× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX120 constantly rebooting, fan never runs, temperature is NaNC, getting up to 265 deg F

JoeGranola
Aspirant

RAX120 constantly rebooting, fan never runs, temperature is NaNC, getting up to 265 deg F

I highly recommened avoiding this router, it has major heat issues.

The RAX120 is randomly and constantly rebooting. I did some troubleshooting and it turns out I can get consistent readings of 160 degrees F and up to 265 degrees F with a laser thermometer pointed through the fan grill at the circuit board. I checked the fan settings here http://routerlogin.net/Thermal_FAN.htm and it looks like the temperature sensor is not functional in this router because it is returning a temperature of NaNC. The fan never runs unless I turn it to always on in the debug menu http://192.168.1.1/debug.htm , but even then the router still reboots randomly (also turning the always on fan setting off). It seems like the included fan isn't adequate even when it's forced on all the time.

I just wanted to report what I found in case others are having the constant rebooting issue with the RAX120. It's most likely constantly overheating and the fan is not turning on because the temperature sensors in the router don't work. 

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RAX120 constantly rebooting, fan never runs, temperature is NaNC, getting up to 265 deg F

What version if your RAX120? 
WHat is the 1st 3 characters of the routers serial number on the sticker in back? 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

What all do you have connected to it? 

I highly doubt the router is getting to 265F. 🙄

Message 2 of 4
JoeGranola
Aspirant

Re: RAX120 constantly rebooting, fan never runs, temperature is NaNC, getting up to 265 deg F

I just purchased this router October of 2022. Version 2, latest firmware. Connected to a CM2000 with included cable. 6JY. The whole router itself isn't that hot but something inside the router is getting to 265 degrees F, I got the reading several times while trying to angle the laser underneath the fan through the mesh. I can take a picture or video if you need proof. It makes sense considering there is a fan that isn't functioning properly that is supposed to be cooling something. There's absolutely no air flow or cooling taking place.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

There is a beta FW available if your interested trying it. Been many users reporting it fixes the reboot issue. https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-with-WiFi-6-AX-and/RAX120-V2-Constant-Random-Reboots/td-p...

What CAT# lan cable are you using between the modem and router? CAT6A STP would be recommended. 

As suggestion and something I've been using, I use a laptop fan cooler under any router I have online. Provides 24/7 cooling and helps save the HW from heat damage over time. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7