× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX120 V2 Constant Random Reboots

FURRYe38
Guru

👍

@nbx326 wrote:

Replying to say that the beta firmware fixed this issue for me. Thank you @FURRYe38 

Message 651 of 707
bc1234
Aspirant

Can I get the beta FW? Serial # starts with 6JY.  Modem is CM2000.

Message 652 of 707
cookiemonsterr
Aspirant

They have the  WiFi turned off so I'm going to assume it's in bridge mode.

Message 653 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

No, the router portion is still running. It's recommended to bridge the modem fully or use the DMZ on the modem.

@cookiemonsterr wrote:

They have the  WiFi turned off so I'm going to assume it's in bridge mode.

Message 654 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

Sent. 

CAT6A STP cable is recommended between the Modem and RAX router.

@bc1234 wrote:

Can I get the beta FW? Serial # starts with 6JY.  Modem is CM2000.

Message 655 of 707
petterpan
Aspirant

Same, makes me think they did something concerning the performance or security of the device to mitigate the rebooting issue. 

Message 656 of 707
no6969el
Guide

Yeah even though mine has not rebooted yet I still feel like its not working at top speed.  Before I go into further complaining I may do some network testing with both of my routers to see if this one is running any better than my cheap older Asus 63U.

Message 657 of 707
no6969el
Guide

I am very concerned about this process.  When I contacted support they advised me not to install FW from the forum.

I understand this could be a case of one department not talking with another or perhaps someone on the inside trying to get this fixed without proper approval but I will will post the response here so maybe it can be handled internally.

Email from Netgear Tech Support:

Good day!

I am sorry if there is a misunderstanding between us. I don't recommend you to install the beta firmware that is going around the forum. Our L2 Department are the one who will give you the file and install it to the router. We in our department don't have an access for the version of the firmware, we just know that there is a beta firmware for this device. We only recommend the customer to install the firmware available in our support site (http://support.netgear.com/product/).

Thank you for choosing NETGEAR.

Regards,

Gay
Netgear Support Expert

Message 658 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

Please know that this FW IS From NG and the engineering team that worked to fix the reboot issue ONLY on the RAX120v2. User can only get this from here in the forums.

Some NG support group may not be aware of it and it won't be on NG support site for download. This is an internal FW patch for users with v2s only. It is sanctioned by NG and is only for the v2 and users seeing the reboot issue. Once NG engineering get this fully tuned in, NG will make it official and release it ON NG download site. 

Thank you. 

Message 659 of 707
bachree
Initiate

How do I request this beta firmware to cease the random restarts? Mine likes to restart at about 6pm every other day or so. I have confirmed that it is the router that is restarting and not the modem

@FURRYe38 

I see that the official FW V1.2.8.40 was released in September 2022 and addressed security vulnerabilities. Is the beta FW older than that which makes the device vulnerable?

It is a V2 and Serial  starts with #6JY225U

Message 660 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

No.

Sent.

@bachree wrote:

How do I request this beta firmware to cease the random restarts? Mine likes to restart at about 6pm every other day or so. I have confirmed that it is the router that is restarting and not the modem

@FURRYe38 

I see that the official FW V1.2.8.40 was released in September 2022 and addressed security vulnerabilities. Is the beta FW older than that which makes the device vulnerable?

It is a V2 and Serial  starts with #6JY225U

Message 661 of 707
RAX120V2_TX
Aspirant

Can i please get the beta firmware? I have the RX120V2 with S/N starting with 6JY.

Thanks!

Message 662 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Sent. 

@RAX120V2_TX wrote:

Can i please get the beta firmware? I have the RX120V2 with S/N starting with 6JY.

Thanks!

Message 663 of 707
RAX120V2_TX
Aspirant

Its Spectrum one. Model ET2251

Message 664 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 665 of 707
no6969el
Guide

Thank you for the response.  So far Beta FW is working.  Please push this to official asap as I think we should also know officially what exactly is going on.  I want to know what needed to be changed to get this not to mess up, was anything downclocked or limited?

Message 666 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

NG doesn't usually tell anyone how or what was fixed. 
You'll need to keep an eye on NGs download site for the next official FW release is all I can offer. 

Good Luck. 

Message 667 of 707
kreamerlol
Aspirant

Hello, can I please get this beta firmware for my router too? Random reboots since I've owned it. Done the factory reset to no avail. RAX120v2. 

Message 668 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

What's the first 3 characters of the router serial number seen on your router?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

@kreamerlol wrote:

Hello, can I please get this beta firmware for my router too? Random reboots since I've owned it. Done the factory reset to no avail. RAX120v2. 

Message 669 of 707
Ghbarker
Aspirant

Can I get the beta FW? Serial # starts with 6JY.
Message 670 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

Sent.

@Ghbarker wrote:
Can I get the beta FW? Serial # starts with 6JY.

Message 671 of 707
kreamerlol
Aspirant

The first 3 are 6JY for the serial.

I am using a Netgear Modem and high-quality CAT6 cabling too. 

Message 672 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

Is there a model# of the NG modem? 

Sent. 

@kreamerlol wrote:

The first 3 are 6JY for the serial.

I am using a Netgear Modem and high-quality CAT6 cabling too. 

Message 673 of 707
cboghiu
Aspirant

Please a beta firmware request rax120 serial 5F7

Message 674 of 707
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you give feedback on this? 

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the first 3 characters of your RAX120 serial number?

@Obsidian_ wrote:
I need to get my hands on that firmware because mine is doing the exact same thing. I previously had the R7800 and it was perfect. It could easily handle all 60 of my connected devices without issue.

Needed to upgrade my router up at my cabin, so I bought this and boy has it been a mess. It's fast and puts out a strong 5Ghz signal but it gets overwhelmed all the time and the internet just starts chugging, dropping down to horrid speeds until it finally just lags out or reboots.

It's dropping all connections too, wired and wireless. I have a two APs in my house that are wired in and I use those for my 2.4Ghz smart home stuff, on separate SSIDs.

I turned off WMM and that helped a bit but still losing connection/rebooting 2 times a day. I finally just turned off the 2.4GHz all together but it didn't help.

Could you please point me in the direction of the beta firmware. I was mainly running Voxel's builds on my R7800 and now that all that's available for this is stock firmware I'm cringing at my purchase.

Message 675 of 707
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7