× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX120 V2 Constant Random Reboots

febox
Initiate

Then that's it? Will there be no further investigation or fixes from Netgear?

I guess my question is: is there still hope or that's it?

I find it absurd that this issue is still marked as resolved - it shows that Netgear does not care. "Just get a RAX200" is not an answer - it's an investment of +200 euros where I live. Would you give me a free RAX200 in exchange for my RAX120v2, Netgear? If not, then this is not an option.

FURRYe38 asked me to install new firmware with debug options, but I wasn't able to get to it yet. Also, the lack of contact from someone at Netgear is quite disconcerting. This is my first time buying a Netgear product and I couldn't be more dissatisfied with the experience.

Today it's pretty cold in my house (12 degrees C) and my router has restarted 3 times in 30 minutes - when it happened the unit was not hot at all. I was not streaming any kind of video and I was not in a video meeting.

Message 376 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

So this is till under investigation at NG. Debug logging we asked about would be helpful in there investigation. 

Not every mfr has to comment on problems seen on there products. If your not happy with the 120 or willing to help capture logs, then I recommend you return the 120 and find something else. 

Message 377 of 707
muniz_ri
Apprentice

@Bladestorm 

@dude8370

@_NDS_ 

@Tiberius675a 

@Kubac78 

@febox  

I see that the threads re: the RAX120v2 random reboots are closed and no longer allowing replies. So I will post the following in this thread...

I turned down the 2.4GHz transmit power to 25% and the 5GHz transmit power to 50% and the router has not rebooted for the past two days. Even at 25% transmit power the 2.4GHz band signal strength is excellent. At 50% transmit power the 5GHz band signal strength remains adequate with no noticeable drop in speed so all good so far.

Fingers crossed this approach turns out to be a viable workaround.

Message 378 of 707
stolnsol
Star

Still working for you?
Message 379 of 707
muniz_ri
Apprentice

@stolnsol 

Nope. Had a nice run the past few days but had a reboot this afternoon.

Message 380 of 707
Killhippie
Prodigy

I have retired my V1 I got in late 2019, I beta tested the original which was even bigger (you can fit the current RAX120 inside the space for the wings and body on the beta RAX120 hardware), anyway I digress the RAXV120 (V1) never once had this reboot issue issue, and the only main difference is the chipset which has the same features and is only a small bump in numbers , I wonder if its a bad batch of silicon maybe? Just throwing out ideas, as only Netgear know the true number of complaints and forums only show those who have issues of course. Nobody comes online to say 'all working well' do they.

With all the issues recently with getting new SoC's the RAX120v2 should have been capable of UL and DL OFDMA but that was never added with the updated Hawkeye, it is identical in specs to the the version 1 in pretty much every other way except the original IPQ8074 was a 2Ghz CPU not 2.2 and didnt have WPA3, its almost like this was a customised chip for Netgear. In the UK it comes (or did) with a massive power brick, mine for the RAXE500 is the same size (huge) Earlier RAX120 v1's had coil whine until you turned on the router weirdly enough. My PSU for the RAX120 version 1 is a 'ADS-65MIA-19 19060-H' if that helps anyone. 

Message 381 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the brand and model# of the ISP modem or ONT your using with the RAX? 

@muniz_ri wrote:

Nope. Had a nice run the past few days but had a reboot this afternoon.

Message 382 of 707
muniz_ri
Apprentice

@Killhippie 

It's very possible that the reboots could be caused by a hardware issue and that would be bad news for those of us still hoping for a solution.

Message 383 of 707

Hey all, I received the RMA replacement. Fully expecting to have the same reboot issue. I was quite surprised and pleased when after unit booted and I entered setup with the browser to see I had been sent a v1 unit.

Set it up with my wifi network names and passwords. Been up for just 4 days now with no reboots.

I have seen a lot of negative comments on here regarding the support and I will say I was skeptical but I was just patient, replied with the information they requested and performed every step that asked me to take.Took about a week of going back and forth(mostly because I was busy with work and couldn't respond for a few days). I have to say I am pleased with how they handled the issue and the outcome.

Also I was expecting a brown box replacement but this appeared to be a new unit in full retail packaging including shrink wrap with all accessories. Also the power supply is the same as I received with the v2 that I returned.

Message 384 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the first 3 characters of the routers serial number? 

@Tiberius675a wrote:

Hey all, I received the RMA replacement. Fully expecting to have the same reboot issue. I was quite surprised and pleased when after unit booted and I entered setup with the browser to see I had been sent a v1 unit.

Set it up with my wifi network names and passwords. Been up for just 4 days now with no reboots.

I have seen a lot of negative comments on here regarding the support and I will say I was skeptical but I was just patient, replied with the information they requested and performed every step that asked me to take.Took about a week of going back and forth(mostly because I was busy with work and couldn't respond for a few days). I have to say I am pleased with how they handled the issue and the outcome.

Also I was expecting a brown box replacement but this appeared to be a new unit in full retail packaging including shrink wrap with all accessories. Also the power supply is the same as I received with the v2 that I returned.

Message 385 of 707

v1 is 5VE

v2 was 6JY

Message 386 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

Thank you. Yes, There are 3 sets of SNs for v2s, all others are v1s.

Thanks for confirming. 

@Tiberius675a wrote:

v1 is 5VE

v2 was 6JY

Message 387 of 707
_NDS_
Apprentice

Looks like another month down the line and still no resolution from NG on the random reboot issue. Those in the USA with the router within warranty - have your requested hardware support to exchange for RAX120V1?

Message 388 of 707
dude8370
Star

I was inspired to finally give do an RMA for my paperweight v2. Behold, like others I received a brand spanking new v1 unit. Set it up just like the v2 and 2 days no drops so far. 

Couple of Notes. Power supply units are IDENTICAL. same model number and specs. Routers are also identical in size and shape, actually v1 seems a touch heavier. Left photos is the v1 and right photos v2. I'm hopeful the stability of the v1 will behave like the other v1 in our family. 5.png6.png3.png4.png

Message 389 of 707
muniz_ri
Apprentice

How long is the warranty period? I purchased mine in April 2022.

Message 390 of 707
dude8370
Star

For me, It was 1 year after activation. You Should Be Good. Took about 6 days from inquiry to router replacement  at my door. 

Message 391 of 707
Kidhack
Star

Sadly this has got to be the most popular topic on the Netgear forum.

BTW it just crashed again. No WiFi, no internet, suck in hell.
Message 392 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to contact NG support to see if they can help you. Seems that users are getting replacements from NG.

@Kidhack wrote:
Sadly this has got to be the most popular topic on the Netgear forum.

BTW it just crashed again. No WiFi, no internet, suck in hell.

Message 393 of 707
dude8370
Star

Happy to report the replacement router has been rock solid for 2 weeks, 0 reboots no matter what is thrown at it. 

Message 394 of 707

Same here. Looked last night. Uptime 18 plus days.
Message 395 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

@Tiberius675a @dude8370 And those are V1s? 

Message 396 of 707

Yes mine is a V1
Message 397 of 707
dude8370
Star

Yep! It is a V1, my former post shows the replacement and the original V2 side-by-side. This is an incredible router now that I have had a chance to enjoy it as a stable unit. Wonderful wonderful. Can't say enough good things. 

Message 398 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

ANY one in this thread still have a v2 router with stock power adapter that came with the router? 

Please post here or let me know via PM. 

Message 399 of 707
Kidhack
Star

Were we supposed to replace the power?

Message 400 of 707
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7