× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX120 V2 Reboots - Well after about 45 days of uninterrupted uptime on the beta

mlm44
Star

RAX120 V2 Reboots - Well after about 45 days of uninterrupted uptime on the beta

Well after about 45 days of uninterrupted uptime on the beta I'm back to the same old problems. We had a power outage five days ago and ever since then the router has been rebooting itself about five minutes after I boot up my laptop, which is a wired connection to the router. After the router reboots it runs fine for the rest of the day. I have power cycled the router a few times. No idea what is going on here. When will NG release an updated firmware?

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RAX120 V2 Reboots - Well after about 45 days of uninterrupted uptime on the beta

So lets check this. 
Is the laptop the only wired device wired connected to the router? 

Do other devices exhibit this? 

What is the brand and model of the laptop? 

What is the brand and model of the ethernet adapter built in to the laptop? 

Is the ethernet drivers up to date for this ethernet adatper? 

What port are you using on the router for the laptop? Multi Gig or 1Gb LAN port? 

What CAT# lan cable are you using? 

Message 2 of 7
mlm44
Star

Re: RAX120 V2 Reboots - Well after about 45 days of uninterrupted uptime on the beta

There are 11 wired devices including smart TVs, Tivos, Rokus and an Xbox direct and via unmanaged switches. And there are 19 wireless devices.

No other devices are exhibiting this at this time. The reboot happens after I boot up the laptop each morning, and not right away, but about five minutes later. Nothing has changed on the laptop since last week. The only thing that happened was the power outage.

Laptop is HP EliteBook 840 G3.

Adapter is Intel I219-LM.

Drivers are up to date.

Using 1Gbit port.

Cat 6 cable to the switch and Cat 6 from the switch to the router.

Now explain to me how any of this matters. I have been running this configuration ever since I installed the router in September. And I ran this configuration for over two years on my old NG router without any issues.

The answer is that this RAX120 router has a flaw that NG either cannot or will not resolve. I am not doing anything out of the ordinary with my setup.

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the brand and model # of the switch in the middle? 
Can you check and see if you directly connect to the router with out the swich does it do same thing? 

I know you did a factory reset after applying the beta right? No saved configurations from backup? 

Might try another FR and see if this continues. 

Would need debug logs to send to NG regarding this. 

Haven't seen anyone else reporting bad behavior after the beta loaded though not sure whos all reached 45 days yet...

Have you powered OFF the ISP modem and router for 1 good minute then back ON with the modem first then router? 

Seems odd that only this one laptop does this. If you don't reboot the laptop at all, leave it ON or in sleep mode, do you still see the reboot on the router? 

Message 4 of 7
mlm44
Star

Well all of the RAX120 behavior has been odd so who knows what's going on this time. Fingers pointing in many directions.

I did a FR after I installed the beta. Maybe the power outage screwed up a device or two in my network, but I don't know what it could be. Everything is back to normal now, but I have some IoT devices like smart bulbs that do not like being kicked off of the router. I had to reconfigure all of them to get them back online.

At this point I think my time would be better spent going to Best Buy and getting a different router. With 30+ devices I don't have patience to hunt down a culprit. No amount of troubleshooting is going to solve this issue. Many people have posted problems with this router, so it's not an isolated problem. We thought the beta was good and it was for a while so I just don't know how much more I can deal with this router.

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Not everyone is seeing problems after the beta was loaded. Could be anything at this point that maybe over looked and not common to others.

Does the router seem overly warm or hot when this happens? 

Get something that works for you. 

I'll pass this on to NG for review. 

Message 6 of 7
mlm44
Star

It doesn't seem any hotter than usual. It is running in a cool location, about 60-62 degrees ambient.

I just want to know when NG will finally release a new firmware update. How much longer do we need to run the beta? If the general release is coming soon I might try to wait for it.

Anything good to say about the RAXE290? Seems similar but fewer antennas. I prefer greater range from the router without having to go to a mesh.

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7