× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX120 V2 Constant Random Reboots

FURRYe38
Guru

What is the first 3 characters of the routers serial number please. 

@Alansin wrote:

Can i get the firmware? same problem in late 2022

Message 501 of 707
trilist
Aspirant

hello,

how to get the beta firmware?

Message 502 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the first 3 characters of the routers serial number please. 

@trilist wrote:

hello,

how to get the beta firmware?

Message 503 of 707
davidrbill
Aspirant

Updated to the beta firmware.  I have seen 1 reboot after the upload (3 days running time now).  Will continue to monitor, but is night and day difference from previous .38 & .40 versions.

Message 504 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you factory reset and setup from scratch after loading the beta? Please do if you didn't. 

@davidrbill wrote:

Updated to the beta firmware.  I have seen 1 reboot after the upload (3 days running time now).  Will continue to monitor, but is night and day difference from previous .38 & .40 versions.

Message 505 of 707
Scaff
Aspirant

hi

the first 3 letters/numbers are

6K0

Message 506 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

Sent you a PM.

@Scaff wrote:

hi

the first 3 letters/numbers are

6K0

Message 507 of 707
daray
Aspirant

I have the same issue and the same 3 first letters. Can I please have a beta firmware as well ? 

Message 508 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the brand and model# of the ISP modem your using with the router? 

PM sent. 

@daray wrote:

I have the same issue and the same 3 first letters. Can I please have a beta firmware as well ? 

Message 509 of 707
daray
Aspirant

It is one of BT's Openreach modems, Huawei HG8240. 

Message 510 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

Thank you. 

Be sure your using good quality lan cable between the ONT and RAX router. CAT6 is recommended. 

@daray wrote:

It is one of BT's Openreach modems, Huawei HG8240. 

Message 511 of 707
daray
Aspirant

Actually, I got cat7 and cat8, so hopefully it is not an overkill 🙂

Message 512 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

Nothing less that CAT6 would be recommended. 😉

Message 513 of 707
David22066
Aspirant

My ISP modem is a Hitron Model EN2251. The modem does not go down when the router does. Also, when we lose an internet connection via the modem, the wireless does not go away, just the internet connection.

My problem is the router keeps rebooting several times a day. At the suggestion of another community member and other online comments, I put the router on top of a laptop cooler with a fan. So the modem is being cooled from below.

I also keep checking to make sure I have the latest firmware/software updates from Netgear.

I've owned routers for over 20 years for my businesses and home and have never had as many problems with a new router as this one. 

Message 514 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

Di you apply the beta FW that is to fix this reboot issue on the v2?

Did you factory reset and setup from scratch after loading the beta? Please do if you didn't. 

Others have already posted that this beta fixed this. 

Thanks for the info about your modem.

Be sure you using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is best. 

The mention of a USB laptop fan cooler is for the router, not the modem. 

@David22066 wrote:

My ISP modem is a Hitron Model EN2251. The modem does not go down when the router does. Also, when we lose an internet connection via the modem, the wireless does not go away, just the internet connection.

My problem is the router keeps rebooting several times a day. At the suggestion of another community member and other online comments, I put the router on top of a laptop cooler with a fan. So the modem is being cooled from below.

I also keep checking to make sure I have the latest firmware/software updates from Netgear.

I've owned routers for over 20 years for my businesses and home and have never had as many problems with a new router as this one. 

Message 515 of 707
blakey84
Guide

After what must have been 24-25 days I had my first reboot on the beta firmware today, after the router had processed over 1.8TB of data during that period from a very busy household.

To be fair, itd be unfair to assume it’s the same problem given the length of time that’s passed, a reboot on its own after 24 days doesn’t necessitate the same problem or cause.

Not that I’m accepting of any sudden reboot (especially while I’m mid supplier review meeting on Teams!!!) NG need to do a lot better with their firmware across the board.
Message 516 of 707
muniz_ri
Apprentice

All continues to be good here. My system uptime is showing as 31:11:52:09. 

Message 517 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

Would need to troubleshoot this to see if other contributing factors maybe causing a reboot other than FW not doing it's job. There are other factors that could cause a random reboot as well. 

Would need more details on your Router configuration, ISP configuration and what's all connected to the router. 

What was going on when you notice the reboot. 
What did you see on the top of the router in regards to LED behaviors during this event. 

Was ALL devices effected or just some? 

@blakey84 wrote:
After what must have been 24-25 days I had my first reboot on the beta firmware today, after the router had processed over 1.8TB of data during that period from a very busy household.

To be fair, itd be unfair to assume it’s the same problem given the length of time that’s passed, a reboot on its own after 24 days doesn’t necessitate the same problem or cause.

Not that I’m accepting of any sudden reboot (especially while I’m mid supplier review meeting on Teams!!!) NG need to do a lot better with their firmware across the board.

Message 518 of 707
mlm44
Star

A lot of troubleshooting going on here for what should be an inherently stable device.

My old NG router easily ran for six months at a time or longer on the same network configuration I have now.

The only change was the router. There is something about the RAX120 that isn't quite right.

But I will agree that it runs much better with the beta. 20 days and counting since the last reboot.

Message 519 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

And it still could be a stable router or something could be still causing a random reboot. Again, would need more details here. 

Users are seeing 30 days on some so seems like something is stable. 

Message 520 of 707

Which I acknowledged in my post, I don’t care enough about one random crash in a month to dive into all those details, best thing they could do is polish this beta release candidate off and get it published for the masses who’re struggling with this long standing issue.
Message 521 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 522 of 707
ebgp
Tutor

Hi, I am having the same issue on RAX120v2, V1.2.8.40 (and previous releases).  May I have a copy of the beta firmware to test please?  First 3 of SN are 6JY - thanks

Message 523 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

@ebgp wrote:

Hi, I am having the same issue on RAX120v2, V1.2.8.40 (and previous releases).  May I have a copy of the beta firmware to test please?  First 3 of SN are 6JY - thanks

Message 524 of 707
ebgp
Tutor

TYVM.  Connected to Arris SB6183 on xfinity service via cat6a.  Will test with the beta firmware, appreciate it.

Message 525 of 707
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7