× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX120 firmware update

pgjscottieuk
Guide

RAX120 firmware update

Hi my RAX120 keeps going offline and i have to reboot the firnware is up to date but i am confused the router shows its firmware as

V1.0.1.90 but on the Netgear website it shows the current version as V1.0.0.84 is this what is causing my problems any help would be much appreciated as getting help from Netgear is almost impossible without having a heart attack 

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: RAX120 firmware update

Once in a while the update rolls out to the auto-update server before it goes to the support server and vice versa. Causes issues but your firmware is probably the correct one. 

With the new RAX devices, anytime they're having issues after a firmware update, I'd recommend a reset back to factory as thats helped with quite a few of the issues I've had with mine. I've got the RAX200 and whenever an update causes a problem, I factory reset it and it tends to resolve them. 

Also, did you do the update over a hardwired connection?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Once in a while the update rolls out to the auto-update server before it goes to the support server and vice versa. Causes issues but your firmware is probably the correct one. 

With the new RAX devices, anytime they're having issues after a firmware update, I'd recommend a reset back to factory as thats helped with quite a few of the issues I've had with mine. I've got the RAX200 and whenever an update causes a problem, I factory reset it and it tends to resolve them. 

Also, did you do the update over a hardwired connection?

Message 2 of 8
pgjscottieuk
Guide

Hi thanks for your reply factory resetting is all very well but then i have to reconfigure the port forwarding things i have etc

For the money this router is rubbish i wish i had stayed with the free ISP router and saved £350

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

You can make a backup configuration of your device. If the firmware changes to much, the backup can cause issues but they're usually fine.

It is part of the price you pay for buying a draft AX device. Its a new wireless standard that was just ratified last week. There's going to be issues and the firmware is more beta candidate than release candidate. But most of the router manufacturers are having issues if you read their forums. Its not been a smooth transition from wireless AC to wireless AX  

Message 4 of 8
pgjscottieuk
Guide

Hi yes thats why i bought it i have a totally wired home network including a new MS510TX switch to go with the multi gigabit port of the RAX  dont do wi fi except for iphones ipads 

Message 5 of 8
pgjscottieuk
Guide

Hi yes i have a totally wired home network with the MS510TX  network switch at the heart to take advantage of the 1/2.5/5GB port the RAX120 has only use Wi Fi for iPhones and Ipads everything else in the house is hard wired

Message 6 of 8
pgjscottieuk
Guide

Thank you for your help i rolled back to the firmware version from the Netgear website and have turned off auto update as when i am away i dont want my RAX 120 going offline as i like to be able to monitor my heating security cameras etc i need and want things to be stable i like an unstressful life 

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

Hopefully it works for you. Whenever there's new firmware release they usually have release notes that describe changes. If my stuff is working well and there wasn't much for changes or security updates, I'll skip an update or 2. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7