× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX120 V2 Constant Random Reboots

FURRYe38
Guru

No. 

Message 401 of 707
muniz_ri
Apprentice

@dude8370 

I'm jealous and need to call Netgear to start the return process.

Message 402 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

@muniz_ri 

Do you still have your v2? 

Message 403 of 707
muniz_ri
Apprentice

I do but hopefully not for much longer.

Message 404 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

OK. 

Message 405 of 707
ghristov
Tutor

I bought RAX120v2 two weeks ago. It was restarting on random basis from the very beginning. Somedays several times daily, somedays several dozen times dally. I have tried everything described here, but none of that helped me.

My observations during restarts:

• It is not adapter issue. I'm living in Europe and have an European adapter version, but the router is still restarting.
  • It is not a heat issue. Yes the sensor shows NaN, but it is just a problem in the UI. I started 4K YouTube videos on eight devices in parallel and the router's fan was working during the load. The temperature sensor was OK and the router was not too hot. Actually the processor load was ~40%.
  • It is not a settings issue. I've tried them all, without any success.

Even after one hour playing of eight parallel 4K YouTube videos the router was pretty stable. Then I moved to another room in my home, returned after 15 minutes and the router was restarting ...

That was my experience last two weeks. Now the good news from the last several days. I'm using ESET Smart security. Sometimes I got notification for a DoS attack from one specific device. It was my home security camera which has motion detection. Then I realised that the router is detecting the same false DoS attack and it cause the restarts. Almost every time when I move from one room to another, the camera triggers false DoS attack and restarts the router. I have detached the camera and now the router is running smoothly without restarting itself. I'm not using any cool pad and returned all my previous settings. I'm using Smart Connect, WMM and even 160MHz band. Everything is perfectly stable. The problem was in my camera. It can be connected with LAN cable or using WiFi, but seems that both are working in parallel. In my case the camera had two IP addresses, one for the LAN port and one for the WiFi. I decided to reset it and connect it again, but using WiFi connection only. I refreshed the router DHCP table and connected the camera. Now everything is running without any issues even with the camera. Actually the router is perfect when it is stable. ESET Smart Security doesn't report DoS attacks as well.

All of you, who experience such kind of router restarts, should check for DoS attack in the router's log or in the your security software log. If you have such
kind of attacks, find the device which is causing them and disconnect it from the router. Then check the router stability. It is pretty common issue regarding NG routers to restart because of false DoS attack. You can try to reset the problematic device and connect it again to the router. In my case it was working solution.

Currently, the router is working almost two full days without a single restart for the first time in two weeks.

Message 406 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is loaded on the router?

Would you post the first 3 characters of the serial number seen on the bottom sticker please.

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

@ghristov 

Message 407 of 707
ghristov
Tutor

FW version - 1.2.8.40

SN first 3 chars - 6K0

Before RAX120, I used the same LAN cable and ISP modem with Tri-Band Linksys 8300 router without any issues.

The problem was with those false DoS attacks caused by the camera. The same camera was working OK with my previous router mentioned above.

@FURRYe38 

Message 408 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for the info.

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

@ghristov wrote:

FW version - 1.2.8.40

SN first 3 chars - 6K0

Before RAX120, I used the same LAN cable and ISP modem with Tri-Band Linksys 8300 router without any issues.

The problem was with those false DoS attacks caused by the camera. The same camera was working OK with my previous router mentioned above.

Message 409 of 707
mlm44
Star

Count me in too.

I got a RAX120v2 just over a month ago and am suffering from random reboots.

FW V1.2.3.28

SN 6JY

Modem is Motorola MB8611 and it's talking to the router at 2.5Gbps

It rarely reboots more than once a day, and usually will run for days on end between reboots, at one point it had been up for 16 days. The last time it rebooted was exactly when I tried to start a video stream. But it is not reproduceable or predictable; it can happen at any time. I disabled WMM on the 2.5G radio yesterday because someone suggested it here but I have no idea if that will make a difference. It has been up for two days since the last glitch.

I've read through this entire thread and its clear to me that there is no solution for this product other than to live with it or to replace it. I was using a NG AC1750 for years and it was solid. I only got the RAX120 for the faster and better WiFi. I was able to ditch my WiFi extender because the signal is so good, so I'm not keen on plugging the AC1750 back in but I can if I have to.

I just think it's hardware. Otherwise there would be a solution by now. The Motorola modem also reboots for no reason every few weeks. I hear the new iPhone 14 pro max also reboots for no reason when it is on the charger. Not everyone is affected by any of these issues. So maybe some of the chips are junk, they are running too close to manufacturing tolerance. Who knows. I'll keep an eye out here for the time being if a real solution magically appears.

Message 410 of 707
mlm44
Star

FWIW my router reports tons of DoS attacks but that doesn't seem to correlate to the reboots. I presume these fake warnings are just push notifications to our phones and devices, or other background stuff.

Message 411 of 707
ghristov
Tutor

ISP - The Bonds SAM WiFi Router, P/N SAM-4F1F-TT-W-A1.
@FURRYe38 wrote:

Thanks for the info.

Message 412 of 707
ghristov
Tutor

Today I have started again my test with multiple 4K YouTube videos using several 802.11n, 802.11ac and 802.11ax devices working on 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz band in parallel. Everything was stable for many hours until ... I connected an old 2.4GHz 802.11b/g laptop playing YouTube video and the router restarted itself. It is not only my security camera which is causing restarts. It seems that all my devices that use 802.11 b/g standard for streaming are restarting the router. I have multiple security cameras and one laptop using 802.11 b/g. I have a streaming doorbell as well, but it use 2.4 GHz 802.11n standard and it is working pretty stable.

Conclusion: Every time in my tests when I use 802.11 b/g device for streaming the router restarts itself. If I use 802.11n/ac/ax device, regardless on 2.4 GHz or 5GHz band, the router is perfectly stable. Will continue with my observations ...

Message 413 of 707
dude8370
Star

For what it's worth when i had my V2, i disconnected ALL devices and just had one firestick Max 4k (AX) and it would reboot (sometimes days without, sometimes 12 in a day type thing.) Tried my laptop (AC) with nothing else connected....same result. Tried switch SSID names as well to no avail.
Message 414 of 707
muniz_ri
Apprentice

@ghristov 

I also did some exhaustive trial and error with no success. It turned out to be a huge waste of time.

However it seems that Netgear may have FINALLY given the problem the attention that it required and possibly fixed the issue. Reach out to @FURRYe38 for details.

Message 415 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem. https://kb.netgear.com/25891/DMZ-on-NETGEAR-routers
https://kb.netgear.com/24086/How-do-I-set-up-a-default-DMZ-server-on-my-Nighthawk-router
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the NG router to the modem, LAN to LAN configure AP mode on the NG router.

Try option #2...

@ghristov wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Thanks for the info.

Message 416 of 707
ghristov
Tutor

Thanks for the info. WiFi on the ISP router is disabled from the very beginning. The RAX120 and ISP are connected LAN to LAN. I've already asked my provider to bridge the port, without any success. Will try to contact him again. Anyway, I've already tried option 3 - NG router in AP mode, but RAX120 is still restarting itself.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem. https://kb.netgear.com/25891/DMZ-on-NETGEAR-routers
https://kb.netgear.com/24086/How-do-I-set-up-a-default-DMZ-server-on-my-Nighthawk-router
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the NG router to the modem, LAN to LAN configure AP mode on the NG router.

Try option #2...

@ghristov wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Thanks for the info.

Message 417 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

Try option #2 with the ISP modem if they can't get it bridged. 

@ghristov wrote:

Thanks for the info. WiFi on the ISP router is disabled from the very beginning. The RAX120 and ISP are connected LAN to LAN. I've already asked my provider to bridge the port, without any success. Will try to contact him again. Anyway, I've already tried option 3 - NG router in AP mode, but RAX120 is still restarting itself.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Couple of options,

Try option #2...

@ghristov wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Thanks for the info.

Message 418 of 707
ghristov
Tutor

Final test before working from home next week. Put a cheap cool pad with 140mm fan under the RAX120 and even my old 2.4GHz b/g devices started working(streaming video) without any restart. Seems that the problem is more complex. Probably combination between 2.4 GHz band and heat issues. I can confirm temporary solution described here in the thread. You need to use additional cooling pad under the router. It doesn't have to be expensive one. Waiting for an official fix from NG, because I really need a stable router. The speed is great, the range is fantastic, but its stability issues drive me crazy.

Message 419 of 707
ghristov
Tutor

Talked again with my ISP. Their device doesn't support option #1 (bridge mode), but they offered me a much better option #0 🙂 I detached ISP device and they set my RAX120 MAC address in their system. I updated router's IP, mask, gateway, DNS settings and bridged one of my LAN ports for IPTV. Currently my router is working as a standalone device connected directly to the internet.

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Try option #2 with the ISP modem if they can't get it bridged. 

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Couple of options,

Message 420 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

Awesome. Lets give it 3 days or this coming week and see if you can get 3 days of solid uptime. 

Message 421 of 707
_NDS_
Apprentice

Just bumping this thread up to see how the fix is being progressed at Netgear with this not fit for purpose creation of theirs - RAX120V2.

Message 422 of 707
muniz_ri
Apprentice

They finally fixed it. Check with furrye. Router has been rock solid for one week.
Message 423 of 707
bgnome
Tutor

Just registered to get in on this fix.  Do you mind hooking me up, @FURRYe38 ?  Thanks!

Message 424 of 707
tr4sh80
Apprentice

Hey all, I've been using the latest RC beta firmware provided to me by @DarrenM from Netgear and router has been solid for over 5 days now without a random reboot. I believe Netgear engineers have found and corrected the issue. Look out for this fix in next official firmware release. Attached is a photo of my status screen so you can see. Hopefully this router will kick as much as as it was made to soon!
Message 425 of 707
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7