× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX120 V2 Constant Random Reboots

muniz_ri
Apprentice

@_NDS_ 

Correct, I was using the original power adapter with my RAX120V2 and yes, I am in the U.S.

I have now plugged in the new adapter and will go back to slowly adding devices to the 5GHz network to see if I can reliably cause a reboot.

Message 326 of 707
muniz_ri
Apprentice

The router rebooted twice this morning within one hour and in the middle of a video conference call.

I give up and have ordered a new TP Link AXE5400. Hope there is a fix down the road so that I can sell the RAX120 and recover some of the money that I have spent. Good luck everyone.

Message 327 of 707
DH27
Tutor

Same for me, I gave up on the RAX120 after a week of usage. I bought the RAX200 instead which has worked without flaw for the past three weeks. Compared to the RAX120, I can recommend the RAX200 wholeheartedly as I have not had a single reboot throughout this timeframe. Only downside is that the wifi range is a tiny bit smaller than the one of the RAX120.

Message 328 of 707
muniz_ri
Apprentice

@DH27 

Thank you for that recommendation and glad to hear that the RAX200 has been working well. As for me, I am going to completely steer clear of Netgear based on their apparent lack of customer support and service. 

Message 329 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you still have your 120v2? 

If so what FW version is loaded on it? You try the Beta? 

What model power adapter do you have with yours? 

@DH27 wrote:

Same for me, I gave up on the RAX120 after a week of usage. I bought the RAX200 instead which has worked without flaw for the past three weeks. Compared to the RAX120, I can recommend the RAX200 wholeheartedly as I have not had a single reboot throughout this timeframe. Only downside is that the wifi range is a tiny bit smaller than the one of the RAX120.

Message 330 of 707
DH27
Tutor

Unfortunately not, I had to send it back to Amazon for a refund. I didn't try the beta, but I had the power adapter ADS-65MIA-19 with the European plug extension. The power adapter didn't seem to be the root of the problem for me.

Message 331 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, thanks for letting us know. Ya seems to bet more then just the power adapter. 

Message 332 of 707
_NDS_
Apprentice

@muniz_ri 

Thank you for updating us on your experience with the new firmware in relation to the reandom reboots.

@FURRYe38 

I had the router running for 24 hours without a reboot yesterday, when I was not working and could afford a random reboot. While the router has not rebooted on me, my impression was that the issue of variable internet connection speeds has resurfaced in this new firmware.

The clients - both wired and wireless were seemingly taking more time than usual to load webpages, photos and videos.

I, therefore, followed the same path as muniz_ri and packed the router into its box, until its fixed to the point that I won't feel ashamed of myself to sell it on. Clearly the feeling that the Netgear company does not seem to share.

Message 333 of 707
febox
Initiate

Nighthawk® AX12 RAX120v2
Firmware V1.2.8.40

Still rebooting twice a day randomly.
The router is warm but not super hot when it reboots - so it doesn't seem like an overheating problem.

Also, it's impossible to check what happened in the log since it's flushed after every reboot.

What's next? Should I return the router?
Message 334 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

Others reported disabling WMM on the 2.4Ghz radio or enabling the thermal fan all the time on the routers debug page. 

NG is aware of this and still investigating it. No idea on when a fix will be forthcoming. 

If nothing seems to stop the reboots, I would return the unit and find a RAX200 or 500. My 500 doesn't do this. 200 users haven't reported any of these reboots either. 

@febox wrote:
Nighthawk® AX12 RAX120v2
Firmware V1.2.8.40

Still rebooting twice a day randomly.
The router is warm but not super hot when it reboots - so it doesn't seem like an overheating problem.

Also, it's impossible to check what happened in the log since it's flushed after every reboot.

What's next? Should I return the router?

Message 335 of 707
dude8370
Star

Same here. Reboots without warning with new firmware. Factory reset and everything done as well. Factory power adapter as well. I'm thinking of opening this up and checking solder joints as replacement is close to impossible. And I've moved on to the archer ax11000.
Message 336 of 707
Kubac78
Tutor

New firmware didn't change anything. The router is still randomly reboots. 

Message 337 of 707
Kubac78
Tutor

Disabling WMM, Fan always ON or even cooling pad - nothing helps. Router is still rebooting. Mostly while I watching TV online (Netflix, Viaplay). Newer firmware installed. 

Message 338 of 707

Updated the firmware to latest, reset router via reset button. Still reboots, in fact it seems worse than the last firmware. After 4 months I am also giving up. Chalking it up as a loss and going to find something else. Too bad as it's great between the reboots but way too frustrating.

Message 339 of 707
_NDS_
Apprentice

@DarrenM 

From the posts overe the last few days it is clear that the issue of the RAX120V2 random reboots is NOT resolved even with the newest firmware.

Isn't it time to remove the "resolved" marker from this thread?

Otherwise, the unlucky new owners would have to thread through 11+ pages of posts in hope for a solution that does not exist.

Message 340 of 707
dude8370
Star

To whomever is trying to figure this router out, I had a minute to use this router, and for fun, re-loaded the new firmware, factory reset the router, original power brick. Router was up and running.  Then as I kept adding devices, still good. It was when for lack of a better term started to "Kick the routers butt" in load. I hooked up my NAS and just started transferring files to load the CPU. It started the magic reboots we're all trying to figure out. For my v2 unit, loading the thing hard causes it to reboot. The LOGs are reset too when this happens. So, i'm at a loss. this close to opening it up and checking internals (solder joints, thermals etc.)

Message 341 of 707
beachmiles
Apprentice

The new firmware did not fix my reboots either, got 4 good days in a row followed by 2 random reboots within a span of a out 30 minutes while streaming the rings of power. I then isolated a very insane bug while developing an asynchronous web server on a esp32 Arduino board connecting to the 2.4ghz wifi. The web server only partially worked on this Netgear routers 2.4ghz connection only serving about 25% of the elements on a multi tabbed script ed web page. I swapped back to my old Netgear AC router and the web page worked flawlessly. I had disabled all AX settings on the 2.4ghz wifi and even dropped it's capability down to 54Mpbs mode on the RAX120v2 but that didn't help. So I officially have thrown in the towel on this POS, the worst and most expensive router I've ever purchased. Don't think I will be buying another Netgear product anytime soon.

Here is the esp32 GUI library that I used that had problems working with the RAX120v2. Since many smart home devices use the esp32 chip or once like it I'm guessing having a lot of smart devices with a similar connection issue for this yet to fixed bug in the 2.4ghz wifi connection on the rax120 could be a cause for the reboots. Netgear, please update your regression and stress testing on your products before releasing them. Routers should be able to run without a random reboot for months not 20 minutes or a 48 hours.

Message 342 of 707
Bladestorm
Star

Firmware update 1.2.8.40 and still getting Random reboots with the RAX120 router. Factory reset and disable the wmm for 2.4 and still reboot persists.

Message 343 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

@beachmiles @Bladestorm Have you tried enabling Thermal Fan under debug page and or put a laptop cooler fan under the router? Others reported in this thread that this helped stave off these reboots. 

We've make NG aware of this and they are working on it. 

Message 344 of 707
Bladestorm
Star

tried to enable but after reboot it disables again. wish it would stay on too  🙂

Adding: i have even tried hanging on wall which was under AC vent. Then tried to place on shelf and elevated router so had extra space for air and still same issues.

Message 345 of 707
Bladestorm
Star

My settings with new firmware when it rebooted about and hour and a half later. As you see load is not bad. Really do not think this is thermal issue.Router setting when it rebooted.png

Message 346 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

What was going on when your RAX rebooted? 

What was going on when you took this screen capture of the debug page? 

What all devices do you have connected? 

Does the LEDs on top of the router show any AMBER indications when this happens? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

@Bladestorm 

Message 347 of 707
Bladestorm
Star

--Surfing web for answers to this issue.  No other network connection

--Was checking load after pervious reboot that was about an hour and half ago.

--At the time it was my desktop and laptop, And TV but was not streaming

Does the LEDs on top of the router show any AMBER indications when this happens? 

-- No it looks like they all go out and almost like the plug was pulled.

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

--Spectrum, 1gig      Modem: Hitron Spectrum Cable Modem ES2251 DOCSIS3.1 2.5G eMTA

--Sad to say yes was first thing I tried.   

Just note spent almost 300.00 on a useless paper weight at this time is getting old very fast.

Message 348 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

@Bladestorm wrote:

--Surfing web for answers to this issue.  No other network connection

--Was checking load after pervious reboot that was about an hour and half ago.

--At the time it was my desktop and laptop, And TV but was not streaming

Does the top of the router feel extra warm when this happens? 

--Spectrum, 1gig      Modem: Hitron Spectrum Cable Modem ES2251 DOCSIS3.1 2.5G eMTA

Does this modem have a 2.5Gb WAN port? 

--Sad to say yes was first thing I tried.   

Just note spent almost 300.00 on a useless paper weight at this time is getting old very fast. 

I know. I see everyone's frustrations. Trying to get NG as mush information as possible. 

Message 349 of 707
Bladestorm
Star

Does the top of the router feel extra warm when this happens? 

---Not sure what extra warm is to the normal standards to me no does not

Does this modem have a 2.5Gb WAN port? 

--Yes

Message 350 of 707
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7