× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX120 readyshare issue

gworley1
Aspirant

RAX120 readyshare issue

I have an RAX 120 drive issue.   I have an enclosure that has two separate drives. Readyshare sees both drives on is assigned the let U: and the other is assigned T:. I assign them a share name of NAS1 and NAS2.  However when I do a "net view \\readyshare" from the command line I get two shares list a list of shares that are NAS1 and NAS1(T).  If I add another share to a folder on the second drive that I called Test, it doesn't show up. If I create a share called george1 and map it to a folder on the first drive I get the following when I do a net view \\readyshare from the command line:

X:\>net view \\readyshare

Shared resources at \\readyshare

NETGEAR RAX120

Share name            Type                                    Used as Comment

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
George1                 Disk
George1(T)            Disk                                             X:
NAS1                     Disk                                             Y:
NAS1(T)                Disk                                             Z:
The command completed successfully.

If I try to assign a drive letter to George1, I get network path no found.  If I go to Y:  and make a folder called George1 now I can map a drive to George1 as the share is now available.

To me it seems like the firmware thinks the enclosure is a RAID Array when in fact it isn't.  The router configuration utility is seeing them as two seperate drives however they are not.  Also when you reboot the router the shares are not pointing to the same drive as most of the time when a reboot of the router happens the drive that was assign the share of NAS1 and NAS(T) are switch.

The router should not be creating NAS(T) and should be honoring my assigned share name of NAS2 to the drive.  Also if I create a share on the second drive it should be only assigned to the second drive.  This is a bug in the SMB server.

George

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
gworley1
Aspirant

Re: RAX120 readyshare issue

Message 2 of 7
gworley1
Aspirant

Message 3 of 7
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi gworley1, 

Would you mind telling us what firmware version your router is on? 

Christian 

Message 4 of 7
gworley1
Aspirant

I replied but it has seem to have disappeared.

My Router:Nighthawk® AX12 RAX120
Router Firmware Version V1.0.1.136

I have noticed 2 other issues that I have with readyshare.

1) even though I have my settings is "No Password."  I am still asked for a password when trying to connect.  Not cool as there isn't away to add users.

2) Readyshare SMB disappears after about 10 to 20 thousand files are transferred at 1gb transfer.  This takes the most of the router down with it including the ability to access there router via http://192.168.1.1 or the app on my phone.  The only thing that works is the web browsing.  The only way to reliably get the router to work again is to shut it down. I use Goodsync to transfer files so I can limit the bandwidth.  Not really a good way to transfer 200k of files. When you are trying to backup a failing drive as I am right now -- down to 49k and this afternoon the drive wasn't being recognized by Windows.  I took a 4 hour nap and decided to plug the drive into my Mac and was able to mount it.

Thank you,

George Worley

Message 5 of 7
gworley1
Aspirant

More ReadyShare woes...

I use two 3TB drives that are connect to the RAX120 as backups for my 6 systems plus numerous external USB hard drives using Goodsync and Robocopy. And, I have directories that will not copy -- on one external drive that was used to back up a system 5 years ago has 80k of files and directories that will not copy using either Robocopy or Goodsync.  Goodsync says that on the ReadyShare drive that "Cannot create folder: Access is denied. (error 5)" or in the case of subdirectories when parent directory isn't created "Cannot create folder: The system cannot find the path specified. (error 3)".  

Output from Robocopy:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total    Copied    Skipped   Mismatch    FAILED    Extras
Dirs :         41039     41017       41015               0              21           0
Files :       288808            0     286578               0           2239           0
Bytes :  244.163 g            0  240.475 g              0       3.687 g            0
Times :     0:07:11   0:01:24                                       0:00:00   0:03:53
Ended : Saturday, September 26, 2020 06:54:35

The skipped files and directories are because I had already run it.  The files are primarily desktop.ini and the folders are random -- usually system files.  I can sometimes manually create the folders and the files without the errors however in the last experiment with trying to get the files on to the ReadyShare drives, I had 5 directories that I could not delete -- Access denied (error 5).  The only way to delete them or even access them was to safely disconnect the hard drive from the RAX120 and connect it to one of my computers.  The permsions on the folders were missed up so badly I had to take ownership of the directories and files and give myself permission to delete the folders.  I have attached an image file that show the output from GoodSync.  IMHO:  The NAS drives attached to the USB ports on the RAX120 should be able to handle any file that the OS can handle.

Thank you,

George Worley

Message 6 of 7
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi George,

Thanks for the information and updating your post. I can assist with support reaching out to you. If you wish to be contacted, please send me a private message with your email and phone number.

Christian 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7