× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX120 V2 Constant Random Reboots

betterfaster
Tutor

I have the same serial! Might be a bad batch?

Message 626 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

No it's FW releated, only on v2s.

What is the brand and model# of the ISP modem/ONT that the router is connected too.

Sent.

@betterfaster wrote:

Serial starts with 6JY

Message 627 of 707
betterfaster
Tutor

Currently using ARRIS SB6190 with Xfinity.

I'm switching to Sonic 10Gbps Jan 11!

I ran NordVPN for about 1hour today on my main PC pulling 2-3 Mbps and didn't hit any reboot this time around.

- in the past when running NordVPN on my PC, the router would reboot 5-10 times over 60 minutes, sometimes back to back reboots.

Message 628 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

Will be good to get rid of that 6190. Long standing known issues with that chipset modem. 

Message 629 of 707
beachmiles
Apprentice

Trying to get customers to replace very common internet cable modems that work just fine with most every other router is probably the wrong path to take. You said the same thing about my fairly recent very common Motorola surfboard 6190 modem which had no random reboots and no video streaming glitches on my previous netgear AC router.
The new beta firmware is definitely much more stable as far as random reboots although I occasionally now have a few hiccups in streaming 4k video connected via the 5ghz link.
Message 630 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

Cabling is a recommendation only. And for some who are using the multi gig port, better class cable is recommended. 

The SB6190 was just mentioned as well as it does have long standing and well known chip set vulnerabilities. But again, was a suggestion. Thats up to you if you still want to keep using it. 

There maybe a bit more tuning needed be NG however the beta is only to stop the reboots. Does nothing else to fix other items that maybe seen by NG. If you feel there is something else wrong, please start a NEW post thread and we can troubleshoot it and get it reviewed by NG so they know. 

@beachmiles wrote:
Trying to get customers to replace very common internet cable modems that work just fine with most every other router is probably the wrong path to take. You said the same thing about my fairly recent very common Motorola surfboard 6190 modem which had no random reboots and no video streaming glitches on my previous netgear AC router.
The new beta firmware is definitely much more stable as far as random reboots although I occasionally now have a few hiccups in streaming 4k video connected via the 5ghz link.

Message 631 of 707
hfallife
Aspirant

May I have the beta FW? My serial starts with 6K0. Encounter the same constantly rebooting issue.

Message 632 of 707
EpicEnigma
Guide

Can I get the beta aswell I have the RAX120v2 and I keep getting my wifi devices dropped but my lan connections stay good.

Message 633 of 707
Teknishun1
Star

Over a year later and they haven't solved this issue. Way to go Netgear!

Message 634 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

Is this with the recent beta? 

@Teknishun1 wrote:

Over a year later and they haven't solved this issue. Way to go Netgear!

Message 635 of 707
Teknishun1
Star

Why do we have to jump through hoops with a year old problem, put it into production, even if it's a checkbox.

Message 636 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

What's the first 3 characters of your routers serial number please. 

Let me know if you wanna give the beta a go. Everyone whos got it has reported it stopped the reboots. 

@Teknishun1 

Message 637 of 707
EpicEnigma
Guide

If you ask for the beta firmware, they will give it to you and it solved my problems completely. It needs rushed through beta and sent out to avoid all these headaches.

Message 638 of 707
Teknishun1
Star

Too late, I've boxed it up. I don't work for Netgear. They can send me a free one if they want to experiment on my time. Otherwise my consulting rate is 80/hr

Message 639 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

Was the beta FW file for the reboot issue. Oh well.

Glad it works for others. 

Good Luck.

Message 640 of 707
nbx326
Aspirant

Can I please have the beta firmware. Serial # 6JY

@DarrenM 

Message 641 of 707
nbx326
Aspirant

Can I please have the beta firmware. Serial # 6JY

@FURRYe38 

Message 642 of 707
cj7s1
Aspirant

I too have been encountering this problem on my router. Serial number starts with 6JY. Could someone provide me with the beta firmware for testing please. Thank you

Message 643 of 707
JMALEC75
Tutor

So about 80 days and no reboots whatsoever.

My question is,,,  What is the beta firmware "fixing" on this obviously trash piece of hardware?

Seems to me that it's dumbing something down to mitigate the issue.

Message 644 of 707
no6969el
Guide

Hello all, I wanted to come back to report on the BETA firmware.  I did not want to come back too early and even though I feel a half a month is still too short to report anything, I felt like people are running impatient and the mods need to know the end result.

I have not had any issues requiring a reboot since I updated and factory reset about 16 or so days ago.

The problem for me was different than most reported here and my issue was not the router "rebooting" but instead it seemed like whenever I requested two devices on my network to download a large file at the same time it would "seize"  All the lights on top would act as if nothing is wrong but all network functionality was dead, could not even log into the router.  Turning the router off and on again would fix this.

Ever since installing the firmware I have not had this issue anymore.

I however have noticed that sometimes the network runs slower than I expect it should, but I have not noticed enough to complain about, just to mention.. perhaps I am just being overly sensitive to it all now.

Message 645 of 707
GeneralKenobi
Aspirant

Could I get a link for the beta firmware? Having rebooting issues every couple of days. @FURRYe38 

Serial Number: 6K0

Message 646 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the brand and model# modem/ONT the RAX is connected too? 
Use the 1Gb WAN port or 2.5Gb multi-gig port for it's internet connection?

Sent. 

@GeneralKenobi wrote:

Could I get a link for the beta firmware? Having rebooting issues every couple of days. @FURRYe38 

Serial Number: 6K0

Message 647 of 707
cookiemonsterr
Aspirant

Can i please have the beta please

Serial Number 6JY,  Modem Brand Sagemcom,  Model#  F@ST3896 UM, ISP Mediacom

Message 648 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the modem in router or bridged mode? 

Sent.

@cookiemonsterr wrote:

Can i please have the beta please

Serial Number 6JY,  Modem Brand Sagemcom,  Model#  F@ST3896 UM, ISP Mediacom

Message 649 of 707
nbx326
Aspirant

Replying to say that the beta firmware fixed this issue for me. Thank you @FURRYe38 

Message 650 of 707
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7