× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX120 V2 Constant Random Reboots

elkend
Aspirant

I’d like to test the beta that keeps the RAX120v2 up and running. First three SN digits are 6JY and I’m using Xfinity, I believe my modem is the Netgear CM700. Thank you!

Message 576 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

Sent.

@elkend wrote:

I’d like to test the beta that keeps the RAX120v2 up and running. First three SN digits are 6JY and I’m using Xfinity, I believe my modem is the Netgear CM700. Thank you!

Message 577 of 707
rax120v2user
Aspirant

Serial: 6JY...

Modem: Arris Surfboard SB6190
ISP: Spectrum

Please pm me the link to the beta firmware.

Trying to work from home and constant reboots.

Thanks

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 578 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

Sent.

@rax120v2user wrote:

Modem: Arris Surfboard SB6190
ISP: Spectrum

Please pm me the link to the beta firmware.

Trying to work from home and constant reboots.

Thanks

Message 579 of 707
rax120v2
Aspirant

I am also experiencing the random reboot issue every few days, with 2.4GHz radio disabled.

May I get the beta FW to test it out? Serial starts with 6JY on Spectrum model ET2251 DOCSIS 3.1 via CAT8 cable.
Message 580 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

Sent.

@rax120v2 wrote:
I am also experiencing the random reboot issue every few days, with 2.4GHz radio disabled.

May I get the beta FW to test it out? Serial starts with 6JY on Spectrum model ET2251 DOCSIS 3.1 via CAT8 cable.

Message 581 of 707
ryfoo
Aspirant

I asked a few days ago for the beta firmware but have had no reply, not sure if i'm missing information.

My serial starts with 6K0

I use a China Unicom VN007+ modem, and my ISP is EE.

Message 582 of 707
Itama
Aspirant

I'd also like to request a copy of the beta firmware. Thanks!

Modem: Technicolor CGM4140COM

Provider: Comcast/Xfinity

Message 583 of 707
mvult2
Initiate

I have a NETGEAR Nighthawk WiFi 6 Router (RAX120) 12-Stream Dual-Band Gigabit Router, AX6000, purchased in April 2022.  Serial starts with 6JY.

The WiFi completely goes down about once a day, for 1-2 minutes at a time.  I've tried everything, including updating firmware, disabling guest network, and a factory reset.

Will the beta firmware help ?  If so, please send it to me.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 584 of 707
no6969el
Guide

Just got my router for Christmas and its doing what a lot are complaining about. Serial starts with 6JY.  I am interested in the beta firmware.  Manually rebooting fixes the issue.  Leds on router show internet but all devices lose connectivity.  Looking forward to testing this.  Done everything that previous user stated as well.

Model: NETGEAR Nighthawk WiFi 6 Router (RAX120)

Message 585 of 707
Mujiga
Tutor

Is it still possible to obtain the beta/RC firmware? I too am experiencing random reboots with the RAX120v2 on firmware 1.2.8.40. Mine is currently in AP mode and its connected to an Ubiquiti ER-4.

Router Serial - 6JY

ISP - Spectrum

Modem - CM1000v1

Thanks

Message 586 of 707
no6969el
Guide

I wanted to chime in that disabling WMM fixed this issue for me.   I am still interested in an update that will allow me to use WMM again though as I read it is pretty neat.

Message 587 of 707

I’ve been running the beta Fw for about 7 weeks and I’ve had one reboot after 20 or so days, it’s been 30 days since then and no more issues.

Any idea when NG are going to release this to the masses and stop the frustration this is causing for so many of their customers?
Message 588 of 707
hfallife
Aspirant

I got the same rebooting issue on rax120v2. 
My serial starts with 6K0.

ISP: China Unicom
Modem: Huawei optixstar hn8346x6-c

Not sure if the beta FM fit for my devices. Thanks!

Message 589 of 707
no6969el
Guide

回复: RAX120 V2 Constant Random Reboots

I highly encourage anyone who is having these issues on their Knighthawk to please disable WMM (uncheck both) and test it out.  This may work for you until they release a proper fix.

Screenshot 2022-12-27 165217.jpg

Message 590 of 707
Banjo001
Tutor

Regretfully I am also having these problems

Turned on fan, turned off WMM and still get reboots. Usually when a fire TV stick is operating.

Anyway at my wits end, so need the beta please.

Serial : 6KO
Modem; Arris TG2492
Current firmware is the .40

Help us desperate . V2 Rax120
Message 591 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure you bridge that Arris gateway modem.

Sent. 

@Banjo001 wrote:
Regretfully I am also having these problems

Turned on fan, turned off WMM and still get reboots. Usually when a fire TV stick is operating.

Anyway at my wits end, so need the beta please.

Serial : 6KO
Modem; Arris TG2492
Current firmware is the .40

Help us desperate . V2 Rax120

Message 592 of 707
Banjo001
Tutor

Thank you
It’s a Virgin Media home Hub 3 (UK) which I believe is an arris. Why does this make a big difference?

Thanks
Message 593 of 707

@Banjo001 wrote:

It’s a Virgin Media home Hub 3 (UK) which I believe is an arris. Why does this make a big difference?

Because most ISPs supply customers with a combined modem/router. So adding a RAX120 to that means that you have two routers on your network.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect or block addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

It may be possible to put the Virgin modem/router into modem only (bridge) mode and then to use the second device as the router.

Can I put Hub in Bridge Mode - Virgin Media Community - 4888868

Some Internet service providers, such as BT in the UK, supply modem/routers that won't work in bridge mode. There may be ways to get the modem/router to cooperate. Sometimes it is easier to put the second router into AP mode. But that has its own drawbacks:

Disabled Features on the Router when set to AP Mode | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 594 of 707
Banjo001
Tutor

I’ve put the new patch onto my router and it’s been up for a week with no problems at all.

Was really concerned about putting a bit of firmware on you the router from the net but it actually works!! Ive even tried to crash it by overloading it with lots of streaming video.

Thanks to all.
Message 595 of 707
Kips
Aspirant

I have the same reboot issues with my RAX120v2 router. Tried most of the stuff like playing with WMM on 2.4ghz, removing QoS rules, turning 2.4ghz off altogether, removing 2.4ghz devices, turning fan constant on, turning on “improve 2.4ghz”, chilling the router with extra fan, testing on other power circuit etc. Some of the stuff worked for a bit but I never got full 2 days straight uptime with all these tricks. In my home I have several google home minis, google home hub, google nest audio, chromecast. I have some SmartThings sensors on Wi-Fi 2.4ghz, I have a lot of Zigbee devices (2.4ghz but not wifi), wireless printer on 2.4ghz, humidifier 2.4ghz, camera 2.4ghz and boy…. Moved everything that I possibly could to 5ghz - left like 3 devices on 2.4ghz. Slightly more stable but reboots still occurred at least once a day.

I decided to give a try with another power adapter. I purchased a second-hand one for $10
to test. It was not designed for RAX120v2, but it was actual 60W 19V.
I reenabled all the previously disabled features like WMM, QoS rules and surprisingly enough it is still up (2d 8h days and counting). I know it’s not long enough to consider it a permanent solution, but I have high hopes - I never had it up for that long.

FYI I have never installed the beta firmware. Still on stock 1.2.8.40.

I will let you know once it reboots at any point.
Thanks!
Message 596 of 707
blakey84
Guide

Everyone’s tried all of that. It’s a lot less hassle just to use the beta firmware…
Message 597 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, I've got many reports back saying the beta fixes this issue on v2s. Working well. 

Power adapters are not a factor in this either. 

@blakey84 wrote:
Everyone’s tried all of that. It’s a lot less hassle just to use the beta firmware…

Message 598 of 707
Kips
Aspirant

Got it. If that’s the best solution so far, can I get the beta firmware too?
SN starts with 6K0

Thanks!
Message 599 of 707
Mujiga
Tutor

After using the beta firmware for about the last week, I can say that it does remedy the random reboots and wifi drops. Very pleased with the RAX120v2 since upgrading to the beta firmware. I keep mine in AP mode, and it works a treat!!!! I didn't experience any issues during the upgrade. The router rebooted normally after installing the beta firmware. I did a factory reset, as one should, and setup everything again. It has been working great for the last 6 days.

The only minor issue I have experienced since the beta upgrade, is I have notice that my Roku Ultra does buffer far more than normal. Compared to the R9000, the Roku buffers more on the RAX120. I rarely experienced buffering on the R9000.

Really looking forward to the stable release, hopefully soon, of the beta firmware.

Thanks again to @FURRYe38 for supplying the beta firmware.

Just FYI, I'm using the supplied power adapter. I don't think, at least in my case, the power adapter was causing my issues. Firmware fixed it for me.

Message 600 of 707
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7