× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX120 V2 Constant Random Reboots

FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

What's the first 3 characters of the routers serial number that you have please? 

@davidrbill wrote:

I have been battling this since purchasing as well.  Netgear requested I update to the .40 firmware and do a factory reset afterwards, but it did not resolve the issue.  They also requested I change the DNS server addresses to static with relevant addresses, and it also did not resolve the issue.

Message 476 of 707
BaudNews
Initiate

I've owned this router for 8 months now and have always had the random reboot issue through all the firmware versions. I sent a private message to DarrenM to request the beta/release candidate firmware and he graciously sent it to me last week for me to test and provide feedback.

Since applying the new firmware, I have nearly 5 days of continuous uptime without a single reboot. Before the update I was getting random reboots within 24 hours and never made it to 48 hours of continuous uptime. My router is located in a closet that stays warm (~90F ambient) and this heat is having zero impact on the router performance with no cooling accessories required. Everything is stock original including the power adapter and I'm even maximizing the throughput using a 5Gbps uplink.

I think the Netgear engineering team has really solved the issue with this firmware and hopefully they will be able to give it a GA release very soon if others are reporting the same successes without issues.

Netgear RAX120v2 Stats.jpg

Message 477 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it's working. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...

I recommend placing a USB Laptop cooler is recommended under the router. Keeps the router cooler and helps avoid heat damage over time.

Enjoy. 📡

@BaudNews 

Message 478 of 707
GMCbroMAN
Aspirant

Same issues, roughly same amount of time owned. And now I too have updated with Beta Firmware and 1st reboot was about 3 days after update, it was around 12pm which if that's the case doesn't truly affect me and I can definitely rest a little easier if it keeps it up. This seems to be the closest thing to a fix yet
Keep it up guys and I may just be able to stay on the NG Team.
Message 479 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

What is the first 3 characters of the routers serial number please. 

Did you factory reset the router and setup from scratch with out using any saved config backups from file? 

Also change the default DHCP IP address pool range to .100 to .200. 

Others have seen long past 3 days with out reboots. So you maybe seeing something else that's causing problems...Need to narrow it down more. 

What devices do you have all connected?

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

How is Basic and Advanced Wireless settings configured? 

@GMCbroMAN wrote:
Same issues, roughly same amount of time owned. And now I too have updated with Beta Firmware and 1st reboot was about 3 days after update, it was around 12pm which if that's the case doesn't truly affect me and I can definitely rest a little easier if it keeps it up. This seems to be the closest thing to a fix yet
Keep it up guys and I may just be able to stay on the NG Team.

Message 480 of 707
blakey84
Guide

16 days on beta and counting…
Message 481 of 707
mlm44
Star

Update: I have only had one unexpected reboot since installing the beta. The problem might be related to an Ethernet port on one of my PCs. I swapped out the RAX120 with my old router and could not reproduce the problem there, so something is still going on with the RAX120 but other than that it has been stable on the beta. Now on 12+ days after an initial 11+ days (so just one reboot over the past 23 days). Hoping the general release comes out soon to fix the other issues with the stats page not loading.

Message 482 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

What's the ethernet brand and model#? Be sure drivers are up to date for that adapter. Might try swapping in a different adapter if you feel this could be an issue here. 

@mlm44 wrote:

Update: I have only had one unexpected reboot since installing the beta. The problem might be related to an Ethernet port on one of my PCs. I swapped out the RAX120 with my old router and could not reproduce the problem there, so something is still going on with the RAX120 but other than that it has been stable on the beta. Now on 12+ days after an initial 11+ days (so just one reboot over the past 23 days). Hoping the general release comes out soon to fix the other issues with the stats page not loading.

Message 483 of 707
David22066
Aspirant

Re: RAX120v2 keeps randomly restarting

I tried using a laptop cooling pad with a fan. It didn't stop the problem but it seems it speeds up the rebooting process so that the wifi is not down as long. But I still have my router rebooting several times a day.

Message 484 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RAX120v2 keeps randomly restarting

What is the first 3 characters of your routers serial numbers please. 

Did you get ahold of the beta FW file for this yet? 

@David22066 wrote:

I tried using a laptop cooling pad with a fan. It didn't stop the problem but it seems it speeds up the rebooting process so that the wifi is not down as long. But I still have my router rebooting several times a day.

Message 485 of 707
mlm44
Star

It appears to be a hardware issue. Wiggling the connector in the jack causes the pins to short or open, which interrupts network traffic. Drivers are up to date.

The adapter is soldered to the motherboard, so no chance to change it out. It is a pint sized PC.

My point is that my old router doesn't seem to care, but the new one is more sensitive. I will find a way to resolve the PC issue separately. Otherwise the router has been fine on the beta.

Message 486 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Maybe the RAX is more sensitive. 

So no adding of any kind of PCI card? 

Does this PC have a USB 3.0 port by chance? If so, I would get you a USB to ethernet adapter, then you can stop using that onboard LAN port. I would avoid using it if it's shorting like that. 

@mlm44 wrote:

It appears to be a hardware issue. Wiggling the connector in the jack causes the pins to short or open, which interrupts network traffic. Drivers are up to date.

The adapter is soldered to the motherboard, so no chance to change it out. It is a pint sized PC.

My point is that my old router doesn't seem to care, but the new one is more sensitive. I will find a way to resolve the PC issue separately. Otherwise the router has been fine on the beta.

Message 487 of 707
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello David

I have sent you a Pm.

Thanks

DarrenM

Message 488 of 707
David22066
Aspirant

What is a Pm?

Message 489 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

Private message. 

Message 490 of 707
sonoranscout
Aspirant

Just curious…is there a newer firmware available than 43RC?
Message 491 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

Nope. 

Message 492 of 707
Obsidian_
Aspirant

I need to get my hands on that firmware because mine is doing the exact same thing. I previously had the R7800 and it was perfect. It could easily handle all 60 of my connected devices without issue.

Needed to upgrade my router up at my cabin, so I bought this and boy has it been a mess. It's fast and puts out a strong 5Ghz signal but it gets overwhelmed all the time and the internet just starts chugging, dropping down to horrid speeds until it finally just lags out or reboots.

It's dropping all connections too, wired and wireless. I have a two APs in my house that are wired in and I use those for my 2.4Ghz smart home stuff, on separate SSIDs.

I turned off WMM and that helped a bit but still losing connection/rebooting 2 times a day. I finally just turned off the 2.4GHz all together but it didn't help.

Could you please point me in the direction of the beta firmware. I was mainly running Voxel's builds on my R7800 and now that all that's available for this is stock firmware I'm cringing at my purchase.
Message 493 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the first 3 characters of your RAX120 serial number?

@Obsidian_ wrote:
I need to get my hands on that firmware because mine is doing the exact same thing. I previously had the R7800 and it was perfect. It could easily handle all 60 of my connected devices without issue.

Needed to upgrade my router up at my cabin, so I bought this and boy has it been a mess. It's fast and puts out a strong 5Ghz signal but it gets overwhelmed all the time and the internet just starts chugging, dropping down to horrid speeds until it finally just lags out or reboots.

It's dropping all connections too, wired and wireless. I have a two APs in my house that are wired in and I use those for my 2.4Ghz smart home stuff, on separate SSIDs.

I turned off WMM and that helped a bit but still losing connection/rebooting 2 times a day. I finally just turned off the 2.4GHz all together but it didn't help.

Could you please point me in the direction of the beta firmware. I was mainly running Voxel's builds on my R7800 and now that all that's available for this is stock firmware I'm cringing at my purchase.

Message 494 of 707
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi,

Please, can I test this beta fw?, I just bought a rax120v2 and also have this random reboot issue, I opened a case on 2022-11-16 and they never mentioned anything about a beta fw, or be of any help what so ever.

Message 495 of 707
Scaff
Aspirant

hi

can anyone send me the beta pls

Message 496 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

@Retired_Member @Scaff 

What is the first 3 characters of the routers serial number please. 

Message 497 of 707
Retired_Member
Not applicable

6K0
Message 498 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

Thank you. 

Message 499 of 707
Alansin