× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX120 only getting 500mbps with verified 1gb from isp

Cjoseph710
Follower

RAX120 only getting 500mbps with verified 1gb from isp

I'm only getting an average of 500mbps wireless download speeds from my RAX120. I have verified my modem is delivering 1gb to the router and I can get 1gb downloads over ethernet from the back of the router. I've used both my wifi 6 enabled galaxy s10 and my laptop to check wireless but never get better than 500mbps
Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: RAX120 only getting 500mbps with verified 1gb from isp

So to clarify.

1. modem-pc you get 1 gig

2. Modem---router---wired pc you get 1 gig

3. wireless you get 500mbps?

Wireless speeds aren't going to be as fast as wired. Wireless AX has gotten us closer to hitting wired speeds but its not quite as consistent because wireless has many variables that impact its performance. 

What laptop card are you using?

is your RAX120 running 160hz wide channels? to run 160hz wide you should be utilizing the dfs channels. maybe your area has a lot of usage of dfs (military base, airport, etc) and isn't able to use it as much. 

Many things impact wireless speeds. Like I mentioned, the channel width. there's other things like wireless interference, housing materials (certain materials do great jobs of blocking wifi), distance, and even the device testing with. If you're router is outputting 1gig over a hardwired connection, its functioning as should and then its down to optimizing your wireless settings/environment/devices. 

Wireless AX did have some speed increases but its biggest increase was to concurrent broadcasting (more than 1 wireless device broadcasting/recieving at the same time). 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7