× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX120 internet speeds slows when using the MGig port with a CM2000

FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RAX120 internet speeds slows when using the MGig port with a CM2000

So you have the CM modem connected to the 2.5Gb MP port on the RAX or is your wired PC connected to the MG port? 

What is the brand and model ethernet adatper on these PCs?

Please confirm CAT# cableing. There is no CAT6e only CAT5, CAT5e and CAT6 and CAT6A. 

I recommend that if you have the CM connected to the MG port or Yellow 1G Internet port on RAX, install a CAT6A STP lan cable between them. Don't use UTP.  OR if you have the MG port connecting to your wired PC, CAT6A STP cabling as well. 

Message 26 of 31
anderpf
Aspirant

Hi,

- I have a usual setup with the CM2000 cable modem with coax supplied by xFinity, The 2.5 Gig modem ethernet connection is wired to the 1/2.5/5 MG port on the RAX120 using a 6 ft, CAT6e cable, with my PC wired to LAN 1 on the router using CAT5e.

- CAT6e cable does exist. Please see https://thenetworkinstallers.com/blog/cat6e-vs-cat6a/

Message 27 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

"Cat 6e” is not a recognized standard and has no agreed meaning."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_6_cable

Regardless, Cable should be STP and not UTP. 

And Id run CAT6 UTP from the LAN port on the router to the PC. Just to ensure good stable connection and performances. 

Message 28 of 31
anderpf
Aspirant

- The unrecognized CAT6e standard has shielding on the plugs. Whether there is shielding on the cable, I guess you would have to strip off the casing to find out.

- I'd love to have CAT6 (or 7) from the router LAN port to the PC, but my house has 14 runs of CAT5e installed in the walls.

Hopefully it will work sufficiently well for a 1 Gig network.

Message 29 of 31
schumaku
Guru

The reason why the MultiGig standard was established as it was to protect the existing investment in CAT5, CAT5E, and CAT6 cabling out there in the field (with hundreds or thousands of exiting port installations). GbE, 2.5G, 5G does run over good Cat5e installations, 10 GbE is limited to about 55 meters (including patch cables), Cat 6 or better does support full 10GbE with ease, on 95 meters with installations (plus patch cords max 100 m). 

MultiGig Ethernet including 2.5G and 5G.PNG

If you expect even faster speeds over copper Ethernet, with Cat. 8.1, the maximum cable reach will be limited to about 30 meters for 40 GbE, resp. 24 meters for 25 GbE - a big investment, and major change in the building and cabling structure. All numbers borrowed from https://rdm.com/ (Reichle & De-Massari AG).

Message 30 of 31
FURRYe38
Guru

STP is it is printed on the cable. UTP or STP will be or should be printed on the cable. If you don't see any markings regarding this, then find something that does. 

Yes, 5e is good for 1Gb. Should be no issues there. 

I have seen odd ball router reboots and odd performance issues using UTP cabling. After switching to STP cabling, those have not re-appeared. I believe that due to the higher connection speeds over 1Gb, there is some noise and interferences that can be experienced at this higher speeds if cabling isn't STP. Also most STP cabling is fairly inexpensive enough to make the change where I can so most any and all cabling I have in the home is CAT6A from device to device. Ya I had the opportunity to also pre plan and install CAT6A in wall when our addition house was built. So I was lucky there. 

However out of wall and in between devices, you can ensure you have the best in cabling and rule out odd ball issues if you can. 

One test you can try is don't use the MG port. Just use the yellow WAN port and LAN ports. See if the router is fully stable on a 1Gb WAN to LAN line over time. If stable here, then possible some odd problem that could be looked at by NG. I might be able to get my RAX online and help check this as well. I also have a CM series modem with MG support. 

@anderpf wrote:

- The unrecognized CAT6e standard has shielding on the plugs. Whether there is shielding on the cable, I guess you would have to strip off the casing to find out.

- I'd love to have CAT6 (or 7) from the router LAN port to the PC, but my house has 14 runs of CAT5e installed in the walls.

Hopefully it will work sufficiently well for a 1 Gig network.

Message 31 of 31
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 30 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7