× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX120 can’t break 1000mbps

BossMFNFoxx
Aspirant

RAX120 can’t break 1000mbps

Hey guys, I picked up a Netgear CM2000 modem and a RAX120 on prime day for a great deal. I subsequently upgraded my ISP plan to 1200mbps to take advantage of the new equipment. I’ve been running a Speedtest daily at all hours, even 4AM since it’s over cable and peak times affect speeds, trying to break the 1000mb barrier but with no luck — I often hit around 935mbps down and that’s the highest. I have the latest firmware installed on the router and don’t see any physical issues. Is there a setting that I’m missing somewhere restricting me? Any help would be appreciated!
Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: RAX120 can’t break 1000mbps

how are you testing speeds? what device, is it over ethernet? what port is it connected to? 

Reason I ask these is the RAX120 has a 5/2.5/1 gig port that can be used as a wan port for the cm2000. 

After that, all its other ports are 1gig ports. it does have the capability of port aggregation but unless you're using that, all its wired output connections will max out at that 940mbps (ish)

Message 2 of 4
BossMFNFoxx
Aspirant

Ahh I see! That makes sense. So can I run my cat7 from the modem to the router’s 5/2.5/1 port and break that speed? It’s currently plugged into the WAN port labeled “internet”.

I’ve been testing over wifi. My cpu unfortunately kicked the bucket (make sure to cool your overclock properly kids) so I only have wifi at the moment to test. I’ve been using my iPhone 12 and my XPS; they all top out at around that 940mbps you mentioned.
Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

"break the speed"---not necissarily. Because the other ports are only 1gig. but you could hit 1 gig on the other ports with the wifi on another device is being used to hit that greater than 1 gig speeds. 

I run into the same issue with my RAXE500/RAX200 in that they can hit faster than 1 gig but not hardwired (unless using lan port aggregation)

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7