this.

Message 113 of 707
CHILLER_GOD
Aspirant

Hi, was interested in the firmware please. Thank you for your time.
jamesm@pueblo-mechanical.com
Message 114 of 707
Peter5150
Aspirant

Purchased the RAX120 in early May. The Wi-Fi router worked flawlessly for a few days then about 10 days into ownership of the RAX120 it started random reboots.

I followed all the advice in this community on this issue , disabled VMM for 2.4 GHz, purchase a pure wave surge suppressor. Non of these resolved the issue.

I contacted Netgear support and they were useless in helping.

I finally, returned the RAX120 got my $ back and then purchased a different Wi-Fi router.

It is shameful how NETGEAR denies a major defect with this model Wi-Fi router. There should be a recall.

Good luck everyone with your troubleshooting on this issue. Hope one day NETGEAR can resolve it. As for me I paid too much $ to mess around with a defective product.
Message 115 of 707
tr4sh80
Apprentice

I have solved the issue. It's 100% heat related. I went to the router debug page and set the exhaust fan to "Always On." I then placed the router on top of a 140mm computer case fan for added cooling. 6 days now without a single reboot and router now stays cool.
Message 116 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

Interesting find. 

Message 117 of 707
beachmiles
Apprentice

Is 6 days of uptime the longest you've had? If so that's not going to tell you much.

Ive thought I had it fixed before with a clean UPS power supply with like 19 days of uptime. But then I will get a reboot like once every 4 days generally always when I am doing something network intensive like streaming 4k video. Then it will stay up for another ~14 days, so its hard to tell if you really have a fix.

But I do know that with 2.4Ghz WMM ENABLED and a NON pure sine wave power supply the random reboots happen much more often for me at a rate of around ~8 times per day which is way worse.

The firmware def has a bug which needs to be fixed.

Message 118 of 707
tr4sh80
Apprentice

All I know is the thing was running hot. Ever since keeping it cool no issues. I know a heat dissipation issue when I see one. It was curious that the exhaust fan never seemed to come on regardless of it being obviously too hot. That I believe is a firmware issue. So until they fix it, setting fan to Always on and setting the router on top of an fan acting as an air intake seems to be doing the job.
Message 119 of 707
DannyLin
Apprentice

Only 6 days, and is this the real reason?
I doubt the heating issue in the beginning too. But I think it could be the firmware issue that needed to be fixed.

For the general design, if the machine is overheated, the CPU will usually lower its frequency to decrease the temperature.

Because it’s a soft reboot, and the machine can be working after the reboot. I guess the firmware triggers the soft-reboot under specific conditions.
Message 120 of 707
ekso
Tutor

Not only the constant reboot is breaking the viability of using this router, but V1.2.3.28 has been the latest official firmware update since when? November/December 2021? Other routers have been constantly getting updates, how many 0-day are RAX120 users being exposed just because this issue is not addressed?

I also doubt it's a temperature issue. I live in Sweden in a very stable temperature controlled apartment and I've seen the router reboot at 2am hours after most electronics in the house have been turned off by smart plugs.

Message 121 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

So has anyone else noticed there router running hot or abnormally warm in between these reboots? 

Message 122 of 707
Kidhack
Star

I put a USB laptop stand with fans under mine and it didn't solve anything. It's also connected to UPC. It's a POS that Netgear won't refund or fix. 

Message 123 of 707
tr4sh80
Apprentice

As I said, I went to the router debug page as well and set the exhaust fan on the top to "always on." This combined with the 140mm fan underneath it has done the trick for me. Going on almost 2 weeks now solid.
Message 124 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RAX120v2 keeps randomly restarting

Have you tried enabling the internal fan?

Also beta is here for any V2s:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-with-WiFi-6-AX-and/New-RAX120-RAX120v2-Firmware-Version-1... 

@r3fl3ct wrote:

Same problem here V1.2.3.28.

sounds like we need to push for A Class-Action lawsuit!

Message 125 of 707
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7